• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Stealing players

• Thread starter DeletedUser8508
  • Start date

DeletedUser8508

The fellowship of integrity wrote too everyone of my players in the fellowship Kingdom of Dilly Dilly and asked them to leave us and join them!!! How is this allowed? They should be disbanded right away!!!

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Well, it's allowed, but generally frowned upon by the player base. Contacting people with a message should be allowed but there is probably no way the devs can read all the messages and filter out the ones doing this kind of thing. "Poaching," is the term I've seen used. The question is, if you are leaving to join a fellowship which acts contrary to what most players expect, what other things will that fellowship require/do?

AJ

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Inno just can't monitor all of our messages. It's too much work. I might be tempted to send a message to all of their players, not to poach them but to relate the exact message that the person sent to all of your people. If it wasn't the archmage, whoever did it will probably get kicked out. If it was the archmage, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the members quit that group and he'd find he is worse off than before he started poaching. It might be good instruction for the future.

LutherTheHairy

I was in a situation where we approached the Archmage of a small fellowship about a merger with our small fellowship. When they did not respond, I reached out to one of the more active players in that fellowship and the Archmage. The active player wrote back . we kept trying to get a response of any kind, but never did from the Archmage, though they did appear to be actively playing. After a while, the active player asked if they could leave the other one and join ours on their own. I said check with their Archmage and I wrote to the Archmage again a couple times.

After a lot of silence, the player joined us and brought another with them. I felt a little badly about this. To this day I don't know if the Archmage is upset by this, but they never said anything. Not sure what else I could have done.

Darielle

I was in a situation where we approached the Archmage of a small fellowship about a merger with our small fellowship. When they did not respond, I reached out to one of the more active players in that fellowship and the Archmage. The active player wrote back . we kept trying to get a response of any kind, but never did from the Archmage, though they did appear to be actively playing. After a while, the active player asked if they could leave the other one and join ours on their own. I said check with their Archmage and I wrote to the Archmage again a couple times.

After a lot of silence, the player joined us and brought another with them. I felt a little badly about this. To this day I don't know if the Archmage is upset by this, but they never said anything. Not sure what else I could have done.
Luther, in that case, I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about. You did the best you could to get their attention. I think the players are better off with you in a fs where the AM is active (and COMMUNICATIVE!), rather than one where the AM is not. Fellowships that have an AWOL AM do not last long.

LutherTheHairy

Let's be honest poaching is not successful if players are happy in the FS.

There is the grass is always greener problem, and also inertia. Someone could sweet talk someone into leaving, and then through communication errors/assumptions or outright lies, the transferring member might find out the new location is not All That after all. But if it is only a little worse, maybe they stay instead of going through the hassle of moving again.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
The fellowship of integrity wrote too everyone of my players in the fellowship Kingdom of Dilly Dilly and asked them to leave us and join them!!! How is this allowed? They should be disbanded right away!!!
There's absolutely nothing wrong with offering a player a place in your fellowship.
You don't OWN your fellowship members.
If players leave your FS to join another, whether on their own initiative or at the offer of another FS, you should be asking yourself what the other fellowship is offering that yours isn't.

The fact is that filling a FS with like-minded players who have the same goals is very difficult because of the total lack of a matchmaking system (Hint hint @inno) Also, virtually all active players who are willing to be in a FS are in one already.

Where should a fellowship who has lost a player or 2 search for replacements?

Edit: AS @Darielle pointed out, attempting to dismantle someone elses FS is mean

Last edited:

Darielle

There's absolutely nothing wrong with offering a player a place in your fellowship.
If players leave your FS to join another, whether on their own initiative or at the offer of another FS, you should be asking yourself what the other fellowship is offering that yours isn't.

The fact is that filling a FS with like-minded players who have the same goals is very difficult because of the total lack of a matchmaking system (Hint hint @inno) Also, virtually all active players who are willing to be in a FS are in one already.

I agree that if you are neighbors with someone, or have some tie with them through trading or otherwise, it doesn't hurt to ask them to join your fellowship, if they ever want a change. After all, they might leave tomorrow and if you don't steer them towards your fs, they may never know you want them. But I think in the OPs case, where one person invites every single member of another fellowship to try to take everyone at once ... that's going too far, IMHO.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Yep I'm with Darielle. It is one thing to write and talk with other players, and at some point, ask if the Fellowship they are in meet their needs. But the act of writing every single player, is rude. I would look into what that player's true motives may be. I might even look on ElvenStats and follow the backtrail of some of the recent recruits, lol, just sayin'. What I would NOT do is name that archmage in a public place, because that is dirty pool. But no, the mods cannot really help you unless you can find a whole bunch of other people who got letters, in which case it is spam, and against the rules. So you would have to get a lot of people who received letters to report the spammer.

