• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Rotate City

DeletedUser13800

It is often difficult to see small itens or open spaces behind large buildings. It would be beneficial if the city could be rotated allowing visibility from all directions.

DeletedUser15770

The "back" and the "front" of the building images could be the same. Don't overthink it. It would be VERY useful to have a rotate feature. I have to go to City Planner on Elven Architect just to see what is in my way when I can't see some stupid sidewalk or something.

DeletedUser19451

This would be very useful only if we had more time and such for this (AKA Why the events are made). Elvenar would need a big boost of cash inorder to do this to ALL Building and servers

DeletedUser3507

They already make 100's of millions jesh greedy Inno.

DeletedUser3507

I still bet there profit is in the $ 100's of millions
There revenue is way beyond belief

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser19451

They keep this game going by spill all though dollars into the servers, remember it's not just US server but ALL WORLD servers

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
They keep this game going by spill all though dollars into the servers, remember it's not just US server but ALL WORLD servers
Servers aren't much. World of Warcraft servers are under 50m per year, and I doubt inno needs 10% of that.*
Inno also brought in close to 200m last year, so that makes server costs about 2.5% of revenue.
400 employees each making $100,000 is another 40m
The buildings they work in are probably under 5m per year
-----
total 50m

So of the remaining $150,000,000 a significant portion should be profit.

*Note, I don't actually know what inno requires for servers compared to WoW, but considering the size of the playerbase and 3d vs 2d 10% seems a reasonable estimate.

DeletedUser19652

Please allow building rotation.
Not being able to rotate buildings is the number one draw back in this game from my point of view.
It is totally frustrating to a level where you just do not want to play.
when you are playing you can envisage how you want to layout your city but just cannot as the restriction of the blocks frustrates you.
You might think we "the players" enjoy this challenge or it makes the game harder, but it does not, it would be so much more challenging to be able to rotate the buildings and actually bring a lot of pleasure in being able to plan and layout the city in a way which appeals to the player.
It will in fact give a much more diverse range of city layouts which will be so "Cool" as players will visit other cities to see how they have been designed.
At the moment they are all much the same and you do not stop to see how other players have achieved a particular layout if you could rotate the buildings you would stop and look at their layouts and enjoy the creativity of the other players.
I am sure if all the players were polled and asked if they would like this feature, those who have actually built cities will respond with a very big YES.
Just as a matter of interest, how many times has this been asked for?
reading in the game FAQ's it says "no rotating of buildings" so if this gets asked for a lot it should be a big signal to the developers the players want this.
One of the main factors is rotating the plots will allow an amazing diversity of layouts.
It is like driving your car with one hand, sure you can do it but you are restricted and hindered in what you can do and this is the same with the game you are totally restricted in how you can layout your city and it leads to frustration in playing the game and you just stop playing.
player retention is the number one asset to any game and this simple feature would enhance the game and actually make it more challenging as you have to work out which way is the best for your block of land.
I do understand this is maybe a commercial decision as the company wants people to buy Diamonds and then use them to get bigger block of land as this is where they make their money so it kind of forces players to buy diamonds. BUT! good game play is still the most important part of the game and the diamonds will be bought by those who enjoy the game. So why not make it so more people stay and play as it is so much more fun to play when they can design and layout the city their way.
The coding to rotate the block is not hard and it only needs to be done on rectangle blocks the 1x2,1x3,1x4 2x3,2x4, 3x4 etc.
Blocks such as the squares 1x1, 2x2, 3,3, 4x4 and 5x5 there is no need to rotate them.
So the 1x2 can rotate to 2x1, the 2x3 can rotate to 3x2 and so on.
Can we get the developers to reconsider and maybe poll the players to get some feed back then the developers will know for sure how important this is to making the game more enjoyable.
Still believe this should be added to the game.

SoggyShorts

I really hope this never ever happens. There are few enough challenges in the game, and I for one enjoy those that do exist, including being good at designing a city.

The buildings turning when upgrading is a core aspect of the game which forces you to design a new city every chapter.
rotated2.png

As you can see, a level 20 plank is the same size as a level 19, but the orientation changes 90 degrees, adding a challenge. If the game allowed you to simply rotate it back, there'd be no point.

Also, the buildings we see in game are just 2D images, so even if they did allow us to "rotate" them, we wouldn't really be taking a building and "turning" it, we would be swapping it out for a different 2D image.
That is a lot of artist time.

Last edited:

DeletedUser19652

Thank you for your point of view. I kind of follow you in a way but!
I still do not understand why you would you accept everything facing one way and no chance to make the city look the way you want, so you can have the buildings facing either left or right depending on what you want to achieve?
How nice would it be to have the ability to line up sections to face the same way ,for example right now, planks face one way and the marble is the other way, how nice to let your manufactures face all one way with roads down the middle for neatness.
It is a royal pain to keep juggling to get things to look orderly and no way to rotate them.
Nearly every other game allows rotation so why not this one?
A lot of us play for the overall game and still want to design our cities and enjoy swapping them from left view to right view to get the look and feel we want for our city.
As for harder game play it would be just as challenging and definitely a lot more fun rather than smashing your brains coz you cannot arrange your buildings the way you want.
Who wants to sit there with yet another program open "City Planner" trying to get the look right when you can flick your building left and right on screen and see exactly what it will be like.
As for the graphics, Have you ever looked at how these guys work? they are amazing and I have seen them recreate a different perspective of buildings like this in minutes.
I have worked in a software company and they employ programmers and graphic artists so I have first hand experience of what can be done and the time frames involved.
It is very achievable and maybe they can put a switch in the settings to allow building rotation or not then you can play in the format you like and every one is happy as you can choose how you want to play.

SoggyShorts

I still do not understand why you would you accept ev
erything facing one way and no chance to make the city look the way you want
I have no problem getting my city to look the way I want using the tools available.
How nice would it be to have the ability to line up sections to face the same way ,for example right now, planks face one way and the marble is the other way
1. Once you have the trader you should only have 1 of those factory types, not all 3. (you get a huge boost to just one kind and trade for the others)
2. Symmetry isn't hard to achieve at all, just put the same buildings across the street from each other.
Nearly every other game allows rotation so why not this one?
A core component of this game is being forced to redesign your city when building rotation is forced upon you. Each chapter either workshops, residences,or factories (or even all 3) change orientation by 90 degrees, forcing you to redo your city layout in order to maximize your space. As I showed you with the planks example above, allowing rotation would remove this aspect of the game.
I have worked in a software company and they employ programmers and graphic artists so I have first hand experience of what can be done and the time frames involved.
I've been here for over 2 years, and I can assure you that things do not move that quickly at innogames;)

DeletedUser17667

As a Beta player, I can tell you that any changes made to the game go through Beta testing first, which takes time, and if it doesn't make it through Beta for whatever reason, that's it. It doesn't get implemented. Even if it works out, you're still looking at a very long wait time. (And no, it wouldn't be put on a fast-track, because the backlash from players waiting literally years for several approved ideas to be implemented would be so legendary that the Fires of Mount Doom would pale in comparison.)

We still don't even know what's going on with this. :po_O https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/a-community-based-building.15660/