• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The Challenge of Not Spending $$$

• Thread starter DeletedUser3352
  • Start date

Do you spend to get ahead?

• I dont spend a dime on free to play games

• I make one purchase to support development

• I spend occasionally, like when in game currency goes on sale

• I spend a nominal amount on a regular basis

• I spend like a maniac

• I cheat AND spend and hope the devs are greedy enough to let me get away with it

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeletedUser16555

Speaking of magic residences, one for each of the world's I dabble in magically appeared in the inventory of each one on, l believe Monday morning. I was starting to feel a little dubious about playing, but now I am totally stoked, and reenergized, ready to put the Elven back in the Nar.

DeletedUser3507

Since Orcs, I have had magic residences and workshops, It's worth it to me.. Huge space savers
And I wish they would have Magic Factories

DeletedUser16555

How cool would that be?, this was almost as good as getting my silver unicorn statue from the witch, or winning the two wishing wells from the Phoenix Cult. Boo Yah!

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
I look at not spending cash as a challenge, like to see how far and fast I reach a bottleneck by not spending.
Same here, I've bought "diamonds" in other F2P games to support devs, but lost interest almost immediately afterwards due to lack of challenge.
I've donated to www.elvenarchitect, I pay a monthly fee to host a website for my FS, and we're even looking at getting some T-shirts made for them.
It's just too bad that inno doesn't have any cosmetic purchases available, or diamond gift packs. I would absolutely pay to change the color of a building, or to make a level 23 magic dust factory look like a level 20. I'd also hold contests in my FS and give diamonds as a prize if they let me.

@inno Let me pay you!

Note: I know that in theory I could buy diamonds and just not use them, but in theory I could also not eat another slice of cake.....

Last edited:

DeletedUser2768

None of your options fit my situation. I don't usually spend money on free to play games. I HAVE spent about $5-$10 to purchase a third builder for two of my cities. Other than that, I putt along as fast as I feel like it.

DeletedUser2768

Speaking of magic residences, one for each of the world's I dabble in magically appeared in the inventory of each one on, l believe Monday morning. I was starting to feel a little dubious about playing, but now I am totally stoked, and reenergized, ready to put the Elven back in the Nar.

Everyone should have gotten one. It's the consolation prize for nerfing event buildings from 2016/2017

DeletedUser3507

None of your options fit my situation. I don't usually spend money on free to play games. I HAVE spent about $5-$10 to purchase a third builder for two of my cities. Other than that, I putt along as fast as I feel like it.
As Scooty would say, "Warp Speed" Captain...:p:D:p

Jixel

I have spent money here in the past, but I stopped when premium expansions shot up in price ... I laugh when they have a 10%-off sale on expansions, it'd have to be more like 80%-off for me to be interested.
($50 on one expansion here to squeeze a building or two more into my city ? Or $50 to buy a complete playable game elsewhere instead ?)

DeletedUser16555

I say, crack a cold one, kick the old one, and hammer down.

Chrizty

I buy if I get some OT on my paycheck, :) The way I see it in my household, If I can buy my kid a x box game then heck yea I can buy on my game lol,

TalimSwift

I'm not against spending for games, but frankly, nobody will convince me that spending in this one is remotely necessary. The "competition" factor is what drives people to spend. But in this game, there's no competition so to speak. Ok so you have bigger buildings than me, but you cant kill my city with them, so why would i care?

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
I'm not against spending for games, but frankly, nobody will convince me that spending in this one is remotely necessary. The "competition" factor is what drives people to spend. But in this game, there's no competition so to speak. Ok so you have bigger buildings than me, but you cant kill my city with them, so why would i care?
There's already too much competition in the game for a game with no competition. Tournaments, Rank, Fellowship adventures, and chests on Ancient Wonders all provide competition of various sorts.

DeletedUser18215

Interesting topic, I used to spend more freely on FTP browser based games, but circumstances changed and the disposable income just isn't the same. I would rather eat out than pay for :diamond: diamonds. I have spent when a charity is involved. I feel that is worth it. On the farming game I like, they partnered with a clean drinking water group for a specific area, don't remember the area. I got a giver that gives 10 water and XP every 12 hours, the other item you can get that gives water is only 5 and no XP. Just an example of what I feel is important. Since I don't need harvesters here, I don't spend on :diamond: diamonds.

DeletedUser3507

Some peoples kids, comes to mind.
I buy diamonds to support the game.
People who don't, what can I say...! ;)

TalimSwift

There are 2 types of games where people can spend money:
1- P2W: Pay to win. This is self explanatory. Sometimes these games are even stretched to a Pay-to-play format. Typically, to be on top of the food chain in this type of game, you will need LOTS of money, or, at least a good amount, and an insane number of hours online. Free players in this type of game are purposely meant to lose, unless the player has mad skills and lots of free time, and even then, competing to a high level is nearly impossible because game-changing items/gear (call them however you like) are only available to spenders. Games with PVP content tend to fall into this category, where your survival and advancement are greatly influenced by how advanced you are compared to other players.
2- Freemium: This game falls more into this category. Basically a Free-to-Play game, with minor advantages if you inject some funds. These advantages are not game-changers per say, all they do is make the player's game less complex and easier for him to advance to the end game.

All i'm saying is, without a true PVP aspect, the incentive to be "stronger" than others is not as present and will thus drive less people to spend money.

P.S. I left out the suscription-based games because these do not offer a choice to the player whether to inject some funds and how much. Most of these games, all players pay the same thing, so everyone's on equal footing in that sense.

DeletedUser16555

I am here for the challenge of not dropping a dime on the game and still being successful, I currently run a sub 900 Fellowship of fellow non spenders, and we seem to make our way just fine, now I am not saying that spending is a true evil, just don't want people to think that we are ungrateful for those who do spend, we who don't admire those who do. Can't we all just get along?