• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Show which chapter fellowship members are in on fellowship tab

elvenbee

It is also a 3rd party player-owned site and not official Innogames property, and probably based in the US, or would likely violate the GDPR and get shut down if it were in the EU. We have been told on the forums many times that some things we want in the game would violate the GDPR for privacy reasons, the main one being the ability to see how active all players are, their last time logged in, etc. But as has been said, just seeing a player's current chapter already exists in-game, so putting that in a more convenient place would be fine.
Good point, I definitely forget this is a German based game/company! Yeah.. I think seeing the last time they logged in is a biiiit much for me because I have a tendency to leave tabs open on my browser (whoops...) and it shows me as active that entire time lol

Smooper

You can also tell what chapter someone is in on the public World Map of each server by looking at the city/town icon displayed behind the player's name. It is publicly displayed and not private for any account. :)
+1 for the original poster's idea!
https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=World_Map
Some of these methods of discovering a player's chapter are a bit obscure. I have no idea, personally, what chapter any of those map images represent. Closest I can get is if it looks fancy it must be a higher chapter.

elvenbee

You can also tell what chapter someone is in on the public World Map of each server by looking at the city/town icon displayed behind the player's name. It is publicly displayed and not private for any account. :)
I had no idea that was even a thing!!! That's super cool and explains all the different 'castles'.

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
It is super simple and public information in the game. Go to your world map. The photo of the city is that cities chapter. Each chapter has an image of what the city looks like. So every city with a matching city picture on the world map are all in the same chapter. Very easy.

Mirai

If I understand the OP's intention correctly, there would be no change to the current ranking, as this suggestion involves just adding the Chapter icon to each FS member's data line (showing their avatar, name, points, and the AW and NH buttons).
There is no reason to rank members as to which chapter they are in, since everyone plays at different speeds; some race through chapters, others take it slow, and some just park.
I agree, Flashfyre – for me, having the (it's already anonymous) information easily visible would make it easier for fellowship members to help one another: "congrats on your new chapter, one of the places you can get tips and tricks and info is from our members who are also there or have done it already" - it adds to celebrating one another that we do in my tiny corner of the world maps

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It is also a 3rd party player-owned site and not official Innogames property, and probably based in the US, or would likely violate the GDPR and get shut down if it were in the EU. We have been told on the forums many times that some things we want in the game would violate the GDPR for privacy reasons, the main one being the ability to see how active all players are, their last time logged in, etc. But as has been said, just seeing a player's current chapter already exists in-game, so putting that in a more convenient place would be fine.
While I'm often the one complaining about privacy, giving info about myself to other people at random, legally providing it to your fellowship is as simple as a note in the "join fellowship" which says "By joining a fellowship you are agreeing to provide certain info about the status of your city to the rest of the team." Or including same in the original EULA.

A more liekly reason for not doing so is that it doesn't offer Inno any additional chance to make money off players.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Just because a piece of information is available in some arcane corner somewhere, does not mean that making it generally and publicly available is fair game, nor that it makes no impact upon privacy. Plus, elvenstats is delayed historical information. This suggestion involves real-time information. The argument against this being an invasion of privacy appears to be, surprise-surprise, a false equivalency.

I still think this is a worthy bargaining chip though. Give us the Perks, you can have my chapter. Seems like a fair trade.
I like this answer. I like it because it does, in fact, illustrate the legal parameters of what is public information. It hangs on the phrase "some arcane corner somewhere." Not all information that is available on the Internet is public. To be public it must be easily accessible and/or intended to be public. In other words, just because somebody gets mad and doxes me doesn't mean that information is automatically public, even if it shows up as such. On the other hand, if I make no attempt to keep some information private -- perhaps my phone number -- but make it readily available from my personal web site (visited by only myself but accessible to anyone), the "arcane corner" in which I publish it, is not a legal protection against it being considered public. The "sticking point" here is the question of a 3rd party gathering information and publishing it. Since Inno allows the data mining and considers the information put out by elvenstats to be public (which we must assume since they fall under the German laws which are stricter than American), then we have to consider those playing the game have given their permission to give that data out since it is given out through other means within the game. In other words, it's not the obscurity of elvenstats (in the grand scheme of things they are very obscure to anyone know playing Elvenar), but the fact that they are giving out information the game developers consider public and which anyone playing the game can access.

