• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Show Badge Count for whole FS in FA

Show Badge Count for whole FS in FA

• In Favor

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Not in Favor

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Fairy

Scroll-Keeper, Buddy Fan Club Member
Summary: During the FA we can currently see our own badge count, but I think it would be very helpful if we could see the total badge count for the whole fellowship.

Details:

The purpose of this suggestion is to help coordinating which badges we should make. Currently some fellowships use spreadsheets for this, but I think this could be avoided if we could see how many badges the whole fellowship has in inventory.

This list currently shows how many badges I have:

FA_adventure_items_tooltip.png

I suggest adding numbers showing how many badges the whole fellowship has in total.

This may cause too much data traffic if updated all the time, but it would still be very helpful even if only updated e.g. once an hour. In this case it would be nice if we could see when it will be updated next or how many minutes till it updates next.

Note that this will not show who has the badges, and those who have the badges still need to login and donate the badges when they are needed.

Benefits / Pros:
  • Being able to see how many badges we have in total in the fellowship would eliminate or at least drastically reduce the need for the tedious spreadsheets used in some fellowships to coordinate badges. And thereby making the FAs more fun!
  • I think it would be simple to implement

Downsides / Cons:
  • Even if only updated once an hour this may still cause too much data traffic?

Miscellaneous: Credit goes to @AtaguS who suggested it here:
https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index....d-of-individual-badge-pools.27063/post-213347

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I like the basic idea. Yeah, it's a pain to use a spreadsheet, especially when not all your members will enter their data, even if you make it SIMPLE. Sigh.

The coding shouldn't be too hard since it's only a matter of populating a form based upon what is already in the database. And it would make things more fun by reducing the amount of work AND keeping everybody informed about what is available and thus what might need to be done.

Good idea.

AJ

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Con: more server and data drain as the badges are constantly updated for everyone during the FA, causing more lag and more crashes/glitches, depending on the stability of individual servers around the world. What could work smoothly on the US servers and internet, may work like crap in the EU, or vice versa. Suggestions have to take into consideration all 20+ countries that have game servers. Think about this in the Pit and how glitchy that can get now, then think about adding all that extra server traffic in.

Now maybe, if the overall badge count is only updated once an hour, like how the rankings for the new Event League mechanic are, this might not be such a big headache.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
To save on the server and data load, this could be restricted to only visible to the Archmage, or maybe the Mages too. Then they could look at the list and tell the rest of the fellowship what is needed most.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Anything to improve the FA sounds good to me.
To the 2/24 people who voted against, since there is only one downside listed (possible server lag) which seems to have been addressed (hourly updates instead of live ones),
What's your objection?

@helya can future polls be set to show voters, please? It's happened before where players either misunderstood the concept or had an easily addressed objection once they were engaged. I don't believe that double anonymity on an anonymous forum is necessary.

Alram

Flippers just flip
I don't think this will improve the FA. Most fellowships don't do spreadsheets. They just play. They make badges, they put them down, and then they make more as needed.
They aren't going to make them if they think they have enough. It does no good to have 50 arcanes if the people holding them are unavailable to put them down when they are needed.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I don't think this will improve the FA. Most fellowships don't do spreadsheets. They just play. They make badges, they put them down, and then they make more as needed.
They aren't going to make them if they think they have enough. It does no good to have 50 arcanes if the people holding them are unavailable to put them down when they are needed.

I'm wondering how this is known. My conversations with some top ranked fs's are that most of them use some kind of tracking spreadsheet and I don't think eGems would make one and keep it going if nobody was down-loading it. On the other hand, my own "data" is pretty weak to conclude that most, or a lot, of fs's use spreadsheets, so I'm wondering if you have some other kind of evidence.

Thanks,

AJ

Socrates28

Our FS uses spreadsheets and it is coordinated by 2 people who have a heck of a time trying to keep it in any way accurate. Granted that people have to log in and place the badges they have, but if they are not really engaged in the FS and the FA the badges they make will be the easiest ones to make and that on an FS wide basis we would have the most of, i.e. coins and troops. They would certainly not be making the difficult badges just to throw off group totals. I could see how this would benefit our FS and even the individual player, as when the coordinators are not available I would know how to concentrate my productions.

T6583

My FS gave up on the spreedsheets because most people don't use them. We've tried countdown threads for just that harder / longer lead time items and there's members who just won't use the threads. Some of those members are our biggest producers and it makes it hard to figure out what we still need. I'd love a feature that gave an overall idea of the total number of FS badges an FS has during the FA's.