• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Team members

• Thread starter Deleted User - 4684565
  • Start date

Deleted User - 4684565

Having a slight problem getting my team members to read in-game messages I have asked them several times to check their messages especially when it's group messages I have 11 members 12 including me i've asked them to let each other know when we have trades and some form time to time but still not like they should , basically I am trying to get them to be more active I've asked them nicely and try to encourage them but it seems like it's not working so what do I do I need some advice

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
There are two problems I see in this. First, groups have norms. If your group norms -- the general and accepted way of doing things --are to ignore or treat messages lightly, that norm cannot be easily changed exactly because it's a group norm, not a leadership decision. The second is that you may not want to do what needs to be done to change it.

To change it you must first trade some leadership credit -- the credit you have in being the leader -- and put some pressure on the group to change the norm. It sounds to me you've already tried that and it isn't working.

The second thing you can do is exercise formal influence...the right to punish and reward. Your position means you can remove players and/or praise and reward them. The game allows a lot of praise but not much reward. It also allows blame and punishment by removal or demotion.

So, in my opinion you should try the praise route for a bit. Every time a person responds praise them in some way. Say "thanks for the ("quick," "clear:", "helpful"?) response. Noticing when somebody does the right thing is so important if you want them to stop doing the wrong thing.

The second problem is that while you may start with praise you will eventually need to use the stick and remove the parts that don't fit. It's like trying to build a flying machine You can try to get to an airplane by attaching two wings to your bicycle, but that's not going to fly any time soon. You either need to accept pedaling as your mode of transportation or replace the bicycle. So after a few weeks, begin moving people out. Be sincere and let them know that you are not doing it because they are "wrong" in how they play the game, but that their style doesn't meet the needs of the fellowship and it's goals.

Those are my thoughts on how I'd handle the situation. I'm with you in that some people just seem to think messages should be ignored/skimmed but never get a response. Sigh.

AJ

Gath Of Baal

If you have a few members that are active but do not respond to in game messages or chat

the first thing you should try to find out is if they speak and read English. I have been in a few different fellowships that not all the members spoke English.

Next try to find out if they have a disability that prevents or makes it hard for them to read in game text. They might not know about magnifying or zooming in the screen to be able to see the text better.. I actually got kicked from a Khelonaar fellowship that I liked because I didn't know how to magnify my screen at the time and placed some fellowship adventure badges in the wrong spot

Also from personal experience you might want to ask these players how many worlds they play on and how many different fellowships they are in. I know at one time I was in 10 different fellowships at the same time and at the time was way overcommitted to this game. I spent more time being active in my "Main City" fellowship but the other 9 all I ever did was log on to them and do visits, productions and trade and cared less what else went on in those fellowships. For a few of them it was enough just to be active and do visits but a few had some problems with it.. I am down to playing 1 city now and spend alot of quality time enjoying my fellowship

Deleted User - 4684565

I myself was in two other fellowships and all the members in both fellowships would let each other know when they either were checking their other cities or if they were going to be gone for a while to me that's a good fellowship but I decided to focus on my fellowship and get it up and running
To me if you are going to have a fellowship there needs to be communication between the members but that's just me

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I would use the carrot rather than the stick approach. Tell members that your ratings system, as far as fellows, ambassadors and mages go, will be tied to performance levels. Create a list of performance goals and then, if players surpass a certain amount, they are named mages, ambassadors, etc. Have a monthly or quarterly review, and raise or lower people as desired. You don't even have to confront them ... you can just quietly change their status, being vocal and praising them when they get raised, for positive reinforcement, or saying nothing when they are lowered, so as not to embarrass them. They'll see it for themselves. You can private message them about it, if you like ... just don't call them out if they get lowered in front of everyone, or they might leave (unless you want them to go, lol). Just a thought.

Deleted User - 4684565

Thanks for the advice I've already lowered some and im fixing to lower more and if that doesn't help them I will tell each one privately im letting them go

hvariidh gwendrot

what you do is just monologue for 8 to 10 days straight on every topic and thought stream you have nonstop 24 hours a day till others start chipping in to get you to shut up .. works like a charm

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Remember the day, when your heart beat just a little faster just to see the mail notice?
"Oooo, mail! For me!!!"
This was me, a noob, in the Spring of 2016 ;)

Yeah those days are gone, I have multiple swap threads, it's like, sigh, I wonder if any old friends have written.

But @Sir Mackintosh, the fact is, not everyone enjoys mail (shocking, I know). I sat right next to a guy I mentored - he opened it, glanced at it, and deleted it.
"Was it anything good?
Oh, they might be closing the fellowship.
What? When?
I don't know I deleted the mail. "

Another player received a mail between 5 of us that were Elixir boosted, a notice to push in tourney. A day and a half later I pm'd her, and she said
"oh I didn't think that meant me,
Are you elixir boosted?
Yeah"
*face slap *

The fact is, you or I might enjoy communication and input, but not everyone thinks the way we do!

NightshadeCS

Some people you just can't teach....

All good ideas above. As a test/fun thing to encourage looking at messages, offer a contest. Some may still ignore, but you could say you will donate 3KP to everyone who replies to your message within 48 hours. Do it again next week, but offer a riddle or something that requires a bit more participation.

This will at least tell you the people who don't care AT ALL. : )

Good luck.

Deleted User - 4684565

I would use the carrot rather than the stick approach. Tell members that your ratings system, as far as fellows, ambassadors and mages go, will be tied to performance levels. Create a list of performance goals and then, if players surpass a certain amount, they are named mages, ambassadors, etc. Have a monthly or quarterly review, and raise or lower people as desired. You don't even have to confront them ... you can just quietly change their status, being vocal and praising them when they get raised, for positive reinforcement, or saying nothing when they are lowered, so as not to embarrass them. They'll see it for themselves. You can private message them about it, if you like ... just don't call them out if they get lowered in front of everyone, or they might leave (unless you want them to go, lol). Just a thought.

All good ideas above. As a test/fun thing to encourage looking at messages, offer a contest. Some may still ignore, but you could say you will donate 3KP to everyone who replies to your message within 48 hours. Do it again next week, but offer a riddle or something that requires a bit more participation.

Good luck.
I don't know how to donate KP to team members I play on a tablet and im not very tech savvy

Good luck.
I don't how to donate KP to team members I play on a tablet and I'm not very tech savvy

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Open the Fellowship Members window. To the right of a member's name will be a green button with the AWKP symbol in it. Tap the button and it opens a window with that member's AW's. Slide to see more AW's. Tap the AW you want to donate and it opens that AW to the research menu. Use the regular kp buttons (1 or 10) to insert/donate kp to that AW. Use the smaller green button on the far right with the AWKP symbol to access a window with all your AWKP. Slide to see more denominations of AWKP, and tap the one you wish to insert/donate to that AW.

Deleted User - 4684565

Open the Fellowship Members window. To the right of a member's name will be a green button with the AWKP symbol in it. Tap the button and it opens a window with that member's AW's. Slide to see more AW's. Tap the AW you want to donate and it opens that AW to the research menu. Use the regular kp buttons (1 or 10) to insert/donate kp to that AW. Use the smaller green button on the far right with the AWKP symbol to access a window with all your AWKP. Slide to see more denominations of AWKP, and tap the one you wish to insert/donate to that AW.
Sorry I still don't understand I don't think I can I play on a tablet
I click on our banner and it shows all members but when I click on there name all it shows is the house icon, or change status

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Sorry I still don't understand I don't think I can I play on a tablet
I click on our banner and it shows all members but when I click on there name all it shows is the house icon, or change status
You need this first:
ignore.png

Iamaita

A couple thoughts here.

First, I think it’s always easier to modify your own expectations than someone else’s behavior. Some people will just never participate in chat or look at messages. So then you have to ask yourself if they are still an asset. We have a few members than are like that, but they still contribute to everything and play every day. I would rather have that player than someone who is online once a month or an empty spot.

Second, if you delete a message thread, new messages in that thread will not come to your inbox. So if you just keep replying to the same thread, and they deleted the first message to clean out their inbox... they will never see your messages at all.

And one more thing... it takes some time to build a good fellowship. Be patient. If you are really frustrated, joining an established fellowship instead of building your own from scratch might be something to consider.

Good luck!