• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Scouting strategies

NightshadeCS

I think it means to scout all the provinces you will need to have for the treasure chest in the beginning of the next chapter BEFORE you start completing (fighting) those provinces. Probably because unscouted provinces increase in difficulty when you complete provinces, at least, I think that is the logic being used. I am hoping someone with more specialized knowledge comes along and confirms or denies this, since I am not 100% sure if that is accurate. I don't pay attention enough, personally. :)

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Either I'm missing something, or the information is off. The enmies and negotiation costs are set by the cost of the province, which is not controlled by the techs you take until you take advanced scouting.

I can see scouting but delaying fighting the provinces until you have all the SS techs in the chapter, but I can not see any gain from hurrying to scout them before you take the SS techs. It will not effect the cost of the province or its difficulty

Iamaita

Thanks, Ashrem. This information seems pretty important.
If I understand correctly, researching a squad size upgrade will alter tournament encounters but will not impact regular province encounters. So if I have larger squads in a tournament, the enemy does, too. But the number of enemies in a regular province encounter is fixed with scout cost, and hitting them with a larger squad size will only make them easier.
If you research a squad size upgrade during a tournament does it immediately impact the tournament encounters, or is it based on squad size at the start of the tournament?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
So if I have larger squads in a tournament, the enemy does, too. But the number of enemies in a regular province encounter is fixed with scout cost, and hitting them with a larger squad size will only make them easier.
Correct

If you research a squad size upgrade during a tournament does it immediately impact the tournament encounters, or is it based on squad size at the start of the tournament?
I do not know that.

Iamaita

Well I can experiment. I just completed a squad size upgrade and haven’t activated it yet. I will wait until closer to the end of the tournament though. :)

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Have they removed all SS techs, or only the optional ones?

I would have to look for that, but it has been tested and found the new system works the same as the Spire, in that once it starts nothing you do during the tournament changes the squad sizes til the next one starts.

Iamaita

New question...

If each province you scout is slightly harder than the previous province scouted, does it make since to scout a certain type of province first? I am not familiar enough with the types of troops commonly found in each type of province, but if some provinces are more likely to have mixed forces or harder combinations, would there be an advantage to scouting those first? My strategy at this point has been to go after my boosted goods first to get the relics, but if you wanted to adopt a strategy that minimizes difficulty would this work? Is there a guide somewhere that shows which province types have which troop combinations?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
There are multiple variables and dependencies, so I think the benefits of that strategy would be very hard to quantify. Skill with taking advantage of terrain and combat traits for one unit or another, and whether you have human or elven units, would all over-ride it, as would the availability of particular trade goods in your neighborhood and fellowship. if you have excess of one or two goods, or produce a little more coin or supplies than another person, the ability to negotiate even one encounter per province likely would wipe out any variation in scouting cost.

I generally did every other province in a ring in order to maximize the number of neighbours I could reach to help while keeping things in sequential order for simplicity of tracking where to go next. That is less important now that we have the list of available and scouted-but-not-cleared provinces, which is relatively new.