• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Something you learned today

Silver Lady

Today I learned that the ventriloquist who appeared on the Ed Sullivan show Senor Wences used only his hand for his dummy’s head with his thumb & forefinger being the mouth lived to be 103 (Senor Wences not the dummy but I guess in this case it’s the same thing).

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I just learned that Guns N' Roses needed an accountant, there was a ventriloquist on the Ed Sullivan show, named Senor Wences who lived to be 103. Everything else mentioned, of course, I already knew.

And now I just learned I don't like to lie. :D ;)

AJ

Moho

Chef
Maybe I've seen this before, but it is today that I really planted it into my brain: most visible matter is plasma.

Of course I know the four states of matter: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. When I learned this in school, I was thinking something like: "Ooh, plasma - how exotic. It must be something really rare." It turns out over 99% of the visible part of the universe is plasma.

(If all the matter in the universe formed a pizza and we could split it into six parts, only one of these slices would be visible. It is the part which is made of atoms. The rest of the pizza would remain unseen and almost impossible to investigate. It is called dark matter.)

Last edited:

Mirai

My dog likes cold brussel sprouts.

Seriously! she was in the kitchen begging so I gave her one.
God I just had the awful thought they may be poisonous to dogs.
No... I looked it up and here is what I found... great....

"These little organisms create a lot of gas, which is how a body releases excess bacteria. If your dog eats too many Brussels sprouts, you may have to open the windows to rid the house of stinky dog farts."
If you ever get brussels sprouts on their stalks, then you get the brussels sprouts and the dog gets the "bone" - our friends have big dogs who are very fond of them. (For English mastiff 215 lbs. and svelte values of "big") - happy cronching critters are a delight.

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
I didn’t learn this today …. But it bugs me still so I’m still learning there’s a lot of fake FSs around these parts with a ton of alternate names making farms and pushing KPs and they call themselves number 1…. I see it as a bunch of snowflakes trying to beat the system with lil or no effort. And to think I use to admire them.
Why is it so hard to be real ? Their momma would be ashamed.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Today's vocabulary builder word in my EN group is arschgeige.
Someone who doesn’t perform a particular task very well can be called a “butt violin,” or arschgeige.
Whenever someone posts a word of the day, we have to use it as many times in chat as possible. Maybe @Killy- or @MaidenFair can fill us in more on this interesting German word/phrase. I never thought I'd read butt violin so many times in one day. See, you can't learn about butt violins from reading Tolkien or C.S. Lewis. Just sayin...

Killy-

@crackie I am sure there are a lot out there. I like "Kopfkino", because it is a lovely description. Since it is weekend, let me give you a second one - something I do quite often: "Fremdschämen".

crackie

Ooooo, Fremdschämen looks like a close cousin of Schadenfreude, but a lot less fun. Kopfkino is like your inner monologue, but visually? I have an active kopfkino, especially when it comes to wondering about getting out of situations with tiny T-Rex hands.

Killy-

Yep, I don't know if it is an especially german thing to be ashamed for others, but we have a word for it.^^

crackie

Yep, I don't know if it is an especially german thing to be ashamed for others, but we have a word for it.^^
We have an English word for it too, but unlike the Brits and Canadians, Americans spell it as mom.

Salator

Maybe I've seen this before, but it is today that I really planted it into my brain: most visible matter is plasma.

Of course I know the four states of matter: solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. When I learned this in school, I was thinking something like: "Ooh, plasma - how exotic. It must be something really rare." It turns out over 99% of the visible part of the universe is plasma.

(If all the matter in the universe formed a pizza and we could split it into six parts, only one of these slices would be visible. It is the part which is made of atoms. The rest of the pizza would remain unseen and almost impossible to investigate. It is called dark matter.)
Okay...well, that just blew my mind. Now I have nothing to learn with. :-(

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
Today I learned that almost everyone I know has no idea who Morris Bishop is or the wonderful poem he wrote that I believe is as telling as anything from Keats or Shakespeare. It says more in its lines than a whole treatise by Voltaire.

What was our trust, we trust not,
What was our faith, we doubt;
Whether we must or not
We may debate about.
The soul, perhaps, is a gust of gas
And wrong is a form of right-
But we know that Energy equals Mass
By the Square of the Speed of Light.

What we have known, we know not,
What we have proved, abjure.
Life is a tangled bowknot,
But one thing still is sure.
Come, little lad; come, little lass,
Your docile creed recite:
"We know that Energy equals Mass

By the Square of the Speed of Light."

muffy.

Chef - Scroll-Keeper - Chandelier Swinger - EAA
Today I learned that almost everyone I know has no idea who Morris Bishop is or the wonderful poem he wrote that I believe is as telling as anything from Keats or Shakespeare. It says more in its lines than a whole treatise by Voltaire.

What was our trust, we trust not,
What was our faith, we doubt;
Whether we must or not
We may debate about.
The soul, perhaps, is a gust of gas
And wrong is a form of right-
But we know that Energy equals Mass
By the Square of the Speed of Light.

What we have known, we know not,
What we have proved, abjure.
Life is a tangled bowknot,
But one thing still is sure.
Come, little lad; come, little lass,
Your docile creed recite:
"We know that Energy equals Mass

By the Square of the Speed of Light."
I love that ~

Talaedraiia

My dog likes cold brussel sprouts.

Seriously! she was in the kitchen begging so I gave her one.
God I just had the awful thought they may be poisonous to dogs.
No... I looked it up and here is what I found... great....

"These little organisms create a lot of gas, which is how a body releases excess bacteria. If your dog eats too many Brussels sprouts, you may have to open the windows to rid the house of stinky dog farts."
My dog loves veggies including radishes and an occasional green olive. He’s four pounds and loves a good fresh veggie salad

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Today I learned the Hebrew and Greek of the Bible is a lot different than the English. Translation is very much an art form and wow, can things be lost in translation!

AJ