• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Shortcut keys for Army Setup in Tournaments (Browser version)

Shortcut keys for Army Setup in Tournaments (Browser version)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yogi Dave

@Ashrem Sometimes I am too quick in a reply. In tournaments, [1][click cater] [2][click cater] [3][click cater] [4][click cater] works. In word provinces where you click negotiate, sadly, the Awesome dialog stands in the way after each encounter. :(

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
@Ashrem Sometimes I am too quick in a reply. In tournaments, [1][click cater] [2][click cater] [3][click cater] [4][click cater] works. In word provinces where you click negotiate, sadly, the Awesome dialog stands in the way after each encounter. :(
Amost. Except the recently introduced "pause" after each cater means that you have to hesitate for a brief instant after each cater while you wait for the screen to return to an active state, or the keypress is lost and must be repeated. Once upon a time, there was no such delay (and 8 encounters per tournament province) so the ability to touch keys and mouse as fast as you like was a significant speed increase (and boredom reducer)

DeletedUser24059

Are these thread answered by a Inno Manager to say to us will they implement these shortcuts in near future

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Are these thread answered by a Inno Manager to say to us will they implement these shortcuts in near future
Not right away. if the idea looks like it has support, the OP can request a poll attached and if the poll gets enough support the idea will get forwarded. The team may or may not let the forum mods know if they've decided to implement, but they never say when.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
Not right away. if the idea looks like it has support, the OP can request a poll attached and if the poll gets enough support the idea will get forwarded. The team may or may not let the forum mods know if they've decided to implement, but they never say when.

If it is forwarded it will be again evaluated and then ranked based on
  • how much do we want this
  • how possible is it to do
Then it goed onto a giant stack with ideas. for the developers to refenrence at.

Then when they have spare time (go figure spare time at a game company? but hey who knows) they start looking at the list of ideas ranked from top to bottom untill they find a few ideas they like to work on, then those are proposed, and evaluated.

If it survives all this onslought it might be developed and if it doesnt encounter any problems there it might come to live.
Lets just say there is a chance, but it's very slim.
That said, a good amount of proposed idea's have been implementen in one way or another, some very quickly, and some took years.

Something that can easy and quickly introduced has a higher probability of success than an idea that needs a lot of work.
I had an idea/fixc once and it was so easy and quick that our community manager had it approved and fixed in a single day so it is possible especially if it has no effect on the game itself helps a lot and it's like a 5 min fix.

Also when they start to develop something this pile can also be a good reference material to what the community thinks about it when there are similar ideas in this stack.

Yogi Dave

If you look at older pages in this section you will see 4 that have been forwarded, and one marked as planned. The one planned (by @Ashrem) is very simple, or so it would seem to be. I'd have thought would have been implemented by now, Here's a quote from then.
You will be very happy to know @Ashrem that the developers have looked into this and have added it to their list of things to do

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
is very simple, or so it would seem to be. I'd have thought would have been implemented by now
I expressed at the time that I thought one hiccough might be that for all buildings where they are present, info about the building is the left-most tab and upgrades are the right-most. While superficially simple, it might involve some code needing adjustment unrelated to the obvious.

Yogi Dave

While superficially simple, it might involve some code needing adjustment unrelated to the obvious.
The behind the curtain thingy. Opening to the 2nd tab would also solve the problem. That's how the FS dialog works. But being a programmer, I know how things that can be expressed easily are often difficult and things that are difficult to express can often be done easily.

Yogi Dave

Back to the topic at hand:
hmm I see this more as an RSI negator, able to use mouse and some hotkeys combined.
I dont think it will reduce time in any form or shape. unless you are one of those e-sport 15 year old kid.

Or and I think this is the most important one, if you use one of those macro keyboards.
I see. I must have glossed over the "significantly reduce time" bit. It does seem optimistic to me
The more I think about it giving a speedup, I agree. It would be minimal, if any. There have been other ideas that deal with the time issues, so will leave it with them to address. I'll be updating the initial since it's really the RSI that is being addressed here. However, I'll add under considerations a comment about a possible impact by using a macro keyboard. I tend to prefer Considerations to Cons in most cases. It's up to the devs to say if it's detrimental to the game.

Risen Malchiah

For this week's steel tournament, I'm most of the way through 6 rounds of 50 provinces in two of my cities and 6x45 in another. I kept thinking of this idea because my wrist absolutely hurts after all this clicking. I tried using 1-4 in each province, but found that wasn't too useful as my mouse was already hovering in the general area. The army setup hotkeys in this proposal would allow me to shift thousands of clicks to my other hand over the course of a week. (Almost every encounter this week had me jumping back and forth between barracks & merc camp troops.)

14 likes for the original post and some good discussion. Maybe time to request a poll, @Yogi Dave :)

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I actually do worry about RSI. I've had carpel tunnel corrected twice and spend a lot of time on my keyboard. I avoid doing more than 12-14 provinces 4-5 times because I just don't want to have surgery again. This week I decided to go "all out" though, and 55 provinces 6 times is a royal pain...and my wrist is aching. So game play is being effective negatively and, probably for those going deep in the tournaments consistently, dangerously. I do believe Inno would be wise to send out a regular "why use the keyboard" note with the shortcuts to cut down on the the dangers inherent in gaming with a mouse pretty much exclusively. These shortcuts would also give them some "cover" should somebody try a (probably) "frivolous" lawsuit claiming their game(s) contribute to RSI. In any case, the programming, in my opinion, would not be that difficult as most games have filters to negate non-active keys in every screen. A few lines of code to capture a keystroke and convert it to a mouse click is pretty easy since the coordinates of the mouse click stay the same (the screens are always in the same place so you don't have to figure out where the button needing clicked upon is located each time).

