• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Scavenger Hunt Concepts

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
We sort of have that already:
  1. 90% of the effort is about FINDING a qualifying city. And it's NOT a blind search; the most productive approach would be to search the cities that you've long since discovered in your local neighborhood, with a focus on the likely cities on the related boost diagonal. You'd enter the found city name to LINK the event chest, THEN ...
  2. 10% of the effort is about clicking on the centered building (simple and fast to avoid a boring clickfest) and, while you're there anyway, poking around a bit for some good ideas and an intuition about where to look for subsequent target buildings.
Folks put a tremendous amount of effort into laying out a pretty, functional city, and it seems a pity that only the owner ever sees it.

The fastest way to find the city with the chest/object in it would be to wait for somebody to post it in the forum. And that is the an important point ... driving traffic to the forum.

I'm not sure most players have "discovered in [their] neighborhood" where the "likely cities" might be. I certainly don't pay much attention to the cities I visit via that morning ritual. For me it, click on handshake, click on far right choice, click on done (I don't even remember what the third click, clicks on, to finish). It's a boring click fest and thus I rush through it without noting who is on it. Ditto with trading for the most part.

Now if the "qualifying city" is determined by some formula the the formula would be how you generated the list of cities to visit and then, you are right, you'd have to load them, then search them. To me that would take too much time unless the prize was truly fantastic.

In addition, as one who was "Where's Waldo" challenged, to say the least, I have a hard enough time finding things in my own city. It is unlikely I'd feel compelled to do a "Where's Waldo" in a city I didn't build, especially if I didn't know for what, exactly, I was looking. Again, unless the prizes "fantastic!" I'd probably skip it.

Finally, it occurs to me that we may be talking about to different things. I look at this as an uncomplicated community search with rewards for the first few who discover the location of the prize and post it. I think you see it as a more complicated individual effort. Either way, it could be fun...at least for some.

AJ

Katwick

Cartographer
I have a hard enough time finding things in my own city. It is unlikely I'd feel compelled to do a "Where's Waldo" in a city I didn't build, especially if I didn't know for what, exactly, I was looking.
I'd expect a city-sized graphic of the building to be displayed, along side the nine chests. Two graphics if the Human and Elven buildings are different.

I'd prefer a truly random selection process, taken from the full database of buildings that are actually on the ground. If the 59th Target Building were a Level 5 Residence, that would be fine with me.

It occurs to me that blank chests could have a dynamic link that landed you on your Neighborhood Map, but on your NEAREST city of the proper, type whereupon you'd search the type diagonal to the upper left and lower right, the go up or down three cities for the next diagonal of the desired type.

As you have noted, owning the desired building will be the optimum way to discover the first few cities in a stage.

In a few minutes I'll kick off a "contest" thread; let's see how it goes. If it's popular I'm sure the mods can come up with a few Diamond or Building Tokens, and a popular forum game would definitely help justify assigning the Resources that would be needed to develop an in-game event.

Last edited:

Katwick

Cartographer
I've changed my mind regarding Me! Me! Me! and Event Chat, and I'll edit my earlier posts accordingly.

Me! Me! Me! (grabbing your own city) should be encouraged:
  • The Owner will be a more effective advocate for their layout choices
  • Tossing a Bone to your buddy would be cumbersome at best. It would just slow things down, without encouraging the examination of other cities
As there's no need to advertise your own city, our existing Chat tools should be adequate. Specifically, we can already set up a group chat channel, and being added to the group could well be one of the rewards for linking an Event Target city. 60*9=540 potential poster, so we'll need to check into the limits. A separate channel for each stage would cut the size down to a max of 54 potential posters.

Katwick

Cartographer
Wait, what? Where and how can we already set up chat channels? Do you mean the in-game mail system?
Yep. We can already add arbitrary players to a Fellowship inclusive chat group which, for example, would allow an outsider to be added to a Net0 chat group that was mostly members of the same Fellowship.

Some of us have discovered hundreds of neighbors, so any of my neighbors would be able to fully interact with at least one member of the chat group.

During Scavenger Hunts, I'd sweep my routine diagonals (every city on an upper-left to lower-right diagonal has the same boosts) and
  1. Look at my neighbor's AWs if an AW is a Target Building or if I'm including them in a Net0 or shout-out group
  2. Look at my neighbor's cities to see what else they have
  3. Finally I'd click on their Hands for my daily buff. The timer change helps you keep on track
We should probably do some experiments to see how hard we can push group chat.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
We can already add arbitrary players to a Fellowship inclusive chat group which, for example, would allow an outsider to be added to a Net0 chat group that was mostly members of the same Fellowship.
Yeah... I wouldn't call the in-game mail system "chat". For a moment I was excited to think they had actually updated the chat system beyond its current mid-late '90s state on Beta or something. :p

Katwick

Cartographer
Yeah... I wouldn't call the in-game mail system "chat". For a moment I was excited to think they had actually updated the chat system beyond its current mid-late '90s state on Beta or something. :p
I rue my time on Worlds of Warcraft. The Global Chat was a worthless cesspool.

Katwick

Cartographer
I'd feel bad for anyone that had to hunt through my city to find something. I still can't find my own builder's hut half the time.
It's easier to find a building if you use the move view and, strangely enough, suppress the buildings.

But yeah, it's too hard to find Needles in Haystacks.

Later today I'll convert the 'Contest' thread to focus on:
Hey!
I have one of those!
Come take a look!​

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I rue my time on Worlds of Warcraft. The Global Chat was a worthless cesspool.
Interesting, when was that? I long for the days of WoTLK (including its global chat) maybe you were on a bad server? I also greatly enjoyed chatting in PoE and Runescape.

At the very least custom chat channels would aid in your event concept.
Coordinating through what is essentially the original Hotmail sounds cumbersome to me.

Katwick

Cartographer
Interesting, when was that? I long for the days of WoTLK (including its global chat)
Screenshot_20230109_092840_Chrome.jpg
I do miss flying around on my Blue Dragon, but I don't miss the battles that were as much about dodging as about fighting. This was 15 years ago, and the 3D rendering demanded a high-end gaming box.

I've yet to understand the fuss about the Metaverse. Practically any Real Estate site has 3D walkthroughs.

I was the Procurement Officer for our Guild and we routinely upgraded everybody's armor. Hundreds of items per month through the Auction House, with profits both coming and going. The Elvenar Trade widget is at least 20 years out of date. I'm simply amused by the Elvenar fuss about cross-tier trades. Getting better Tank Armor was actually an interesting challenge. I'd much rather have an Auction House than our Summons tab that's pretty much a junk yard.

The problem with Global Chat was that it was pointless, literally. You could be in the middle of an interesting, coordinated effort, and a couple of Rubes would suddenly jump in with a cat-fight about the color of bricks or something.

Them were the days. I bought a whole Halo getup, that I ending up giving to the neighbor kids when I finally realised that I simply don't like twitch games. There's hardly anything in Elvenar where a five minute delay matters at all.

Last edited: