• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Something REALLY needs to be done about optional squad size "upgrades"

DeletedUser2870

@LEH.elven
Yes, it is more complicated. But my main reason to react there was that the poster used wrong assumptions. Like I said, there are no AWs that increase Squadsize. Trainingsize yes, squadsize no.
Btw, I also mentioned what would be needed to make a fair comparison. However, it is really unlikely such cities will develop since the 'optional' squadsize techs arevery much needed at the start of the game to actually manage to win any fights in the provinces.

But the additional effect of each of the military wonders is not to be underestimated, both in the additional damage and the additionally generated units.

Other than that, I've seen the Spire. Tested it with my main city and several test-cities at low-level and find it generally ridiculously expensive.
As for the tourneys, one can make the choice -depending on your fellowship- whether or not to participate and how intensively. However, the rewards there are very substantial, unlike the extremely skimpy rewards in the Spire.

Pheryll

Set Designer
Sure @Pheryll. . Since you asked, I assume you're a phone-only user. . Why? . Because, on the computer version, you can see the (very easy: don't remember, easy: Green, Medium [I won't scout higher]: Yellow, hard: Orange and, very hard: Red) color of the difficulty scouting and concurring; where on the phone app there's only a single silver circle on unscouted territory.

I am a PC user. To get the message straight, you are saying that when taking a squad size technology, sometimes the color moves toward the easier difficulty and then reverts toward the harder difficulty after completing encounters/provinces. Is that right? Or are you trying to say that different squad size technologies are weighted differently (each squad size technology increases your squad size by 3 times the value shown on the technology).

DeletedUser23732

By the Numbers:
@LEH.elven
Yes, it is more complicated. But my main reason to react there was that the poster used wrong assumptions. Like I said, there are no AWs that increase Squadsize. Trainingsize yes, squadsize no.

You were right.
Btw, I also mentioned what would be needed to make a fair comparison. However, it is really unlikely such cities will develop since the 'optional' squadSize techs are very much needed at the start of the game to actually manage to win any fights in the provinces.

Here you're right on both counts. . However, though it would never be done intentionally. . It should be able to be done where the non squad-size increase city prioritized goods and barters to get the 1st few Territory Tiles. Theoretically, that city can collect their increases after the test. . Although, your statement would suggest that you were wrong to begin with.
But the additional effect of each of the military wonders is not to be underestimated, both in the additional damage and the additionally generated units.

Ok, again I wrote my past post (full Conversation) to support what you wee saying.

I'll take this moment to say thank you. While I have the monastery, I didn't remember what the bonuses were, only that they were military. . So, thanks for the warning about Culture returns.
Other than that, I've seen the Spire. Tested it with my main city and several test-cities at low-level and find it generally ridiculously expensive.

My point exactly!
As for the tourneys, one can make the choice -depending on your fellowship- whether or not to participate and how intensively. However, the rewards there are very substantial, unlike the extremely skimpy rewards in the Spire.

Another good point I don't remember making.

DeletedUser23732

how many optional squad size upgrades have you filled? They're terrible for players that like to fight, because it makes tourneys so much harder.

The 1st occurrence is Squad size upgrade 9, and I know about SSU 14, neither upgrade player squads, just make the enemy larger according to difficulty color.(no change).

Pheryll

Set Designer
The 1st occurrence is Squad size upgrade 9, and I know about SSU 14, neither upgrade player squads, just make the enemy larger according to difficulty color.(no change).

Optional squad size technologies do increase your squad size and can result in the difficulty coloring of normal provinces to shift to the easier coloring. Each of these technologies causes your squad size to increase by three times the value shown on the technology (so SS upgrade 9 increases your squad size by 27).

Alistaire

The difficulty colour bands are quite wide. It's possible for a battle to become easier by shifting within the band, but not changing to a new colour.
And even when they stay the same, you'll see your squad numbers change a bit before and after.

But still, the way these things affect tourney fights is different.

DeletedUser23732

how many optional squad size upgrades have you filled? They're terrible for players that like to fight, because it makes tourneys so much harder.

Optional squad size technologies do increase your squad size and can result in the difficulty coloring of normal provinces to shift to the easier coloring. Each of these technologies causes your squad size to increase by three times the value shown on the technology (so SS upgrade 9 increases your squad size by 27).

So you're saying that the situation is a planned difficulty and the SSU 9 did actually increase the squad size but not significantly to change the difficulty color?

I started this because upcoming SSUs didn't change the color for 4 consecutive SSUs on my Beta Elf. So I'm verifying here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
So you're saying... the SSU 9 did actually increase the squad size but not significantly to change the difficulty color?
Yes. that is what we are saying. Every SSU makes every encounter on the map slightly easier, but it might not be enough to change the colour. Up until a year or two back, we didn't have the colours. They were added later because a lot of people had no idea why there were always losing, because they didn't realize they'd scouted far enough for the encounters to be extremely difficult and weren't able to figure out how difficult they are.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One

So you're saying that the situation is a planned difficulty and the SSU 9 did actually increase the squad size but not significantly to change the difficulty color?

I started this because upcoming SSUs didn't change the color for 4 consecutive SSUs on my Beta Elf. So I'm verifying here.

My girlfriend just did a squad research in her city in halflings. It increased her squad size by about 125 units, but did not change the color of any visible unscouted provinces. This is normal several times over the course of the game.