Great idea.

AJ

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
I actually do worry about RSI. I've had carpel tunnel corrected twice and spend a lot of time on my keyboard. I avoid doing more than 12-14 provinces 4-5 times because I just don't want to have surgery again. This week I decided to go "all out" though, and 55 provinces 6 times is a royal pain...and my wrist is aching. So game play is being effective negatively and, probably for those going deep in the tournaments consistently, dangerously. I do believe Inno would be wise to send out a regular "why use the keyboard" note with the shortcuts to cut down on the the dangers inherent in gaming with a mouse pretty much exclusively. These shortcuts would also give them some "cover" should somebody try a (probably) "frivolous" lawsuit claiming their game(s) contribute to RSI. In any case, the programming, in my opinion, would not be that difficult as most games have filters to negate non-active keys in every screen. A few lines of code to capture a keystroke and convert it to a mouse click is pretty easy since the coordinates of the mouse click stay the same (the screens are always in the same place so you don't have to figure out where the button needing clicked upon is located each time).

Great idea.

AJ

I think for you using the app would be a much better solution,
On my main I can't use it because of 0 waiting times and funky issues on the app, but for other city's I opten switch to the app to avoid these kinds of issues.

Use a phone and not a tablet, so all in range withing your thumbs.

ajqtrz

@CrazyWizard "My eyes, my eyes!" LOL. I don't use the phone exactly because my eyes are a lot older than the rest of me. AND my thumbs are not all that much better. In any case, whatever you use, repetitive motions are dangerous. Therefore it's best to play anything you play with as wide a range of motions as possible, especially if you play it a lot. Keyboards use all ten fingers, pretty much evenly and thus can spread the force out across a bunch more muscles.

AJ

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
@CrazyWizard "My eyes, my eyes!" LOL. I don't use the phone exactly because my eyes are a lot older than the rest of me. AND my thumbs are not all that much better. In any case, whatever you use, repetitive motions are dangerous. Therefore it's best to play anything you play with as wide a range of motions as possible, especially if you play it a lot. Keyboards use all ten fingers, pretty much evenly and thus can spread the force out across a bunch more muscles.

AJ
Keyboards force your hands in a less natural position (twisted)

The eye problem I can't fix, but the app has a lot less motion with your hand in a more natural position and with little movement which helps a lot agains carpal syndrome. This is why there is a whole plethora of weird very expensive keyboards trying to create better less pronounced and natural position.
Mobile also has the ease for moving to the next province on it's own.

I love mobile since it removes all the clicks from that 1 "clickfinger"

ajqtrz

Keyboards force your hands in a less natural position (twisted)

The eye problem I can't fix, but the app has a lot less motion with your hand in a more natural position and with little movement which helps a lot agains carpal syndrome. This is why there is a whole plethora of weird very expensive keyboards trying to create better less pronounced and natural position.
Mobile also has the ease for moving to the next province on it's own.

I love mobile since it removes all the clicks from that 1 "clickfinger"

and makes out of them 2 clickthumbs? LOL.

I use an ergonomic keyboard and thus my hands are not twisted. But you are right, there can be a bit of a twist at the wrist so if you type a LOT (as I do) you can do some damage there. The point is though, it's probably better to spread the "damage" out along 10 fingers than just 2 thumbs, don't you think?

AJ

Yogi Dave

14 likes for the original post and some good discussion. Maybe time to request a poll, @Yogi Dave :)
There hadn't been any activity in this thread for a while and I'd decided while at work it was time to ask for a poll. Imagine my surprise to find several new post.

@Xelenia , I think it's time for a poll. @Nightguest I'm putting your name here too since it Xelenia hasn't been commenting in the forum much lately. Real life can get very busy in these times.

Risen Malchiah

@CrazyWizard "My eyes, my eyes!" LOL. I don't use the phone exactly because my eyes are a lot older than the rest of me. AND my thumbs are not all that much better. In any case, whatever you use, repetitive motions are dangerous.
The eye problem I can't fix, but the app has a lot less motion with your hand in a more natural position and with little movement which helps a lot agains carpal syndrome.
Yeah, I also have a problem with everything on mobile just being too small. With that said, mobile has its advantages, namely the fact that I can switch thumbs/fingers when one gets tired. The main gripe I have with fighting on mobile is the size and placement of the tiny arrows for switching building types in the army setup. There is plenty of space to the left and right. Those arrows do not need to be that small.

But when I'm not on the go, I absolutely prefer fighting in the browser, especially for the Spire where losses can be more costly. I just need some way to take the stress off my mousehand.

Arkadia

great idea!
would loooooove these! <3

also....
i'd love to be able to shuffle the troops after they are selected
esp when i want to use a mix of barrack n merc camp units, and i have to click around to place them in a certain order....grrrr hate that lol