• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

"Solve <n> Tournament Encounters" - thank you!

DeletedUser7738

Dear Elvenar Devs / Inno Pinheads,

Thank you for finally FINALLY adding a tournament encounter as a fulfillment of an "encounter quest" during an event (during anything, really). I hope to see that more often in the future, maybe even become part of the game (?). Long time coming imho.

Sincerely,
Mai

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I'm surprised that they did this. If it becomes the norm, then events are going to be really easy from now on. I'm waiting for the tournament to start, and then I'll finish the whole thing in 10-15m, and that's without diamonds or instants (but a helluva lot of turd buildings)
I wonder if they will increase the # of relics/solve quests going forward. I mean any advanced city should be able to do 20 provinces a couple of times, and that's 80 encounters. A major event lasting 4 weeks could ask for us to solve a few hundred encounters and it wouldn't be much of a burden.
How does that balance with newer cities who have only unlocked a couple of each province type for the tournaments?
Will the quests be scaled by chapter? The old "solve" quests were at least partially scaled due to extreme differences in scout times, but with this change, the fast scout advantage of small cities has been completely negated.

I no longer see any balance between newer and advanced cities in terms of quest difficulty- everything is easier now for advanced players. (with the addition of "or upgrade" the pure "scout" quests are no longer relevant either)

DeletedUser9601

I'm surprised that they did this. If it becomes the norm, then events are going to be really easy from now on.

The one caveat is that they can much more easily "gate" progress with this structure. When it was just encounters, there was an upper limit to how many encounters they could reasonably ask for. Now, you can ask for a lot of tournament encounters (which will require a tournament running), and then sprinkle in other "delay-type" quests. Imagine:
-tourney encounters
-troops
-toolboxes
-groceries
-scout a province
-tourney encounters
If you don't hit that tourney encounters on a Tuesday and/or aren't able to run a few expansions of level 1s, it might be really hard to hit both tourney encounters in the same tournament. Then Inno is able to mandate a 3-4 day break in your progress. They can never reasonably stop the people who have 6-7 expansions set aside for events, but if you're in the thick of a guest race and maaaaybe have 1 expansion plus random dead-space at the end of your streets, it could be a change to the current quest pacing.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
The one caveat is that they can much more easily "gate" progress with this structure.
It's possible, but I think doing so would disproportionately affect the unprepared.
Taking this Halloween as an example, several players have posted about finishing it on the first day. That type of player will manage to get 2 rounds in and use a few timers to get through the scout and maybe even get a third section of quests done during the first tournament.
More casual players could get completely stuck and many might not even finish an event with such gates.
More likely that inno would cater to the lowest denominator and pass out ribbons for just showing up.;)
Not passing shade on inno, they have continually improved events both in quests and rewards, but they seem to be swinging towards "very easy" of late.

DeletedUser19728

It's possible, but I think doing so would disproportionately affect the unprepared.
Taking this Halloween as an example, several players have posted about finishing it on the first day. That type of player will manage to get 2 rounds in and use a few timers to get through the scout and maybe even get a third section of quests done during the first tournament.
More casual players could get completely stuck and many might not even finish an event with such gates.
More likely that inno would cater to the lowest denominator and pass out ribbons for just showing up.;)
Not passing shade on inno, they have continually improved events both in quests and rewards, but they seem to be swinging towards "very easy" of late.
I

DeletedUser19728

Wow I am so jealous... As a player of only a few weeks with a score under 2000 I am struggling to get through the Halloween Event. Looks like I'll be here for a very long time before even approaching my fellow players expertise! :)

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Treeza
My guess is your Ch9 city on Winyandor is doing somewhat better than the small city in Felyndral. But, I notice you are not in a Fellowship in either world. That really limits your options, especially on the 'solve encounters' quests because you don't have access to the cheaper tournament provinces. Looks like you tried out an FS for about a week in Felyndral, but the other members there are inactive, so you may have concluded that FS are useless. They're not, but you do need to find a good fit for your play style. In addition to tourneys, you also have more players for trading without a fee as well as other FS members to answer questions/give advice as you go. Everyone in the FS benefits from each others' growth, so most try to help where they can. While that might not get you to complete this event (but it might!) it will serve you well in future ones. I'd recommend posting in the 'Members seeking Fellowships' sub-forums for the worlds you're in describing your play style, your boosted goods, etc. You will get responses. Use this website to check out the actual activity of the FS and its members before deciding which one fits better for you:
www.elvenstats.com

DeletedUser19742

I'm glad they added tournament encounters, also. BUT, I wish I had known that "solve x encounters or x tournament encounters" meant it has to be one or the other, and not a combination of both. I started out solving tournament, but had to stop. By the time I came back, the tournament was over, and the "regular" encounters don't count. I really thought I would be able to finish this one. Yeah, no, sorry.

Deborah M

Oh Wise One
I'm glad they added tournament encounters, also. BUT, I wish I had known that "solve x encounters or x tournament encounters" meant it has to be one or the other, and not a combination of both. I started out solving tournament, but had to stop. By the time I came back, the tournament was over, and the "regular" encounters don't count. I really thought I would be able to finish this one. Yeah, no, sorry.

I knew better but started to do combo of both :confused: I did 2 provinces I had ready so 16 encounters. Then I realized I would have to wait another day to finish the 24 that way. I switched to the tournament. It didn't show any progress until I hit 17 encounters in the tournament. Then it switched the count to tournament encounters instead of province encounters. If you can't do it on map provinces then you can finish on tournament encounters starting Tuesday instead.

DeletedUser19742

Thanks Deborah! I might try that. I guess it's good I only made it through 8 on the tournament. Less catching up to do.

DeletedUser19728

@Treeza
My guess is your Ch9 city on Winyandor is doing somewhat better than the small city in Felyndral. But, I notice you are not in a Fellowship in either world. That really limits your options, especially on the 'solve encounters' quests because you don't have access to the cheaper tournament provinces. Looks like you tried out an FS for about a week in Felyndral, but the other members there are inactive, so you may have concluded that FS are useless. They're not, but you do need to find a good fit for your play style. In addition to tourneys, you also have more players for trading without a fee as well as other FS members to answer questions/give advice as you go. Everyone in the FS benefits from each others' growth, so most try to help where they can. While that might not get you to complete this event (but it might!) it will serve you well in future ones. I'd recommend posting in the 'Members seeking Fellowships' sub-forums for the worlds you're in describing your play style, your boosted goods, etc. You will get responses. Use this website to check out the actual activity of the FS and its members before deciding which one fits better for you:
www.elvenstats.com

DeletedUser19728

@Treeza
www.elvenstats.com
Great site! Thank you! Ps Failed the Halloween Event :(