• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Solving Spire Encounters

Moho

Chef
SC11.jpg

StarLoad

Your application and presentation was great, however, I prefer to offer the Spirits the items in the order of presentation in linear order. I never start without filling my coins and supplies and most times I am at 90% anyway. I find that the linear sequence works well for me.

Ed

Moho

Chef
I never start without filling my coins and supplies and most times I am at 90% anyway.
If you cater the entire Spire, I think you'll run out of either coins or supplies at some point. And if you work at the same time, as I often do when I go up the Spire, you may find it annoying to get distracted by too many things at the same time.

Just saying, of course. :)

Iyapo1

I cater the entire spire and yes I run out of coins and supplies. I win enough coin and supply rains in the spire to fix that if i am blasting up, or i just spread it out over a few days and use my productions and visits to replenish.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
In my 18 months' experience with the spire, if it's a choice between tier one goods and supplies or coins, I will always pick supplies and coins first, because it's extremely rare when no spirit wants coins/supplies. However, it is quite common for none of the spirits to want a particular tier one good. I guess we just have different experiences, Moho. It may be that the spire spirits react differently depending upon what level you are on. But I've gone through 4 chapters, at least, and this has been my consistent experience.

Gkyr

Chef
In my 18 months' experience with the spire, if it's a choice between tier one goods and supplies or coins, I will always pick supplies and coins first, because it's extremely rare when no spirit wants coins/supplies. However, it is quite common for none of the spirits to want a particular tier one good. I guess we just have different experiences, Moho. It may be that the spire spirits react differently depending upon what level you are on. But I've gone through 4 chapters, at least, and this has been my consistent experience.
Darielle, you are saying what I always found to be true, and that has served me well with (subjectively) greater than 50% success rate overall in all of my Spire caters, and perhaps I am at 80 to 85% success rate...

....and that is there seems to be a definite hierarchy of probabilities in the likelihood that an item will be accepted. I hesitate to say too much about it in the forum because of the possibility that I am onto something significant (at least, it has served me well for 2 years) and I would not want it to get back to the Devs that their system has been gamed and that they should toughen up the Spire. Nevertheless, it has been my experience that coins get accepted most often, followed by supplies, followed by a specific order for goods, as well. That is all I have to say in agreement.

Moho

Chef
I guess we just have different experiences, Moho.
I am pretty sure we have similar experiences, only my approach is different. And it is not an erroneous one since it seems to work just fine. You don't need to use a lot of coins and supplies to find out which spirits will eventually need receive them.

People prefer to save goods. I would rather save coins and supplies so that I won't squander my time, that's all. People who value time above anything else will probably resonate with me.

BrinDarby

I'm with @Moho , I save coins/tools usually for try 2.....
I now pace myself and do it in 4 chunks...
20 enc, 12 enc, 8 enc, 8 enc .

Iyapo1

People prefer to save goods. I would rather save coins and supplies so that I won't squander my time, that's all. People who value time above anything else will probably resonate with me.
Could you phrase this more offensively please, your scorn and sense of superiority are not crystal clear.

Gkyr

Chef
The way my town is producing, I am always having to wholesale coins. The catering is a good way for me to use them without squandering them on the wholesaler. Supplies are another matter...

...which brings me to my fave way of handling the first three encounters: (this is good for chapter 3 newbies who are just getting started, as well as seasoned players, many of whom probably know this already) since there are three items offered and three chances to cater, the success rate is 100%. Anyone who loses any of the first three caters is not playing the probabilities as well as they could. I offer coin to all 5 spirits; this is a good way of ridding myself of excess coinage. Then I offer the next least valued item to the remaining unfulfilled spirits. Finally, the third item (usually Supplies for me) is offered to any remaining spirits. A win and I rid myself of coins. This way does not give you feedback on the items, but in these caters feedback is not necessary.

Interestingly, it works pretty well for four items (flood the spirits with the first two items then use the feedback to place the last two), but I am still more comfortable using the hierarchy-and-feedback procedure that carries me through the higher level catering.

Darielle

I am pretty sure we have similar experiences, only my approach is different. And it is not an erroneous one since it seems to work just fine. You don't need to use a lot of coins and supplies to find out which spirits will eventually need receive them.

I make sure to be filled to the brim with coins and supplies before I go in, so I have no danger of running short. But then, I usually don't take the spire in one leap. I may clear a floor in one go, but not all three floors. So if you do that, I can understand why you'd run out, although it's hard to cater the whole spire without running out of goods too. I'm far more likely to run out of goods than coins and supplies, so in my 16 chest total leaps, I'm better off my way. That's the beauty of Elvenar; we can each do what is best for us. :)

Darielle

The way my town is producing, I am always having to wholesale coins. The catering is a good way for me to use them without squandering them on the wholesaler. Supplies are another matter...

