• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Discussion The Cauldron - Discussion Thread

Fiona Selah

No, you won't. In my Beta city, I used over 45 million goods and who knows how many millions of coins, supplies, orcs, mana, and seeds and only got one effect to level 94.
Crazy! I do have two up to 60 and two at 53 and 55... 45 million goods! Wowza! I HAVE NOT been counting for a reason... Lol!

Vigali

It seems like there's a pretty heavy emphasis on "Success Rate" thus far in the discussion (i.e., how to maximize the number of ingredients you can put in to maximize your success rate), and I think that's probably a bit misguided.

The Success Rate it's giving you is the percentage chance that you will receive any buff -- but it's important to note that not all buffs are created equal, and in fact some buffs may be inconsequential/worthless to many players. For instance, right now my city has a massive oversupply of mana, seeds, AND unurium (tail end of Ch19). I am basically soft capped on them when factoring in decay; buffing these productions for me is worthless. Similarly, while I wouldn't call the Goods production buffs *worthless*, they are pretty much inconsequential for me right now; I'm certainly not going to use time boosts to maximize their value, because I have other much more valuable things to spend time boosts on. The Goods production buffs basically amount to a free MM spell for me, and I have plenty of MM spells sitting around that I'm not using right now.

The most valuable things for me are the military buffs, and they're arguably the only buffs with any value for me at all.

So, if I maximize my "Success Rate" by adding in as many ingredients as possible, what I'm really doing is diluting the percentage chance that I receive buffs I actually care about.

Another way to think of this: for simplicity's sake, let's say there are only 3 buffs available to me (Buff A, Buff B, Buff C). Let's further say that I do not care about Buff A or B at all; they are inconsequential to my city and will not materially help me. Which option should I choose?

Option 1:
Buff A = 33%
Buff B = 33%
Buff C = 33%
Overall Success Rate: 99%

Option 2:
Buff A = 10%
Buff B = 15%
Buff C = 55%
Overall Success Rate: 80%

The smart play for me here is to choose Option 2; while my overall success rate is lower, my actual success rate (i.e., success rate on buffs I actually care about) is higher.

That's how I played it this week; I placed 5 Mana Shell, 5 Flying Iris, 5 Nightshade Blossom, and 4 Mocking Tongues. I was only able to put in 19 ingredients (whereas if I had spread things out, I could have placed 23), so my "Success Rate" was lower than it could have been -- but my percentage chance for military buffs was MUCH higher.

I ended up receiving the Barracks Strength buff, Training Grounds Strength buff, and Merc Camp health buff (and a Mana buff that obviously I don't care about). I'm pretty happy with this week.

Fayeanne

2. Being able to make donations any time the witch is there; not only after you make a potion.
I am guessing the reason this is not allowed is because you can donate goods to receive more Witch Points, which you could then use to brew better potions. It seems they only want you using purchased Witch Points for research, not potions, so they lock you out of gaining any until you can no longer make potions.

For that matter, this may also be why you have to drink all the potions at once.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
I am guessing the reason this is not allowed is because you can donate goods to receive more Witch Points, which you could then use to brew better potions. It seems they only want you using purchased Witch Points for research, not potions, so they lock you out of gaining any until you can no longer make potions.

For that matter, this may also be why you have to drink all the potions at once.
valid point.
But that could have been solved jsut naming the current witch points two different things. 1st name for the witch points used to make a potion. And 2nd name for donation points. - Since donation points cant be used for crafting potions, and the system goal is to use all potion points for potion and not to donations... it seems an easy solution for what they already have intended.

Kadhrin

Sounds like some screenshots and a submitted ticket might be in order!
Yeah, I have some screen shots from one city. Now that the FA is over, I can check to see what's happening with it on the other cities, get more screen shots, and work on the writeup.

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
That was the Beta Announcement, on live, it looks like the hammer will fall on January 31st! Best get your research done, and warn your fellows.
EDIT: In the past, the Developers have given us a period of time, and then made a research mandatory, rather than optional. On Monday January 31st here on live, whatever research any of us may have been working on will be hijacked, and we will be required to first complete the Cauldron research in mid chapter 5. Of course, if anyone has not reached it yet, it will not be a problem.

BrinDarby

so does that mean then, if the research hasn't been
done, the quest will be different ??? doesn't sound
like Inno's MO at all.....

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
@Lelanya , So is this a way to force non CH-5 tech trees
to CH5 anyway ??? Inquire'n minds wanna know.
No it won't matter if you have not yet reached this area. Just for those of us who've passed it, and were planning on holding it for a 'Research a Tech' quest, it will be VERY annoying.

BrinDarby

@Lelanya ,
wanna bet 1 dollar, that since TheCauldron is un-avail
2 days a week, that the devs will put a quest out on 1 of
those 2 days, need'n TheCauldron somehow , hahahahaha :D

I just hope it doesn't impact my 2 ch3 cities..... :rolleyes:

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
So they plan on using the caulron for event quests?
I didnt care at first, but the more i think of it, that seems problematic depending on what these quests are.
My first thought was 'donate resources x amount of times'. Basically the caulron version of 'buy x kp'. And i HATE the buy kp quests with a passion. At least the cauldron has more options for resources.. But still. That could lead to ppl holding back on using/donating to the caulron jsut for the sake of the quest. I think thats a bad sign/use.
'Brew a potion' could be one i guess. But if you can only do this once a week... you could have a big problem if it doesnt show up at the exact right moment. And since that moment is diff for us all... i dont see how thats not going to upset a lot of ppl.
'get successful boost' maybe? Still a bad idea tho. You might be able to increase chances of success but not everyone will be able to reach 100%. You could have a lot of ppl missing out on a boost, especially if thye are learning the caulron system still. They again, they have to wait a whole week to try again. S.. still bad.

I dont rly see cauldron quests going well. Unless there is one i havnt thought of yet..