• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Something you learned today

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Post something new you learned today. I'll go first...

Mrs. Fields, of the warm, soft, decadently delicious chocolate chip cookies found at your local mall, refused to franchise for a long time, but instituted these things called "computers" into each of her locations to track sales and inventory via the intranet (not to be confused with the Internet). She then sold the system to...Burger King.

shimmerfly

My dog likes cold brussel sprouts.

Seriously! she was in the kitchen begging so I gave her one.
God I just had the awful thought they may be poisonous to dogs.
No... I looked it up and here is what I found... great....

"These little organisms create a lot of gas, which is how a body releases excess bacteria. If your dog eats too many Brussels sprouts, you may have to open the windows to rid the house of stinky dog farts."

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I learned not to put too many bagels on the toaster oven rack at once, and just push it all in and hope they come out well. Nope, they don't. They fall off the back of the rack, wind up on the floor of the toaster oven, and burst into flames.

The second thing I learned is that burnt bagels still taste good, once you brush the black parts off. :p

crackie

I learned not to put too many bagels on the toaster oven rack at once, and just push it all in and hope they come out well. Nope, they don't. They fall off the back of the rack, wind up on the floor of the toaster oven, and burst into flames.

The second thing I learned is that burnt bagels still taste good, once you brush the black parts off. :p
We take bagels very seriously in my state. This was a difficult read, but as long as you didn't do this to your bagels, we can still be friends...
D2i5tg2XcAE5v2j

(Also, doesn't sound like you need Buddy's help.)

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
We take bagels very seriously in my state. This was a difficult read, but as long as you didn't do this to your bagels, we can still be friends...
D2i5tg2XcAE5v2j

(Also, doesn't sound like you need Buddy's help.)
Oh gosh, I would NEVER do that to my bagels, lol. What the heck???

crackie

Oh that is just soooo sad. :(
I don’t know if it applies to Ontario, but I know they toast their bagels in a wood-fired oven up there in Montreal, which is also more forgivable than shooting them through bread slicers.

On the topic of toasting though, today I learned from the Brits that they call their grilled cheese sandwiches “toasties”.

Hueanthar

Only new things I've learned today are from the IRC (Internal Revenue Code) and none of you want to hear about that, I'm sure. (Frankly, even I don't want to hear about it.) So glad I have the forum to come to periodically to take my mind off of it! :D

sambria

Chef
My dog can chase cattle for 3 hours straight without having a break or water and my horse can go into a galope on her own without me doing anything. (This is something I observed over the last 5 hours of my morning lol) And also I learned that if your patient with your breakfast you might not burn it every morning.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog

I'm told there are no calories in the burned part. Which gives me another reason to eat it without all the scrapping. Three reasons: 1) Fewer calories helps my diet; 2) Scrapping takes time and my day is too filled with Elvenar to waste time scrapping burnt bagels; and 3) I'm too poor to scrape the burned part off and waste it. Of course, it might be a sort of counter intuitive thing as I just eat it with lots more butter, and the probably undoes all the benefits of just eating it burned. I'll have to get a grant from the US Department of Agriculture, or maybe Department of Education (since many college students survive on bagels) to study the effects of eating or not eating burnt bagels. Always so many important questions the desperately need government funding to be answered.

And what did I learn today? I learned that there is a button on my coffee maker and that once I put in the water and ground coffee I have to push it. I didn't and, much to my surprise, fifteen minutes later... no coffee! What did the coffee maker expect when I put water and fresh ground coffee in? That I didn't want coffee? "Smart appliances," my .....!

AJ

Moho

Chef
I've just learned the term poison pill .

A shareholder rights plan, colloquially known as a "poison pill", is a type of defensive tactic used by a corporation's board of directors against a takeover. (source: Wikipedia)

crackie

Today I learned Pluto didn’t even complete one revolution around the Sun between its discovery and its declassification as a planet. It’s the Drone Rider of Astronomy.

BrinDarby

Even when you lead a horse to water, and they can't be forced to drink it.....
they still won't till drink untill they believe they led themself to the water
in the 1st place. o_O