So can we easily access the chapter a player is in? We can go to their city, look around, and in most cases take an educated guess. And most of the time we would be right. Does that mean our guesses can or should be confirmed and improved by Inno through the mechanism requested here? To be honest I don't know. I suspect it would be okay, but lawyers are tricky and when they get involved you don't even know what the meaning of "is" is.

AJ

Pheryll

Set Designer
Plus, elvenstats is delayed historical information.

It provides a tool for pinging current information of a targeted player. Everyone can see the result of the ping (not any information on who pinged), so a player can reasonably infer (if paying attention to the information) if he is being targeted.

elvenbee

I like this answer. I like it because it does, in fact, illustrate the legal parameters of what is public information. It hangs on the phrase "some arcane corner somewhere." Not all information that is available on the Internet is public. To be public it must be easily accessible and/or intended to be public. In other words, just because somebody gets mad and doxes me doesn't mean that information is automatically public, even if it shows up as such. On the other hand, if I make no attempt to keep some information private -- perhaps my phone number -- but make it readily available from my personal web site (visited by only myself but accessible to anyone), the "arcane corner" in which I publish it, is not a legal protection against it being considered public. The "sticking point" here is the question of a 3rd party gathering information and publishing it. Since Inno allows the data mining and considers the information put out by elvenstats to be public (which we must assume since they fall under the German laws which are stricter than American), then we have to consider those playing the game have given their permission to give that data out since it is given out through other means within the game. In other words, it's not the obscurity of elvenstats (in the grand scheme of things they are very obscure to anyone know playing Elvenar), but the fact that they are giving out information the game developers consider public and which anyone playing the game can access.

So can we easily access the chapter a player is in?
We can go to their city, look around, and in most cases take an educated guess. And most of the time we would be right. Does that mean our guesses can or should be confirmed and improved by Inno through the mechanism requested here? To be honest I don't know. I suspect it would be okay, but lawyers are tricky and when they get involved you don't even know what the meaning of "is" is.

AJ
*text in AJ's message emphasized for reference

As @FaunWillow stated earlier, we CAN easily access what chapter a player is in. This information is already made public by InnoGames themselves through the World Map. The castle for each player tells you what chapter they are in. You can find the information in the wiki.

We don't have to guess. They literally designed the game with the player's chapter as public information. We're just asking to make it more accessible.

ajqtrz

*text in AJ's message emphasized for reference

As @FaunWillow stated earlier, we CAN easily access what chapter a player is in. This information is already made public by InnoGames themselves through the World Map. The castle for each player tells you what chapter they are in. You can find the information in the wiki.

We don't have to guess. They literally designed the game with the player's chapter as public information. We're just asking to make it more accessible.
So all you have to do is memorize the 20 types of castles and be able to recognize them on sight. Okay, yeah, not only is that easy, it's convenient too! LOL!

In any case, you are right, the information is semi-public even if I, for one, have to guess.

AJ

elvenbee

So all you have to do is memorize the 20 types of castles and be able to recognize them on sight. Okay, yeah, not only is that easy, it's convenient too! LOL!

In any case, you are right, the information is semi-public even if I, for one, have to guess.

AJ
Or you could use the reference guide in the link I posted so you don't have to guess or memorize.... but to each their own.

ajqtrz

Or you could use the reference guide in the link I posted so you don't have to guess or memorize.... but to each their own.
I tried to use it but found some of the castles look so much alike that I had to go back and forth several times to figure it out. So for me I'd have to memorize it. And I don't even get the chapter icons straight and have to look them up all the time too.

On the other hand, too bad when you hover over the castle it doesn't pop up with the description like it does in the wiki. That would be a great step forward and they've done the coding already!

AJ

Mykan

Oh Wise One

AJ
It was a lot easier early on. Only 2 of the early chapters looked close to each other, the rest were super easy to tell. As the game has grown that list has become longer. So one way of looking at this is asking to update what has always been freely available information into an easier format to see now. Very common for games as they grow to adjust how something works, elvenar has done this with tournaments twice and other features. Just a request to reassess this part of the game.

Edit: Also worth noting elvenstats can only report publicly visible information, it can't see anything we can't see.

Last edited:

Yavimaya

Scroll-Keeper
Already public info. Go to your world map, everybody's chapters are showing you what chapter they are in. Each chapter has a certain city image on the world map. People with the exact same city image are all in that same chapter.