• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Rotate the WHOLE map AND something else

• Thread starter DeletedUser23257
  • Start date

DeletedUser23257

Hey Kids,
I totally understand the logic as to why buildings can't rotate. Having to work with the shape and all that fun. That being said, there are a few things I think would be very cool.

1) Do have building rotating but only for buildings that have a square footprint. As it is, the path can be on any side of the buildings anyway, so why not let the square foot print buildings be rotatable?

2) A zoom Feature to zoom in on the buildings and even on the people walking around. Think about how cool it would be to show someone your town and even your home.

3) Make it possible to Rotate the Entire Map 90 Degrees at a time. That's right, make it possible for us to look at our Map from 4 different sides. You already have designed the 3D art, so why not make it possible to see all around the buildings?

4) Now, this last one is kind of a "Pay for it feature" but it is still a cool idea. I know it works for some MMORPG's for equipment. So this could very well work here too. For some number of Diamonds, offer house painting. If a player pays for the use of the feature to repaint a house or building, then let them. You could offer like 25 to 40 color options perhaps and, as time goes on and updates are done, add more colors even. Heck, if your system tracks how long a player has been playing the game (Free or not), you could offer a bucket of paint every year as a reward for sticking with playing. OR perhaps one that is for how many HOURS a player has played. Perhaps offer one buildings worth of one color of paint and they can use it on one part or the whole thing. Their choice.

For those that don't get the rewards or want more than just one bucket of a single color you could have some kind of "one house/building" price and a "paint as many as you want as often as you want" price. Set it up so that they can click the house/building to paint and it opens the 3D image in a new window where they can rotate the building around 360 Degrees to see all the sides. In the same window, the building will have some colors showing below in boxes. Rooftop colors, Wall colors, Trim Colors, etc. The player then can choose which of those colors to change.

I love the "Rotate the Map" one and the "Paint the buildings one". I envision a person having fun creating their own town with custom colors. Perhaps even choosing a house for their own character to be their house.

and last but not least, if you go with the painting. Perhaps since this is all digital files, throw in some additional stuff like glittery or glowing upgrades to the houses or buildings. For a price of course.

Like this but not as heavy:
https://files.magic-spells-and-poti...animated-glitter-stars-pink-small-132x132.gif

Well, that's about it for now.

Thank you for reading my ideas.

Mistress No

Socrates28

1) Do have building rotating but only for buildings that have a square footprint. As it is, the path can be on any side of the buildings anyway, so why not let the square foot print buildings be rotatable?
The only problem I see with this idea is that not all buildings remain square. Thay have a tendency to shift orientation depending on chapter.
I think your ideas are cool, I just don't know how they would work across the board from a programming and storage perspective. Still, great ideas.

Crowella

Sort of along those lines, I would like to be able to rotate buildings 180 degrees only. So they would still have the same exact footprint. But I'd love to have my grumpy-looking level 1 elf marble factories be able to face each other. Not a super high priority item for me, but it's something I've thought about.

Although I think it's most likely that our buildings are like dollhouses or stage sets: They're actually hollow in back, with no details. But it isn't it cute that we imagine there's more behind there?

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Not something I would personally find attractive in Elvenar, and not something I would ever be willing to pay for (because all of that has a cost that would eventually be passed on to us one way or another), but they're great ideas for an actual kid's game.

69_EmoticonsHDcom1.png

NightshadeCS

Hey Kids,
You already have designed the 3D art, so why not make it possible to see all around the buildings?

The thing is, it is not 3D art. It is 2D art made to look 3D. I really don't want to rain on your parade, as I think it would be super awesome to have 3D renders and be able to view the different angles, but I do want people to understand the mechanics. :oops::oops:

Inno developers have said many times in live chats that the artwork workload is too enormous to provide additional views of the buildings. I have seen very few (if any) live chat sessions where there has not been a comment/question asking that we be able to rotate buildings, and the devs always respond the same way. They would have to put their artists to work designing 3 more versions of every level of every building on the roster (new and old) in order to see those extra 3 sides. It is just not feasible. Rotating the entire city would present the same problem.

DeletedUser

Very true. Fully-rendered 3D buildings and cities would perhaps push the processing power of many a player!

My computer does great with Star Wars: The Old Republic, but can't handle God Of War. That's actually a good thing, because GOW 4 would just suck all my time away. :D

DeletedUser23255

It might (depending on how it’s done) only need to render one side at a time (whichever side is rotated), but I wouldn’t be surprised if it increased the load on the users computers anyway.

The idea of a rotating view would be awesome in theory. A game I used to play called Stronghold did just that along with if you pressed the space bar it’d cut off the tops so you only see the bottom centimetre (both buildings and trees). Made city planning much easier

However the city rotation I barely used except in the first 5 mins of a match to get the view I wanted. Beyond those 5 mins it was more confusion when looking around the map and accidentally rotating it then actual help. The cutting off the tops however was amazing. Used it constantly and it made things much easier when trying to place objects (or see enemy troops). Everyone I played with used the feature in more or less the same way.

If Elvenar had a rotate option I don’t think it’d be used often except when a building is first placed. It’d be cool to see the other sides sure, but I don’t think we’re really missing out on anything

Very true. Fully-rendered 3D buildings and cities would perhaps push the processing power of many a player!
Already does on one of my devices. Pops up with something about needing 3D acceleration?

Last edited by a moderator: