• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Discussion The Cauldron - Discussion Thread

defiantoneks

gosh there's so much negativity. i frankly love the fact that i now have an outlet for the incessant overage of coins and sometimes supplies (which really gives me a reason to use the 2000+ PP spells, combined with the fact that the Seasons gives me rewards for using those too).

my advice to anyone complaining about the duration or power of their spells: that's what study is for! embrace it. expect that potions are temporarily just a learning mechanism. they're free. test em out. play around, yes as soon as the cauldron opens. who cares if the effect isn't great. learn from what you did while it costs little to nothing, and then go improve your studies so next week it's a little better. and so on and so forth. it wont take long for your Donations to reach a level where you're not doing mass purchases of witch points, so waiting to study another day or two is fine.

learn. grow. if you thought they were going to instantly give you free troop boosts that were great for a whole week then i dont think you're been paying much attention to how this game works.

free-spirit

I upgraded 3 of the effects I plan to try for most often to level 50. It was pretty inexpensive to use goods to get them that high. After brewing this week, the effect (barracks attack) lasted 4 hours. I was pleased with the small boost it gave for the cost of a little time and some coins I used to upgrade the effects. I did not use any Diamonds or Spell Fragments.

I'd still like to be able to upgrade my effects throughout the week rather than have to wait until I brew since I was going for a fighting boost and waited until the last hour the Cauldron was available.

BrinDarby

If partial payment works, I'll just brew one 50 cost
potion, and spend the remaining upgrading each week.
by next year it might be worth worry'n about.....

Myne

Oh Wise One
As a daily task? Those offer a single 10-minute timer as a reward and can be ignored without any real drawback.
As a weekly task? Aside from having a whole week to do them, if you don't do them they stack up and you can do them later. Also, there's a re-roll option to change quests.

I'm not worried at all about the cauldron quests appearing in the seasons questline, I'm only concerned with how (if?) they'll ask for it in events (where it could actually halt or delay progress that matters)
I am sorry I cannot remember which.

Katwick

Cartographer
A much cleaner analysis is available in
Cauldron Recipes

Recipe Costs
We'll eventually figure out the ratios formula.
  • 154% is the price increase for using a particular herb
  • 110% is the price increase for ALL OTHER HERBS (the ones that you didn't use)
The order in which ingredients are added doesn't seem to matter, SO LONG AS you use each of the desired herbs the same number of times.

The COST of the recipe is a different matter. To minimize your costs:
  • The 25 Diamond cost, of four ingredients per week, doesn't affect the cost of other Ingredients, so they can actually be entered at any time, but you'll make fewer errors if you add them first.
  • Then add ALL of the Ingredient with the LARGEST quantity. The 154% next price for the next ingredient is scary, but you'll at least know when you're close to running out of Witch Points
  • As you were adding the first batch of Ingredients, the Next Cost of each (not yet added) of the Other Ingredients was increasing by 110%.
  • Now enter all of each of the rest of the ingredients, working Most to Least
  • That's not cheap either, but you'll at least be doing all of the 110% increases BEFORE any of the 154% increases, which gets important really fast if upu're using a lot of different Ingredients
The 154% price increase, as compared to a 110% price increase, is HUGE!
  • Using each of the 12 herbs ONCE will cost you 573 Witch Points + 100 Diamonds
  • Using one herb TWELVE times will cost 13.8K Witch Points
The most economic approach is to focus on adding the mix of herbs (4444, 333, 22,1) for example) that you'll need for the desired Effects (and subsequently studying the related Diplomas to increase their benefit,) and then on burning any remaining Witch Points on the most useful of the other effects.

Although the fill-in Effects will have a much lower % Success than your main Effect, that's STILL better than nothing at all, but don't forget that unused Witch Points carryover to the Studying Phase, and those buffs will improve ALL of your future recipes that trigger that Effect.

Last edited:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
If partial payment works, I'll just brew one 50 cost
potion, and spend the remaining upgrading each week.
by next year it might be worth worry'n about.....
You could do that...

But, if you actually look at the study page and try blowing 1 full main hall worth of coins on it, you'll see how many WP you get.
(it's waaaaaaaaay more than the paltry leftovers after brewing, even if you only spend 50)
You'll find that getting 2-3 different boosts up to a very significant level costs almost nothing and will give you a nice boost going forward for free forever
Waiting a year for no reason makes no sense.

Katwick

Cartographer
A much cleaner analysis is available in
Cauldron Recipes.

Recipe Verification
The cross-totals are off by 1% so there's some roundoff error in the displayed data, but it's obvious that Coins, Settlement Goods and Basic Goods will dominate in any recipe, while the Barracks, Orcs, and Supplies will be the least frequent results.
If you use the program calculated summations, rather than the displayed values, the roundoff errors disappear.

A quick way to spot changes in the base data (because you've been studying potency) is very important.
  • Enter ONE of each ingredient
    • Note that ingredients have multiple effects, so you CANNOT improve just a single effect
    • Before you study anything, the potency of each ingredient is 20%, spread across two to four effects
    • Surprisingly, Orcs have the highest Success Rate, in our validation recipe) because while Ingredients #1-#7 will all contribute some success to Orcs, there are 7 weak 2.9 cells as competition, with 3 strong cells as competition
    • On the other hand, Precious Gems will have the lowest Success Rate because while Ingredients #1-#5 will contribute some success to Precious Gems, , there are only 3 weak 2.9 cells as competition, with 4 strong cells as competition
  • Note the Success Rate as you add each ingredient
  • You'll need to UNsort the overall Effect Chance, to align the calculated effect with it's table position
Screenshot_20230128_230041_Elvenar.jpg

TypeEffect#1#2#3#4#5#6#7#8#9#10#11#12TotalSuccess
C_10%Coins158.03.32.929.27.6
G_40%Precious126.72.92.924.56.9
M_04%Barracks105.72.92.921.57.6
M_10%Orcs8.65.72.92.920.19.2
S_10%Supplies8.65.72.95.020.17.6
G_40%Refined8.65.75.04.023.37.6
M_04%Training8.6104.03.325.97.6
G_04%Settlementnull126.76.71035.47.6
G_40%Basic5.01013.31038.37.6
TotalKatwick 2023A28202020202020202020202020null69.3
VerifyRunning Success20.028.334.640.044.749.052.356.660.063.266.369.3

Last edited:

Arkadia

I have a few chapters that I didn't complete. But I see that the only way to unlock more effects is to complete the researches.
Do we know if a particular effect is attached to a particular chapter? or do the effects unlock in order?
I'd think the lather.
Looking at the order of effects in the video, since I already have the Trader's Precious Plea, and the next 2 are the Morale Boosts, is it safe to assume that after completing any of the chapters in the tech tree, it will unlock the Monster Morale, and then next the Merc Morale?
( I'm otherwise done with ch20 just need to go back to complete the optional techs :(

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
My my my...Way more than my poor little brain can assimilate...
I would need a "see one-do one" demonstration in real time...
Wiki sometimes leaves me scratching my head :(
I feel the same way, EiLeNeva.

Is there a SIMPLE tutorial on the Cauldron for the people who only have 5 minutes (at the moment) to wrap their brains around it? I admit I haven't kept up and cannot. Just too busy lately. So what's a girl to do?

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
I have a few chapters that I didn't complete. But I see that the only way to unlock more effects is to complete the researches.
Do we know if a particular effect is attached to a particular chapter? or do the effects unlock in order?
I'd think the lather.
Looking at the order of effects in the video, since I already have the Trader's Precious Plea, and the next 2 are the Morale Boosts, is it safe to assume that after completing any of the chapters in the tech tree, it will unlock the Monster Morale, and then next the Merc Morale?
( I'm otherwise done with ch20 just need to go back to complete the optional techs :(
I parked at the beginning of chapter 18, so I'm going to have that %^$#$ research icon on the left side of my screen until the universe explodes. :mad:

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
No it won't matter if you have not yet reached this area. Just for those of us who've passed it, and were planning on holding it for a 'Research a Tech' quest, it will be VERY annoying.
So the hammer fell on the EN realms this morning. I hustled and got all of my cities up to Quest 31 in the event so that I could use the first Research a Tech quest effectively.
My lead cities are going to be waiting a long time to buy KPs for their sorceress, lol, perhaps until The Great Excavation, because I never 'Buy KPs' unless an event requires it.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
is there a specific amount of starting witch points you get per tech? I havnt moved in the tree for along time. So every week my use would be 1094/1023.. just a hair short. So i have to remove that last ingredient which takes me to 827/1023. I could add a random ingredient but id rather it be useful.

Edit; on my second city, adding the same ingredients in a different order and i got to 1056/1023 ... so close...

Last edited:

Silly Bubbles

You cant pop them all
Just over 3 minutes

I like it. It's not really that difficult to do a good job of it. It only gets difficult when we want to analyse and calculate everything to get a little bit better results. It's completely fine to just keep clicking on ingredients to see what they do to the effects we want and add the ones that improve the probability of getting them.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
So...my baby city finally unlocked the Cauldron and I guess I had been accumulating goblets this whole time from tourneys, even though I hadn't unlocked the tech yet. Well, uhhh, it used all 14 goblets at once. I would say this is a pretty silly game mechanic, considering you can't have multiple benefits active, or at least it asks you if you want to keep old or apply new.

Dominionofgod

Thinker of Ideas
I would say this is a pretty silly game mechanic, considering you can't have multiple benefits active, or at least it asks you if you want to keep old or apply new.
you can have multiple DIFFERENT effects active at once. But if you have a specific effect going, and then you get the same effect again (different strength and/or duration) then it will ask you if you want the old one or the new one.

Silver Lady

@crackie Unless Inno changes it having more than 5 goblets only happens the one time when you first unlock the Caldron. Otherwise it’s use them or loose them. I tested this in one of my cities, didn’t use the 5 I had but when the Sorceress came back I still just had 5.