• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

switch buildings is a MUST!

DeletedUser1601

I want the ability to click on two different buildings and have them swap places so long as their is room to do that. I am sick and tired of having no room in my city and two high level buildings of the same size that need to swap places.

Lets say you just opened up a new square and now you have a 3x3 culture item there. An hour after it is built you decide..crap...I really want my barracks there because its upgrade is a 5x6 and if I put it there I will have room with the square next to it to upgrade it finally..but oh darn. you have no room to move that 3x3 culture statue.

Well if we could just click on the two and have them swap places this wouldn't be a problem and you wouldn't need to sell your culture item needlessly wasting resources.

what if was two level 15 buildings? That is expensive to replace and you can't delete it. We need ability to swap buildings places.

DeletedUser1766

I agree. Temporary storage is vital as the buildings get bigger and change shape. It is frustrating to have to delete a culture building to move things around and then rebuild it. It is even worse if you get the space size wrong and you deleted a vital cultural building for nothing. sigh. I have done this because I did not work out the space properly and ended up having to remove 2. Took ages to get them back.

DeletedUser

Absolutely agree I have just had to delete several houses full of residents in order to rearrange my city. Its crazy that you can't simply pick up one building and swap it with another provided the spaces are compatible.

DeletedUser1601

Hopefully we can get even more people to post here about how they agree and they will do it for us! It will also make people want to play longer since building cities will be a LOT easier!

Which also means more money for INNGAMES because people will be playing longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

qaccy

Forge of Empires (another game developed by Inno with similar city-building aspects) already has this feature, granted it was also something that wasn't available at the start and was implemented later. I don't personally agree with the people asking for 'temporary storage' for buildings (that seems to infringe too much on the 'strategy' part of city-building in favor of convenience), but I definitely would like to see the ability to 'swap' buildings attached to your cursor when moving things around.

DeletedUser1766

Forge of Empires (another game developed by Inno with similar city-building aspects) already has this feature, granted it was also something that wasn't available at the start and was implemented later. I don't personally agree with the people asking for 'temporary storage' for buildings (that seems to infringe too much on the 'strategy' part of city-building in favor of convenience), but I definitely would like to see the ability to 'swap' buildings attached to your cursor when moving things around.
I do not want to be able to store buildings but I would like to be able to pick a few up and rearrange them. I think of it as temporary storage but in reality it is just picking up and holding them while you do things. I find it really hard to see through buildings when I am working on roads in built up areas. I get a gap which stops everything working but I have trouble finding it and fixing it because I cannot clear the buildings away just long enough for me to see the road and fix it. The way things are at the moment I have to keep space open just for that purpose. If I run out of space I get really frustrated. Sometimes I pick up the road not a building and have trouble putting it back because I cannot see the empty space. Sometimes I have trouble placing a building because there is a item on the ground that I cannot see which is blocking one square. It is not storage just putting things in my inventory bag and have to be placed back or I lose the changes.

DeletedUser61

I definitely would like to see the ability to 'swap' buildings attached to your cursor when moving things around.
jigsaw.jpg

Elvenar is distinctly different from FoE, in that we hare 20 upgrades per building type. If you're going to change ONE building, then you're going to have to make room for a whole bunch of upgrades. As such, swapping and "temporary" storage would not be as effective as you might suppose.

What IS very effective is an empty expansion or two, that you can use as a buffer. In between upgrades you can fill it up with extra roadway and other junk that you're going to toss as soon as you need the space.

qaccy

View attachment 1034
Elvenar is distinctly different from FoE, in that we hare 20 upgrades per building type. If you're going to change ONE building, then you're going to have to make room for a whole bunch of upgrades. As such, swapping and "temporary" storage would not be as effective as you might suppose.

What IS very effective is an empty expansion or two, that you can use as a buffer. In between upgrades you can fill it up with extra roadway and other junk that you're going to toss as soon as you need the space.

Indeed, keeping empty space around is required when rearranging because currently that's the only way you can move buildings, short of just selling everything and rebuilding in a different configuration. However, an expansion is generally used as a means to improve a city's output, and if it's constantly empty for the sake of needing a place to put things, then more often than not you're not really utilizing your city's full potential. Unfortunately, another useful tactic that works in FoE (selling roads) is not quite as viable here, as roads are much more relatively expensive due to the goods requirements. As far as building shapes/sizes go, I'd argue that this game is actually easier to manage than FoE is. Houses generally follow the same pattern as here (gradually getting larger as you advance) but supply and goods buildings are far more numerous and vary wildly in shape compared to here. If that game can benefit from a swap mechanic, I think this one definitely can as well!

DeletedUser3087

I have seen many towns that were expanded very long and short, many of the problems cited would be easier to do if they had expanded in a square grid. Many of the buildings change their orientation from what they were in the beginning and you have to plan on that! You can use this website to actually plan out current layouts and future layouts with the planner guide at http://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/ . Makes it easier to try out new layouts.