• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Set Buildings

DeletedUser5800

upload_2017-11-30_7-26-51.png

Ice Mountain Troll (Grand Prize 2) Frozen Fountain, Frozen Orc Vortex, Giant's Hand (Dailies)

Set buildings are buildings which link together for a greater benefit. With set buildings, only one building in the set needs a road connection; the rest only need to touch any of the rest of the set.

Some Set Buildings are offered as daily prizes throughout the event, and one of them is the 2nd Grand Prize.
Set buildings have a base payout, and 3 bonus level payouts, each paying in addition to the previous.
To get the maximum bonus, ensure each set building is touching at least 3 other buildings.
♦ If only one building is in the set, only the base payout is received.

♦ If the building touches one other set building, the 1st link bonus is activated, and is paid in addition to the base amount.

♦ If the building is touching two other set buildings, the 2nd link bonus is activated, and is paid in addition to the base and the 1st bonus.

♦ If the building is touching three other set buildings, the 3rd link bonus is activated, and is paid in addition to the base, 1st, and 2nd bonuses.

The size of a set is limited only by how many of the four that you can get (especially since you can only get one 'Ice Mountain Troll'), the space you have, and how many you can get touching the other ones OF A DIFFERENT TYPE for the most benefit.
Example:
upload_2017-11-30_7-25-27.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2207

Frozen Fountain looks like the best use of space for me, whether it gets a bonus or not. I was wondering what would happen if my "set" was just Frozen Fountains and an Ice Mountain Troll

DeletedUser5800

I was wondering what would happen if my "set" was just Frozen Fountains and an Ice Mountain Troll
Only buildings of a dif. name count so if you surrounded a Mountain Troll with Frozen Fountains they would all only get the first link bonus. Assuming the info. in the Beta Forum is correct, they don't change anything and so forth.
You could fit 10 around the Troll which with them all getting the first link bonus would give you an 11th Fountains worth of mana free for surrounding the Troll instead of putting them in a line... either way is good mana per square/per hr. (but a sacrifice of culture) I'm transitioning to the Dragon Abbey/Spell method or I might be excited about this.

What I find most interesting is the need for only one road connection and I'm curious if that works no matter how many buildings of any type get put in a 'set'... i.e if a line of Frozen Fountains would still only need one road connection as opposed to having to run a road the full length like other mana buildings? I haven't seen the answer to that yet but in theory it should work that way.

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
The way I read it is you could only have the set of the 4 different buildings (one of each) and to get the max bonus they each would have to touch all the others, "♦ If the building is touching three other set buildings, the 3rd link bonus is activated, and is paid in addition to the base, 1st, and 2nd bonuses.". I only see it saying up to a 3rd link bonus and I would imagine that is the max. Even that is a wicked bonus, if you can get the 2nd grand prize and be lucky enough to get all 3 of the other buildings from the daily prizes. that's the catch, how much will you spend if you run out of keys to get one of them three buildings so you have the full set... :eek:

DeletedUser9601

Key question in all of this. Do we expect a "double tokens" day? So are we stuck trading off:
1. rolling on daily prize buildings that boost set bonuses, or
2. waiting for double tokens day?

DeletedUser5800

I only see it saying up to a 3rd link bonus and I would imagine that is the max.
Per building, no where does it say there is a building limit, only a limit to how powerful each can be, it wouldn't even make sense to limit the amount of buildings. If you notice in the The Trick spoiler pic. I have in the original post I put which building is getting which bonus based on touching the others... It's my understanding that's how sets work in FoE (though I don't play it)... and someone posted a similar example with multiples in Beta to which the QA Mod said it was correct and not you can only have 4. ;)
https://beta.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/set-buildings.9692/page-2 Last post

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
set2.png

This is what I'd like to get. Takes up 15% less space than 3 grape farms + 2 orc nests.
Gives almost same orcs, culture, mana.
All production from the Tier 1 buildings and main building are a bonus.

Surprisingly the Giant's hand actually seems really efficient at making tier 1 goods.
About 40% more efficient than a Level 23 Tier 1 (using level 27 residences), and that doesn't include supplies or culture.

Last edited:

DeletedUser5800

I'm almost hoping for a 2-week beta to live gap (versus the usual 1 week) just so someone on beta can save up a bunch of buildings and test things out. Because I haven't seen much certainty around the rules
(one of each)
Support just confirmed that 'as it stands now you can have multiples, but if building x is touching two building y's the programming will only count one' so my post is correct. No set limit, only individual building power limit.

This is what I'd like to get.
I haven't thought about what I want, or if... what you have there looks good. I'm building a 4th Armory now and transitioning to Dragon Abbey for mana, have 6 tier 1's so can't get very excited about any of it. I was thinking about ignoring it and going all in on cult/pop. I haven't compared anything yet but I'm leaning toward Frozen Shipwrecks and Fishing Spots maybe... with a couple of Ice Cube Sleighs... I can't decide yet. Maybe all Sleighs, Winter Stars were awesome for a while but selling them made a hell of a pop. hole to dig out of. Decisions, decisions. :confused:

Edit: Of course if they have double days, I'll just do whatever that is and go for the 3rd grand!

SoggyShorts

I'm building a 4th Armory now and transitioning to Dragon Abbey for mana,
This is the biggest drawback for me-- not knowing the mana required for chapter 12. I got my Dragon Abbey up to level 6, meaning I have just under 4m mana in the bank with the spells I have cooked now, and with a month or 2 more of cooking spells I'll be well over 4m.
Halflings 4.25m
S&D 2.8m
I only have 3 or 4 tier 1 buildings, but with 5m T1 banked I'm pretty well set there too.
300K orcs in the bank too
Perhaps with the setup above making 25K mana and 5K T1 per day it could cover all of my T1, orc, and mana needs giving me loads of room for guest race stuff.

DeletedUser12068

As someone moving from Dwarves to Fairies soon, this looks like a lot of space to tie up for an extra KP every day. Because the +Orcs and +Mana doesn't apply, my instinct is that lower-chapter players shouldn't really go nuts for complicated set-bonus arrangements. Is that wrong?

DeletedUser5800

Is that wrong?
Depends... It's still a healthy amount of supplies not requiring cult/pop and adding cult... so it could be cool for a couple of chapters and sold. The only problem I foresee with all the supply buildings in general is if you don't replace them with better of the same at some future point you will end up having to build WS/Res. to replace them... but they keep offering them so it shouldn't be to hard to replace later. Of course when you get ready to transition into mana/cult you may take a big supply hit if you build these types heavily. The same problem I had with population when selling off pop./cult hybrids for mana/cult except harder to fix because you need workshops and Res. as opposed to just Res.

SoggyShorts

As someone moving from Dwarves to Fairies soon, this looks like a lot of space to tie up for an extra KP every day. Because the +Orcs and +Mana doesn't apply, my instinct is that lower-chapter players shouldn't really go nuts for complicated set-bonus arrangements. Is that wrong?
Sounds right to me. Inno doesn't seem to have the balance right yet for the supplies instead of mana/orcs buildings imo.

Edit: Also what Lord drac said

DeletedUser9601

I think the benefit of the set buildings, if done right, is that you can get a lot of resources (coins, supplies, goods) without a street connection. So if your city layout lets you manage it, you could have one street connection to the main building, then have 20+ squares that are producing stuff beyond culture.

I personally wouldn't do it. When I was in Fairies (because its a fairly easy and not too gold/supplies intensive), I spent a lot of my time getting my workshops and other buildings up to max level, and clearing out lots of old culture buildings for the very efficient Ponds of Recreation.

Orcs (which you will be soon) needs a ton of supplies, so if you go down this path, the extra supplies will be useful at the beginning of the chapter when you're building dozens of farms. But Orc buildings take up a lot more space than Fairies/Dwarves. And this Ice Town set is going to take up a lot of space (and isn't easily re-organized, due to the touching requirement). It might be impossible to have both.

