• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Sorcerers' Homecoming discussion

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I am not spending $ until I get to the point I have to toward the end.
I suspect this will be a popular choice. For the first time there is a very significant "?" as to what exactly you will get for your $$$, and you won't really know until there are less than 59 minutes remaining in the event.
I'm an Amateur. Seriously?? Thanks for the insult Elvenar!
It's interesting, "amateur" by definition is correct as it basically means "not a professional" but in actual north American usage it's much more frequently used as an insult.
Google translate fail.

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Everyone is saying that you can't get gold unless you pay diamonds. I haven't spent a dime and I just made it into gold league a minute ago (and yeah, I know it might not last, but it's good while I have it, lol).

My only strategy is always getting the cheapest per point chest, to aim for the grand prizes. I haven't gotten the 300 bonus money yet from the chests, but I have gotten the 80 bonus currency a couple of times. I'd say I have an average amount of luck. I've gotten an inordinate number of portal profits. Boy, they're giving those things out like candy.

Of course, I'm down to near zero on currency, lol. Maybe some people rather save it for later. I can understand both strategies.

(Edit; I may have gotten the 300 once. I can't remember, lol.)

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Everyone is saying that you can't get gold unless you pay diamonds. I haven't spent a dime and I just made it into gold league a minute ago (and yeah, I know it might not last, but it's good while I have it, lol).
It's true. As you said, your free gold spot won't last. The expected # of free staves is ~240 on Live, and an incredibly lucky player may get 340, but on Beta 366 was the minimum to finish in Gold. :confused:

Iyapo1

I am saving for the Astral and Active crevices. No use for them atm but I am taking the scenic route through the game. They might be really nice to have later...plus emergency spell fragment supply.

Iyapo1

For the first time there is a very significant "?" as to what exactly you will get for your $$$, and you won't really know until there are less than 59 minutes remaining in the event.
And spending in those last 59 minutes - no gambling involved a set number to achieve?

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
And spending in those last 59 minutes - no gambling involved a set number to achieve?

Right. Even though it did not look like it on day one, at the end of every single hour of the event, except at the end of the final hour, the league standings are adjusted for what the players did during that hour. That means in the final hour, you cannot drop down a league, and can only move up because the number of staffs required for each league will be frozen. This means that more than 1% of active players can make gold, more than the next 4% can make silver, and so on. But considering how much someone would have to spend to make the extra set pieces won from silver or gold to make another complete set or two, trying for gold is not worth the time or money. Silver is much more possible. On Beta, I missed silver by 19 points and I had very bad luck winning extra currency. But I also had the benefit of the higher amounts rewarded, so for me it probably balanced out.

And for those wanting to keep track, Beta Bronze ended at 285+, Beta Silver ended at 320+ and Beta Gold ended at 366+. With the lower rewards, these will end up lower on the Live servers, maybe by as much as 20 each. But that still means completing the 13 grand prizes for a complete set will not get you into Bronze at the end, without luck or a few diamonds.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
After looking at the daily prize list again, from the perspective of my chapter 18 city, and there are only a couple of days I will spend my currency. So I will probably sit in Hobby for almost a couple of weeks and then jump up to Gold for a couple of days, and then fall down to Bronze by the end.

I got a couple of the Unexpected Morning building on day one, as a good pop/culture hybrid, and I want to get a couple of the Hungry Treasure buildings, for the mana and because it is a giant animated chest. And otherwise, I will likely dump all my currency on an AK day or the day we get Orc Strategist troop instants.

Iyapo1

But that still means completing the 13 grand prizes for a complete set will not get you into Bronze at the end, without luck or a few diamonds.

As long as I get 1 complete set I am fine with being an Amateur. It just means 26% of players got luckier or spent more diamonds.

Although given the negative connotations of the word amateur....maybe an alternative should be suggested. Platinum, gold, silver, bronze?
Gold, silver, bronze, iron?

Gladiola

I would think there would be more diamond spenders on the live worlds than on beta. I think it's also likely that the number of staffs on different world needed to achieve gold could be quite different. It will be interesting to see.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
It just means 26% of players got luckier or spent more diamonds.

Although given the negative connotations of the word amateur....maybe an alternative should be suggested. Platinum, gold, silver, bronze?
Gold, silver, bronze, iron?

No, still 20% total. 20% are at least Bronze. 5% of that 20% are at least Silver. And 1% of that 5% are Gold. And of the top 50%, that leaves 30% to finish in Amateur, and the bottom 50% in Hobby. And this is only active players, someone who logs in during the event and collects currency at least once. Non-active cities are not part of the percent calculations. So if a server has 20k total cities, but only 10k or them get logged into during the event, that10k is what is used to calculate the league numbers.

I think Inno was only going for Amateur only meaning non-professional. And someone who only does something as a Hobby is going to be worse at it than an Amateur.

SoggyShorts

And for those wanting to keep track, Beta Bronze ended at 285+, Beta Silver ended at 320+ and Beta Gold ended at 366+. With the lower rewards, these will end up lower on the Live servers, maybe by as much as 20 each.
I'm not sure about that. I feel like players spend more on live and the population of live servers is greater. Might be that the bar is set higher here.