...which brings me to my fave way of handling the first three encounters: (this is good for chapter 3 newbies who are just getting started, as well as seasoned players, many of whom probably know this already) since there are three items offered and three chances to cater, the success rate is 100%. Anyone who loses any of the first three caters is not playing the probabilities as well as they could. I offer coin to all 5 spirits; this is a good way of ridding myself of excess coinage. Then I offer the next least valued item to the remaining unfulfilled spirits. Finally, the third item (usually Supplies for me) is offered to any remaining spirits. A win and I rid myself of coins. This way does not give you feedback on the items, but in these caters feedback is not necessary.

Interestingly, it works pretty well for four items (flood the spirits with the first two items then use the feedback to place the last two), but I am still more comfortable using the hierarchy-and-feedback procedure that carries me through the higher level catering.
I can understand why you'd do that, Gkyr, but you do lose more stuff that way than you would if you gave each spirit a different item. With only three items to give, it is impossible to lose no matter which method you choose, but at least giving each a different item will save goods in the end. But then, as you say, you're only giving away the things you don't value, so maybe that's not a bad idea after all.

If I may offer a small piece of advice ... build the Prosperity Tower as quickly as you can. I was constantly running out of supplies till I built that. Not only does it provide you with the supplies of a workshop (and at my level, with a smaller footprint) but the biggest benefit is with the PoP spells. For me, I only need one in the morning on each and it will last until I go to bed at night on each workshop. That's a tremendous help. I only have 4 magic workshops and a Prosperity, and yet I am daily buying stuff from the wholesaler with supplies because I have far too many than I can use (despite making tons of troops). That's honestly the workhorse of Elvenar and it's a very undervalued wonder, in my opinion.

Moho

Chef
But then, I usually don't take the spire in one leap. I may clear a floor in one go, but not all three floors. So if you do that, I can understand why you'd run out, although it's hard to cater the whole spire without running out of goods too.
I always do the Spire in one go, except for the situations when we have to leave a number of encounters for quests.

I never run out of goods. Ever since I started playing this game, I have done everything to secure a reasonable abundance in my city. How can people be caterers without making sure they enjoy plentiful goods?

Darielle

I always do the Spire in one go, except for the situations when we have to leave a number of encounters for quests.

I never run out of goods. Ever since I started playing this game, I have done everything to secure a reasonable abundance in my city. How can people be caterers without making sure they enjoy plentiful goods?
It's actually not uncommon. Research eats so many goods in later chapters that even with advanced manufactories, it's still difficult to keep up. For example, my six maxed planks manufactories each produce 6750 planks every 3 hours. Yet my next tech (ONE research) will take over 840,000 planks, 660,000 silk, and 660,000 scrolls (which is not my boost) to complete. The next research is just as bad, as well as the next one after that ... and on and on and on. Combine with that the spire wanting 8 or 10 or 12,000 of each good every time you guess, it can go down VERY fast.

I have more planks, silk, and dust factories than most do. Consider that each planks factory takes up 25 squares. If you aren't that far advanced in chapters, then of course you won't have a problem catering the spire. It's is a piece of cake for my little city in Chapter 8. But if you are in 16 or 17 or higher, you must realize just how much things cost, even for caterers who plan ahead and have enough factories.

Some players believe they know everything based on their own experience and they have a hard time understanding why others have a problem. That's what I meant about Elvenar being different for each player, depending upon a great many factors, including how high your AW levels are, which ones you have, how much they count against you in the tourney, how much they help you in other areas, etc, etc, etc. There are a whole lot of differences between my play and yours.

BrinDarby

@Gkyr ,
the 1st 5 encounters in Spire, are no harder than P1-5 rnd 3 in tourn.
Untill encounter 6, all enemies are 1* and just 5 of them. Why waste
coins/tools/goods if ya don't have to.

Yes, those 1st few Spire encounters are good practice for the novice
Spire player, but can be fought easily with no helpers.

Moho

Chef
Well, indeed.

I had in mind strictly the process of solving the encounters, but when I gave the reason for trying to save my coins and supply I did invoke an external (and personal) factor.

My intention is to show that it works very well and I humbly recommend it to players for whom time is the most important resource in the game.

Iamaita

My spire approach is to save time as well. Just fight it. :)

This is easier in my ch 13 and 15 cities than in my ch 8 and 9 cities. In the 8/9 cities I mostly have to cater spire. When I cater, I’m happy to spend coins and supplies instead of goods. Coins and supplies can be replaced immediately with instants. Goods take time to cook. So… I guess I look at saving time more in terms of time spent on production of resources and less on how much time it takes click through the encounters. But if you are counting clicks, it is faster to fight spire and faster to cater tournaments.

Thanks for taking the time to share your catering strategy, @Moho. It’s a little different than mine, and different methods are always nice to hear.