• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Sorcerer's Scrolls of Knowledge

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
*smashes bottle of champagne against thread*
Woohoo! I'm christening this thread.

OK, so I've made a new battle tip for the Battle Knowledge section. I'm trying to accompany it with proper visuals to help our autofighting friends who cannot see the map understand, but it's a really slow, excruciating process because I have to make the graphics from scratch and the topic is very technical. To wait for an encounter to show up with the exact scenario I'm documenting is hit or miss (mostly miss) if I try to screengrab it, and the obstacles are as RNG does. I've concluded the easiest (very relative) solution is if I create my own blank battlefield with no units and no obstacles (which itself took forever...dang you, un-uniformly distorted perspective hexagons!).

Goal: To show where a unit ends up after expending max movement, its attack range from that point, and where the enemies likely are when it acts.
LR-Range-map.jpg
Question: The highlighted green tiles and arrows show their attack range reach. Now...is it obvious that an Archer/Crossbowmen in those positions can just as well not use up their full movements and shoot/reach everything behind them too? Do I need to highlight all those tiles behind them too? I'm not going to make a range map for every single unit, but I'm going to make a mid-range Heavy Range one too for a case study and that one gets complicated as Heavy Range act much later than Light Range so the Battlefield is a lot more disturbed from starting position when it's their turn. I'd rather not have to do it over a second time!

@crackie That looks clear to me. As long as there is a blurb at the beginning of the section about it showing maximum movement.

And thanks in advance. I think this will be very helpful to me. I autofight, and have been slowly picking up tips about initiative and movements and range, but definitely don't have the full picture yet.

crackie

I have updated the Heavy Range Attack Zone map in a new Case Study.

New question...
I've added a new Tourney Tip about Maximizing Tourney Points. This technically only applies to fighting, right? Again, I'm not a tourney caterer so I'm only looking at it from a catering perspective now. The catering multiplier is a constant, unlike enemy troop ratio, and catering is pegged to your troop size but your own troop size progression is linear. So that means catering is a constant progression and therefore, doesn't get random large jumps from one province to another, right?

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
I've added a new Tourney Tip about Maximizing Tourney Points. This technically only applies to fighting, right? Again, I'm not a tourney caterer so I'm only looking at it from a catering perspective now. The catering multiplier is a constant, unlike enemy troop ratio, and catering is pegged to your troop size but your own troop size progression is linear. So that means catering is a constant progression and therefore, doesn't get random large jumps from one province to another, right?
I'm not quite sure what you mean... I can confirm that it is cheaper (i.e., I expend fewer goods) completing fewer provinces to more stars than completing many provinces with fewer stars for the same tournament score, which is the same strategy you are suggesting for fighting. Is that what you were asking?

crackie

I'm not quite sure what you mean... I can confirm that it is cheaper (i.e., I expend fewer goods) completing fewer provinces to more stars than completing many provinces with fewer stars for the same tournament score, which is the same strategy you are suggesting for fighting. Is that what you were asking?
The gist is yes, I'm wondering if it is still true for catering to be less costly completing fewer provinces to more stars, so thanks for answering that.

OMG, I'm getting help on my math homework from a philologist! In my defense, got up too early for FA (darn FS blitz through maps) and can't think anymore.

MaidenFair

Chef - Head Philologist
The gist is yes, I'm wondering if it is still true for catering to be less costly completing fewer provinces to more stars, so thanks for answering that.
Yes. At least, I haven't actually priced it on my game provinces but when I did the math using MinMax's spreadsheet, which seemed to be pretty spot on when I've compared costs, it was going to cost me more in goods to get a set amount of tournament points by doing some number of provinces to 5 stars than it would have doing some smaller number of provinces to 6 stars.
OMG, I'm getting help on my math homework from a philologist! In my defense, got up too early for FA (darn FS blitz through maps) and can't think anymore.
LOL. I'm so glad my three years of Algebra 1 finally paid off. :D

crackie

I have compiled 2 lists for Battle Knowledge section to help with strengthening and training troops (split to 2 posts due to length limitations). I didn't think I needed to regurgitate stuff that is already readily available on the Wikis as far as Ancient Wonders are concerned, but have been told I do. That said, I know Ancient Wonders can become a circular topic so I'm avoiding covering things like what Ancient Wonders players should build to what level, etc. I'll leave that for players to decide. Question here is...wonders like Pyramid of Purification and Tree of Enlightenment...they're not really military wonders, but they give free troops. Should they stay or should they go?

Edit: Second question regarding Magic Academy tip...What slot do Vitality Surge show up in?

Last edited:

Gkyr

Chef
PoP and ToE in their lower levels no different from Wise Golem and Brown Bear and other event buildings that provide troops. IMO, if you include the AWs, you are committed to not excluding the event bldgs. (All or none) So, I would exclude PoP and ToE from a primarily military tactics/strategy blurb and, if you wish, lump-mention all bldgs that accrue troops in a separate blurb for that topic. Of course combo buff/troop AW ToT and HF belong in the military blurb.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
The primary military AWs are only the six that increase troop damage or health, as those are the only ones that make individual fights easier. The ones that only give troops may help you do an extra fight or two, but they do not make a fight easier. Maybe those six should be referred to as the combat AWs and the rest can be called military AWs.

StarLoad

PoP and ToE in their lower levels no different from Wise Golem and Brown Bear and other event buildings that provide troops. IMO, if you include the AWs, you are committed to not excluding the event bldgs. (All or none) So, I would exclude PoP and ToE from a primarily military tactics/strategy blurb and, if you wish, lump-mention all bldgs that accrue troops in a separate blurb for that topic. Of course combo buff/troop AW ToT and HF belong in the military blurb.
Yes I agree a separate category
Maybe those six should be referred to as the combat AW and the rest can be called military AWs.

This makes sense to me

Ed

crackie

The same one PP's show up in. I *think* coin and supply instants are in there as well?
I think this is right too. I have seen cycles where I get Pet Food, buff building, and Vitality surge so it has to be in the other 3 slots that isn’t relic or buildings.

Always the Middle one for Vitality, coin and supply instants are in #4

Ed
The slots do move around, especially if you didn’t finish crafting something when MA cycled. I am hesitant to use the word “always”.

The ones that only give troops may help you do an extra fight or two, but they do not make a fight easier.
That’s my thoughts too. They don’t give enough troops to make a difference, unless it’s like light melee that most people don’t even train anyway and you accumulate a small pool of cannon fodder over time from non-use.

This is good. I will compile a list of buildings that give free units then and let the users decide what to do with it. I included some questionable stuff for now because it’s easier to delete than add ;)

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I think this is right too. I have seen cycles where I get Pet Food, buff building, and Vitality surge so it has to be in the other 3 slots that isn’t relic or buildings.

The slots do move around, especially if you didn’t finish crafting something when MA cycled. I am hesitant to use the word “always”.

No, they only seem to move around because that is a bug that Inno will never fix. On the browser, when you open crafting and the recipes are not in their correct slots, just close the MA and open it again and everything will be where it was assigned in the coding. The app is more complicated because you have to close the game, not just the MA, and restart it to get the recipes to be in their assigned slots.

This can confuse longer-time players because when crafting was first added, there were no assigned slots and you could get the same recipe to show up in more than one slot at the same time. But then Inno changed it so that each recipe has an assigned slot and will only show up there, removing the chance of duplicates in the same rotation.

But whether people are confused by the slot bug, or misunderstand it, only one recipe of each grouping will show at a time.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Great job, Helya! It's awesome to have all this info in one place. I especially like all the abbreviations. New people always have trouble with those.