So depending on your city, you're right. You might be spending a lot of time/resources building up your Ice Town, only to delete (or severely weaken) in a few weeks when you're out of Fairies.

DeletedUser5800

Giant's Hand Day 6... that seems early... was hoping for longer to decide what I'm doing... :eek:
I suppose if Beta has had no double days by Day 6 on live it isn't happening though... Wasn't it once a week last time?

Edit: Day 11,18, 24 in Eldrasil so should be day 13 on Beta by Day 6 on live... should know by then.

DeletedUser5800

They just sent out an email that is confusing more people than it's helping. Makes it sound like you have to connect it with the Vortex which is not true... does nothing to help people understand they can have more than 4 buildings... very unhelpful and causing a commotion in other groups already... but it does have the dates of each building... kind of. ;)
Elvarian greetings, Lord Draconian!

The Winter Event and a new challenge await you until January 8. You can put together a whole set from the matching buildings, and we’ll explain how it works and where you can find the set parts.

Where are the set parts?

The frozen Orc Vortex

The cornerstone of your set is the Orc Vortex. Connect this Winter set building with streets to produce Orcs and for it to serve as an connecting element for the set buildings. Any other set building can be used as a connecting element as well - watch out for it in early January!

The Ice Hand

Perhaps it’s for the best that the only part of this giant that we can see is its hand. In any case, the remains will deliver both cute little Polar Bears and Culture to your city. Have Frozen Keys ready to win the building as a Daily Exclusive on Saturday, December 9.

The Ice Mountain Troll

The hibernating Glacier Giant is the second main prize of the event and can be unlocked with Ice Crowns. Not only are the building’s dimensions gigantic, it also provides a massive Culture boost!

The Winter Fountain

The Winter Fountain is the smallest of the set buildings with an area space of 2x3 squares. It produces valuable Mana for your city. Keep your eyes open on December 22 to win the Winter Fountain as a Daily Exclusive!

One bonus, two bonuses, three bonuses ...

Placing the set buildings next to each other unlocks additional bonuses. Get the most out of the set by having all four parts and placing them next to each other correctly.

Perfect city planning

You can get started once you have the Orc Vortex. The complete set fits on an area of 7x7 squares and will deliver the maximum production amount and all the bonuses. However, only the Orc Vortex needs to be connected by a street.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
sent out an email that is confusing more people than it's helping.
That is such a confusing email! I thought I had the sets figured out until I read that. I just activated advanced scouts for Orcs. I'd decided to save my keys for the set buildings, and for ME the Orc Vortex is what I'm most interested in. I don't see it as a 'cornerstone' of the set, just the building that provides the most benefit for me at the beginning of Orcs. I'd like to get 2+ of it and 2+ of the fountain(to help with bonuses on the vortexes). I'm sure I'll get the troll and hoping for one of the hands. I planned to get the street connection to whatever building fits best in my layout, not necessarily the vortex. After reading the email several times, I still think I can do it this way, but I'm not as certain as before they sent it...

DeletedUser5800

but I'm not as certain as before they sent it...
Well we know from the 100 keys thread that the email department is separate from the game team and we can further deduce their native language is German so my best guess is they were typing in a second language about something they don't even quite understand. They even mis-labeled the Giant's Hand as icy Hand. All the info. I originally posted has since been added in depth on Gems of Knowledge. The email should have just never happened. By all other accounts you can attach a road to any part of a set (and even says that in the email right under where it makes it sound otherwise and well before it makes it sound otherwise again at the bottom), a set can be as many of the 4 buildings as you can get (each building limited to 3 links activated by touching 1 each of the other 3 buildings). You can arrange them any way you want but the goal is to get as many touching the others of dif. types as possible.

It seemed like people were starting to get a pretty good handle on it until the email... since then I've seen everything from 'None of the buildings work without the orc vortex' to 'You have to have the full set to participate in the next guest race' Which is obviously not true to people that already knew but to all the people that never look here or at Gems it's a tornado of fake news. :eek: