• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Open Sir Squirrel's Creative Art

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
Could you make an avatar/signature for me, please, @Sir Squirrel? I've been seeing your beautiful artwork around the forum, and I think it's about time I had an avatar. :) I don't really have anything specific in mind...favorite colours are usually some shade of blue, green, or purple.

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
Hey @MaidenFair what about these?

MaidenFairAvatar.jpg

Signature
MaidenFair01.png

Click the link below to get to my help post on hooking up avatars and signatures with pictures to help you.

Last edited:

DeletedUser28527

Sir Squirrel: your creations are gorgeous! What software do you use to create these?

Sir Squirrel

I use an older version of Jasc paint shop pro, just because I am used to what it can do. I bought last years version of Corel paint shop pro, but still use the way older version. lol.

DeletedUser28527

I use an older version of Jasc paint shop pro, just because I am used to what it can do. I bought last years version of Corel paint shop pro, but still use the way older version. lol.
“Way older versions” often have the advantage of being free-standing without subscription (as long as older computer system softwares are maintained). Your work is truly inspiring!

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
“Way older versions” often have the advantage of being free-standing without subscription (as long as older computer system softwares are maintained). Your work is truly inspiring!
I would shower you both with oodles of Likes if I could. Recently, I had one friend ask me to help her shop for a new computer for her teenage son, who wants to be a creator, and another friend who said her daughter wants Adobe Premiere Pro for XMAS. First friend wanted to get him the newest and latest of everything. I was trying to explain to them that a $3000 machine and the latest version of Adobe anything doesn't make your kid be more creative. Did Ansel Adams need the latest DSLR cameras with a jillion megapixels to take amazing photos 50 years ago? The equipment and software are merely external tools. The creativity comes from inside. No amount of expensive fancy equipment can substitute Ansel Adam's eye for where the beauty in a scene lies to point the camera at. A truly creative person can make works of art out of anything! So while her daughter sits and pouts waiting for overpriced software, some other kids are actually out making their own movies already because they've figured out DaVinci Resolve is a pretty bad ass video editing suite for free! Likewise, I learned Photoshop 4 back when a 5gig HD was considered spacious. I recognize the core of Photoshop's essential functionalities can be found in a free software like Photopea. Instead of making unnecessary mental blocks thinking you need x equipment and y software to do anything, those kids should be exercising their creative muscles by actually creating with whatever they can get their hands on instead, like using their time constructively to create pretty avatars and signatures for forum members ;)

Sir Squirrel

Yeah It is not what you have, it is how you use it! I do have a 3000 dollar computer though, but I didn't when I started making signatures and messing around with graphics.
I got the new computer a couple years back when I was messing around with Daz 3d stuff for a bit and renders take forever even with a newer computer. It is the video card that costs though. I have the Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 8GB. which is a couple years old now, but still a great card for gaming and rendering. I do like the heavy graphic games, I played Red Dead Redemption 2 for quite a while and battlefield 4. My reflexes are not what they used to be though. lol.

Last edited:

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Well, when you're working on it or gaming, it's utilizing the graphics card, but when you get to rendering pretty pictures for architecture, movies, etc, it's more about RAM and processing power. You technically don't even need the app open and can render from the command line to save even more kibbles of RAM and CPU cycles. In a professional setting, they would use render farms comprised of many networked computers to harness the power of many computers at once...and that will still take forever, so it's not you! One frame of Finding Nemo took 4 days and that's 1/24 of a second! :D

When I started, I thought I wanted to work on the engineering side of computer graphics, like solving science problems of rendering more realistically or improve medical imaging. After learning the math behind edge detection of window boundaries and bezier curves to write rendering engine algos, I concluded this stuff is magnificently hella boring of the greatest magnitude! Maybe I really don't need to learn to reinvent the wheel. Then I thought perhaps I'll have more fun doing the front end stuff making pretty pictures instead. I learned Maya 3D and motion graphics stuff. Good lord, if it doesn't take infinity and beyond for each stage (modeling, texturing, rigging, lighting, rendering, compositing)! Turns out, I don't have the patience for that either. Also helpful in that decision was a professor telling us he spent a year of his life making CGI snow for the movie Cliffhanger and how much it sucked. You don't get to pick your projects, so when you do, make it worth your while! So hats off to you, my good sir! I could never do what you do. I like reading the review of your happy customers and I am amazed you can keep delivering. If I tried it, people would only come back to say, "This isn't what I asked for..." Exactly. The Shenanigan Elves are more interested in making you regret asking in the first place! Keep up the good work!

Sir Squirrel

Last edited:

nightrider1

I find your creativity to be amazing and your generosity much appreciated. If you would like to take a crack at me when not here i'm an avid biker. David Mann is my old school favorite and David Uhl's current creations would be a starting point
Much regards and thanks
Nightrider