• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Suggestion Regarding Neighborly Help

OgreGreen

It would be great to be able to deactivate some of the options of Neighborly Help, limiting what other players can click on. For example: I'd like to be able to deactivate my Builder Hut and Main Hall from being helped so when other players provide me with Neighborly Help, Culture is the only option for them to click on.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
@Enevhar Aldarion I hate to disagree but with the new way of doing things on the mobile I think the whole thing just gets so automatic that almost everybody just picks culture. I get about 30 visits a day and 27 of them are culture, 1-2 are builder and 1 is MH. But, then again, I don't have my preferences in my city name....so I'll change that and see if you are more right than me....or if you are right altogether.

AJ

DarkKitty

I second this, I have culture listed in one of my cities that really needs it and ppl still hit the hut and the main hall... I don't know if they just click without reading or what but it's frustrating when you have few active neighbors with only one active culture boost and the last 4 interactions are MH, BH, BH, MH... It would help players like myself who only have a few active players to interact with. =^._.^=

Mykan

Oh Wise One
The problem you need to address with this is what happens when your culture is full? The NH is beneficial to you and to the person doing it, if all the culture is already boosted do they just miss out?

I have a neighbour who only asks for culture but regularly when I visit her town the only option available is the MH as every other help has being provided already.

DarkKitty

I wish I had the problem of too much culture...

In a perfect world, you could deactivate the ones you don't want and if you are "full" then it would default back to the other options. Which is complicated, but honestly it would be a godsend for me where I can only get one or two building boosted and I languish at the lowest or second lowest culture level.

Kekune

@DarkKitty I looked you up and it seems your fellowships have a lot of inactive members (one more than the other). Fellows are a great source of help, so inactive groups are a real challenge to overcome. One way to improve this would be to find a more active group, either by yourself or with your fellows as a merger of sorts with another group.

Aritra

I understand that putting preference in the city name slot is helpful to communicate, but it would still be nice to reduce their options. Setting to list only [culture] and only when that is no longer available provide [MH] to click, then [builder] when that is also no longer available. If there's nothing left to help, then NH is simply not available. The interface would just have a setting (dropdown or ordering or whatever) to show first choice, second choice, and third choice would obviously default as remaining option.

I look at the city name to see what they want. Nearly all want culture, and since that is most common, if there is no preference, I click culture as default. But there have been a few times (and more than once) I would be in a groove and click culture before my mind registered the exception (getting better at associating city name with exception status so when I click on that city I remember to really check). So, if you're one of my neighbors and I don't give you what you want, this is probably why. I'm working on getting out of the habit of clicking while I read city name (for preference) but delay the click a second to process what it actually says, lol.

Last edited:

Iyapo1

I catch my self looking for specific letters. Then clicking before I realise that the letter in question is third on the list! Opps. I try much harder to avoid this in FS than in neighborhood. Most of my neighbors dont visit me so I am out there for me not them.

LordVorKon

I wish I had the problem of too much culture...

I also looked at your city on Winyandor (I assume it's yours, anyway). Please forgive the presumption, but it looks quite inefficient. You appear to have almost 40 streets you don't actually need, what with streets on both sides of buildings and to buildings that don't require street connections. However, just upgrading all the streets you do have to chapter 5 would gain you about 2000 culture.

I did a little work in ElvenArchitect and took before and after screenshots if you're interested, but I won't clutter up this thread with further off-topicness.

DarkKitty

I also looked at your city on Winyandor (I assume it's yours, anyway). Please forgive the presumption, but it looks quite inefficient. You appear to have almost 40 streets you don't actually need, what with streets on both sides of buildings and to buildings that don't require street connections.

Not a problem! Ironically, that's the city that's fine. :) I keep it that way because I like how it looks.

I did a little work in ElvenArchitect and took before and after screenshots if you're interested, but I won't clutter up this thread with further off-topicness.

This is very kind. I'm afraid to ask for them tho because if I see the screenshots it'll destroy the idea I have in my head for how to grow the city based on my weird aesthetics. But thank you so much.

I looked you up and it seems your fellowships have a lot of inactive members (one more than the other). Fellows are a great source of help, so inactive groups are a real challenge to overcome.

You're right. I hesitate to leave because I like the few fellows that are active... A merger is something to discuss, tho. TY.

I understand that putting preference in the city name slot is helpful to communicate, but it would still be nice to reduce their options. Setting to list only [culture] and only when that is no longer available provide [MH] to click, then [builder] when that is also no longer available.

Yes, exactly! If there were a way to rank them and give only one choice in the menu at a time that would be great! I was thinking about that as I was falling asleep last night! lol

Last edited:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I second this, I have culture listed in one of my cities that really needs it and ppl still hit the hut and the main hall... I don't know if they just click without reading or what but it's frustrating when you have few active neighbors with only one active culture boost and the last 4 interactions are MH, BH, BH, MH... It would help players like myself who only have a few active players to interact with. =^._.^=
I have one neighbor that has BH listed, and I have never once ... not once in an entire year ... been able to click the BH. It's unclickable. That neighbor might think I'm ignoring his instructions, but I am not. He just happens to have a lot of good gift givers. As you know, you can only have as many building helps as you have builders (but I'm saying it again for newer folks who might be reading this thread.) Some people don't have a level 5 building hut, so they can't get that five helps. And too, even with a level 5 hut, they may have 5 fellowship members that always click those early in the morning, before a person can get to it. What bothers me is when people think you are simply not paying attention, when you certainly are. Now granted, that's not what you were referring to; culture is easier to hit than building hut. People usually have more culture buildings than they have builders. But I have had neighbors that only had 5 culture buildings and they were all taken, so I chose whatever I can get. Doesn't happen that often, but with few culture buildings, it can. I do believe that people (especially experienced players) read the instructions for your city and follow your wishes.

DarkKitty

Doesn't happen that often, but with few culture buildings, it can. I do believe that people (especially experienced players) read the instructions for your city and follow your wishes.

Yea, I'm not sure what's going on in the minds of those who just hit whatever. And def if you can't help in the way someone asks, then help as you can. :)

It would still be awesome on the menu just to be able to put things in an order that would best benefit what you need in your city for ppl who just can't be bothered or don't understand the request. :cool:

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Yea, I'm not sure what's going on in the minds of those who just hit whatever. And def if you can't help in the way someone asks, then help as you can. :)

It would still be awesome on the menu just to be able to put things in an order that would best benefit what you need in your city for ppl who just can't be bothered or don't understand the request. :cool:
Good idea

SoulsSilhouette

Buddy Fan Club member
Maybe they could put it in the set up for NH where you put in your preference... mine is always BCM... then when my builder is full, we go to culture and then the MH would show up at the end.... Not sure if that is possible or even practical.

Zariantha

If they did this, I would like to retain the ability to let people choose what they want. I like getting a variety of different help. If I chose BCM I might never get M help because I have so many culture buildings. If I chose CBM, same problem with builder and M. And can you ever get to the limit of M help you can receive? If I chose MCB, I would only ever get M. I want the option to give no instruction.

Aritra

If they did this, I would like to retain the ability to let people choose what they want.
I doubt this would be a problem. If they are willing to create a menu (or whatever mechanic is decided) to select preference order, it seems like it would be easy enough to have one more option of "no preference."

WolfSinger

I like this idea - but what I would like to see also is something that was talked about in the forums years ago - a way to turn off help for a specific building. Or to have the system drop culture off the screen when max culture bonus is reached.

I typically run close to max culture in my city without NH and would love to be able to turn off the ability to help on all but a couple of the culture buildings so I could get the little boost needed and then have visitors hit the BH or MH.

For now, I'm just allowing for the fact that 75% on NON FS visitors seem to ignore the (BH / MH) in my city name and just click on culture anyway. And some of those have their city names set up asking for MH first - which I find very ironic. You have a specific request - but ignore another player's request.