Iyapo1

The whole situation just screams personal grudge to me. It is like something a former(and really disgruntled)member would do.

Lelanya

Yeah I didn't want to read anything into it, that's why I suggested looking into the situation.

SoggyShorts

I think in the OPs case, where one person invites every single member of another fellowship to try to take everyone at once ... that's going too far, IMHO.
I'll be honest, I kinda flushed that part of OPs post after I read the "they should be disbanded" line.
Yeah, trying to dismantle someone else's FS is over the top, and not at all what I meant by recruiting from other Fellowships.
It doesn't really make sense though.. I mean the FS that supposedly tried to recruit everyone is already full

Somewhat ironically though all we know for sure is that it is OP who called for the other FS to be disbanded
The whole situation just screams personal grudge to me. It is like something a former(and really disgruntled)member would do.
Ah good ol' elvenstats... let's see, who left A to join B recently? Ah, we have a match, and poof mystery solved?

Last edited:

Darielle

I never thought of the grudge aspect, but yeah, I think you guys are right.

Darielle

I'll be honest, I kinda flushed that part of OPs post after I read the "they should be disbanded" line.
Yeah, trying to dismantle someone else's FS is over the top, and not at all what I meant by recruiting from other Fellowships.
It doesn't really make sense though.. I mean the FS that supposedly tried to recruit everyone is already full

Somewhat ironically though all we know for sure is that it is OP who called for the other FS to be disbanded

Ah good ol' elvenstats... let's see, who left A to join B recently? Ah, we have a match, and poof mystery solved?
Strange that the other fellowship is full, unless they recently got a bunch of members. Good catch. This whole situation doesn't sound right.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog

Edit: AS @Darielle pointed out, attempting to dismantle someone elses FS is mean

I agree that there is nothing wrong with offering a player a place in your fellowship....provided you would be happy if you were an AM and somebody came "poaching" in your fellowship. It's sort of like "do unto others as you'd have them do to you," isn't it? I, as an AM, worked hard to get the 24 great fellowship members I now have. I work hard to keep them happy and things moving forward at the same time. So far, so good. But, as one person says, it's pretty easy to paint your grass a deeper shade of green than mine, especially since the player knows the color of our grass as living on (our) lawn. So, since I wouldn't like it if somebody tried "poaching" one of my players, I won't do it to others.

Of course, as another player pointed out, there is a procedure you can follow should you strike up a conversation/relationship with a player in another fellowship. You can ask. I've done that a couple times. Again, it's what I'd expect if some other fellowship was interested in one of my players. And if the match was better for the player, I'd send them happily. In fact, I've even done so in the past. Most AM's, I think, want their players to be happy and having fun and if they can be happier in another fellowship, great!

So, it's probably just "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you," here and most AM's would rather not have their members poached, so, in general, "no poaching," is the rule.

AJ

SoggyShorts

So, it's probably just "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you," here and most AM's would rather not have their members poached, so, in general, "no poaching," is the rule.
Meh, I totally disagree. Elvenar matchmaking blows and it's a super lucky player who ends up in a FS that is the perfect fit on the first try.
I'm happy to let our most hardcore players go to a more hardcore FS. Same with casual/casual.

So yes, Golden Rule, do unto others, but to me, that means the rule is that poaching is perfectly ok.

Again, how else do you fill a FS?
Advertise on the Forums where 0.02% of players visit?
Hope they notice your FS from tournament rankings?
Elvenstats?

None of those are even remotely as effective as targetted recruitment in my experience.

T6583

The FS I currently am in that I am now the AM of I ended up in because I was "poached" from another FS. But to be honest I was getting ready to start looking anyway. Now I'm extremely happy where I'm at. The point is if a player is happy in their current FS they're not going to leave if someone sends them a message. Lately I've been lucky in that I haven't really had to go looking for members per say. I have a good friend who's the AM of another FS that we recommend players to each other. Members in my FS usually come to me with player recommendations as well. I usually post here and on the various Elvenar Facebook groups when I'm in need of a player as well. In the past and I'm sure again this will happen in the future I've had to go actively looking for members. I usually will look at FS that are ranked well below where my FS is for players that meet what our FS is looking for or if it looks like there is an FS in trouble / not very many active members for canidates. I see nothing wrong with offering a player a possibly better opportunity. Though I will admit it's a bit disrepectful to message every member in an FS unless the other FS was looking for a merger.

Lelanya

Good point on the merger, you would want to talk to everyone.
It's kind of disappointing that we haven't heard from the OP after all the suggestions we've offered.

DeletedUser8508

I like most of your opinions but to raid another fellowship by asking all the members hoping to fill one spot is just wrong and it is disrespectful too the Arch Mage there. When I need a knew player I post on the forum or ask players that I play with in other worlds. I do believe there should be a punishment for a fellowship when they are careless attitudes