• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Story/Chapter quests cannot be declined even after that chapter is completed

UberScout

For the first time, I have run into a story/chapter quest that, once I finished the chapter, it did not change to become a quest that could now be declined. Has this been anyone else's experience? I am told this is not a bug, and that some such quests are never able to be declined.

Whereas there have been some story quests that went out of logical order (or not even possible to do, once one passed a certain point), those quests eventually became declinable. Making ANY type of quest mandatory to advance through the story/chapters/research seems both unnecessary and illogical, especially when it provides no value to either the player's game strategy or as an eventual needed resource later in the game.

So, now I am forced to build and upgrade more workshops from scratch (or buy Magic Workshops) just so that I have the minimum number to allow me to (eventually) get to the quests for the next chapter. I suppose that technically I can continue to proceed through the game/chapters/research without doing this quest; it just prevents me from getting "rewards" from such quests going forward, which seems like a significant part of the game's storyline though. So why force such a conflict?

Has this been anyone else's experience? Should any such quests be made permanently mandatory?

Alram

Flippers just flip
Which quest are you referring to? Support can help clear it, if it is a quest glitch. They happen regularly.

Last edited:

UberScout

it's not a glitch. Support told me this is just the way it is. Some story/chapter quests are not declinable. I may have even encountered these in earlier chapters that I was able to easily do, and so never knew they wouldn't be able to be declined.

UberScout

well, I've obviously confused myself (again)... that collecting the golden chest does not get one into the next chapter; finishing the 1st research does. So, despite what support said, is was just a stupid mistake on my part. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. It is now a declinable quest

Any chance you've forgotten that you aren't finished the chapter until you complete the first tech of the new chapter?

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
In some ways it would help if they changed the graphic for chapters on the research tree to be more obvious. Hate to think how many people have done this.
From 6 years ago:
chapter start2.png

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Strictly speaking, if it was done this way then you would not receive the cauldron diploma for the last chapter until the next chapter is released.
How can you now? The scouting tech is either available or it isn't. Whether advanced scouts is on one side of a line on the ascreen doesn't change when it's available. When you cross the line you should be done the chapter.

UberScout

agreed -- after all, at the top of the screen, the chapter bar actually indicates/implies that the first research is in that next chapter

hvariidh gwendrot

when i started you had no choice but to do the tech tree to advance, i like ignoring goofy quests till i am advanced in to next chapter then picking and choosing which ones i want to do, @UberScout what ch and what quest is not letting you advance ?? i had a member say cauldron made them do it or it would not advance but basically shook it off as a misread but, if they are making things mandatory again, it would be nice to know what and where .. not expecting that from inno as they are terrible at communicating

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
when i started you had no choice but to do the tech tree to advance
When I started (March 2017), there were optional techs in the tree. These were are the techs that have no other techs beyond them. Mostly they were squad size upgrades, but I know in Dwarves there was a squad size upgrade that led to a city expansion. Since I was building for tourney and back then tourney cost was based on squad size, I skipped all optional squad size upgrades as well as that one expansion. I went back and completed them for event quests after they changed the tourney structure so that it no longer relied on squad size. That was was a few years later.
I also remember a red exclamation point on the first Banshee research. Reading here, that tech was inserted into the tree in an earlier chapter than the 'last' chapter at the time they did it. Didn't apply to me, since I wasn't there yet, but the red mark didn't clear until I got there and activated the tech. Anyone who was further along than that tech had to go back and complete it.
So, they don't do it often, but they have done it before.
what ch and what quest is not letting you advance
The OP was talking about storyline quests that become declinable when you activate Adv Scouts for the next chapter. They had confused opening the chest with activating the tech. Once they activated the tech, the quest became declinable.
They were also having trouble navigating the forum and typed within the 'quoted post' box so you may have missed it.

Sir Squirrel

Artist EXTRAORDINAIRE and Buddy Fan Club member
Yeah there was a suggestion in like that on beta years ago, it passed, but nothing got done about it. :(

Last edited:

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Ok I do remember this one, I think it was very irritating to a dear friend of mine, who used to run with 3 magic workshops. Was that Amuni chapter, maybe? Going from memory here.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Ok I do remember this one, I think it was very irritating to a dear friend of mine, who used to run with 3 magic workshops. Was that Amuni chapter, maybe? Going from memory here.

Somewhere along the way they changed things so that Magic buildings of the current chapter count as two for quests like these, so three Magic Workshops, as long as you have upgraded them, would count as six. This helps a lot still, as the current end-game chapters still have the story quests requiring certain numbers of workshops and residences.

Pheryll

Set Designer
How can you now? The scouting tech is either available or it isn't. Whether advanced scouts is on one side of a line on the ascreen doesn't change when it's available. When you cross the line you should be done the chapter.

The diploma does not require the scouting tech (of the next chapter). It requires all the techs of that chapter to be completed. Moving the first tech of the next chapter over to the previous will make it part of the count for the diploma. People do right now have 20 diplomas for having done all researches of all 20 chapters.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Strictly speaking, if it was done this way then you would not receive the cauldron diploma for the last chapter until the next chapter is released.
Moving the first tech of the next chapter over to the previous will make it part of the count for the diploma.

The change is only graphical, there does not need to be any change in the game mechanics whatsoever. That's why it's annoying that inno hasn't made this simple improvement in 6 years. I did it in minutes using paint.

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
The diploma does not require the scouting tech (of the next chapter). It requires all the techs of that chapter to be completed. Moving the first tech of the next chapter over to the previous will make it part of the count for the diploma. People do right now have 20 diplomas for having done all researches of all 20 chapters.
And they still can. Until the Scout tech appears, it doesn't exist as far as the game is concerned. The game doesn't care which side of the line the scout tech appears on now, why should it need to act any differently if the location is drawn differently later? All they have to do is stop showing people a line that makes them think they are done when they aren't done. It is 100% cosmetic.