• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Songs about cars or driving

Gath Of Baal

I know this theme song is not really about driving or a car but its from a movie about racing cars.. Oh and I don't believe I forgot about it.. I had to watch these movies 2 days ago …. Classic!! When I was younger, these 2 movie intros are what made my "Pipe Dream" car be the Lamborghini Countach :p

Omg just listen to that V12 purrrrrrr in the intros.... Pure Ear Joygasm :)

Last edited:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
When I was a kid my parents had a Nash Rambler. So I've always liked "Beep Beep" by the Playmates

ajqtrz

... Beep Beep

This! The only car song!

When I first heard this song I didn't get the ending because I was to young to know anything about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on, gears. When I figure out that 2nd gear meant the engine would have to be running at least 8,000 RPM (or more!) I got the joke. I wonder how many young people get the point of the line today? You think they realize the "2nd" gear comment was just adding massive insult to injury?

AJ

Deleted User - 312108

AJ probably not :) Maybe they can liken it to a geared bicycle or motorcycle?

Donnyd

Ok this one isn't a song but some really cool car stuff. I guess you could say music to my ears. Wish I had any one of these.
Just drive to the water then be able to go fishing from anywhere and no need to pull a boat behind you for when you get there.

ajqtrz

Not sure if this is in here somewhere or not but here's the lyrics to a song I listened to over and over as a kid and performed here and there when I was a young and prospering musician.

While riding in my Cadillac
What to my surprise
A little Nash Rambler was following me
About one third my size
The guy must've wanted to pass me up
As he kept on tooting his horn
I'll show him that a Cadillac is not a car to scorn
Beep, beep, beep, beep
His horn went beep, beep, beep
I pushed my foot down to the floor
To give the guy the shake
But the little Nash Rambler stayed right behind
He still had on his brake
He must have thought his car had more guts
Beep, beep, beep, beep!
My car went into passing gear
And we took off with gust
Soon we were doing 90
Must've left him in the dust
When I peeked in the mirror of my car
I couldn't believe my eyes
The little Nash Rambler was right behind
I think that guy could fly
Beep, beep, beep, beep
Now, we're doing a hundred and ten
This certainly was a race
For a Rambler to pass, a Caddy
Would be a big disgrace
The guy must've wanted to pass me up
Beep, beep, beep, beep
Now, we're doing a hundred and twenty
As fast as I could go
The Rambler pulled alongside of me
As if we were going slow
The fellow rolled down his window
And yelled for me to hear
"Hey, Buddy, how can I get this car
Out of second gear!"

Here's the link to a performance of it.

And, it may be doubtful that some get the humor of the final line since we don't generally use manual transmissions. In the days of this car though, you shifted several time to get your car up to speed. First, second, third, fourth and even fifth (overdrive or "passing gear"). Each gear had a maximum speed, depending on the ratio between it and the flywheel -- the part of the engine that transfers the engine torque to the transmission. If the ratio between the gear and the flywheel wawas low the maximum speed of the car was also low, though the power to the wheels was high. This is why, when starting in first gear, you could overcome the initial resting state of the car. The first gear had a top speed of no more than 10mph. Second, supposedly, would have had a top speed of about 25mph, 3rd, 40-50 mph and 4th the "cruising speed" of 50 to 80 or so. "Passing gear" was designed to give you a burst so you could pass and could, at the time, take the car up to about 120 (which is why speedometers stop at that speed). In any case, when the driver of the Nash Rambler asks how to get the car out of 2nd gear when he was doing 120 the lyrics are saying that the Nash Rambler was just a more powerful car than the Caddy.

Finally, if you consider the ratio of 2nd gear and say it's top speed was 25mph, to get the car up to 120 the engine would have to be turning nearly 5 times faster than normal. Thus, if it is turning over at 3000 RPM, it would have to be doing 15,000 RPM, a speed which would have at least burned the oil out in about 1 minute and blown up the engine (or it would have seized). So, while the final line is funny, it's really a fantasy.

AJ

Last edited: