• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Ruminations on the Nature of Public Conversations.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I don't feel like it's right to try to tell someone who disagrees with us to stop talking. We have the choice to block other people. Telling them to not talk about a point any more, because we don't like what they are saying, is not a reasonable position. This opinion, of course, gets me in trouble with other people frequently.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
I agree. Other people have as much right to their opinions and the right to state/defend their position as I do. I think the reason it doesn't get me in trouble often is my tendency to disengage (or not engage in the first place) when I see signs of intractability (is that a word?) in the other person's presentation of their position. I get as much (?maybe more) satisfaction out of thinking 'bless their hearts(yes, I'm Southern); if they had a couple more neurons firing they might be able to grow/learn something' and keeping it to myself. This applies to my life in the real and cyber worlds. I was told years ago that my 'Really? that's what you think, huh? Interesting.' comes off as really annoying when I won't engage further. My response: 'Oh...good! 'Cause I don't break that one out unless I find the person to whom I am speaking very close minded and annoying anyway.'