• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The Challenge of Not Spending $$$

• Thread starter DeletedUser3352
  • Start date

Do you spend to get ahead?

• I dont spend a dime on free to play games

• I make one purchase to support development

• I spend occasionally, like when in game currency goes on sale

• I spend a nominal amount on a regular basis

• I spend like a maniac

• I cheat AND spend and hope the devs are greedy enough to let me get away with it

Results are only viewable after voting.

DeletedUser5013

I know this isn't the typical way to play, but I just paid my 1st dollar to Elvenar about a month ago. I also finished lvl 12 about a month ago. So after finishing the last lvl available...I decided to pay $50 to the staff that created the game that I've spent 100's of hours playing. I have no way of knowing how much that breaks down to by the hour (pennies?), but I can only assume the staff at Inno likes to eat food and live in cozy homes...maybe even raise a family and/or go on vacations, pay for kid's college, etc. I've never had the attitude that paying = cheating like an unfortunate large number of players do. Go work for free somewhere and see how much that sucks! And no, I don't mean volunteer a few hours a week...I mean 40-80 hours a week 50 weeks a year (2 weeks UNPAID vacation) and see how appreciative you become when everyone calls you GREEDY!! (think small business owner just starting out!)

I'm not a bumkin that just fell off the truck. I understand that sometimes it seems like the devs do things in an effort for a cash grab. Seriously though...look at the poll at the beginning of this thread and you will see all the info you need to come to the conclusion that this game exists on the backs of a small percentage of players. If you enjoy the 10's or 100's of free hours of play, you should thank them and not chastise them. I don't include me in that group, because my $50 payment was small potatoes compared to the group I'm referencing. It was just a way of saying "thanks for making a cool game that I spent (and continue to spend) a lot of time playing for free".

Last edited by a moderator:

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
. I've never had the attitude that paying = cheating like an unfortunate large number of players do. Go work for free somewhere and see how much that sucks!
I think you may be unfairly linking those two.
I find buying diamonds in free games makes them far too easy. That is not the same as not wanting to support the developers.
If they introduce skins, diamond gifting or other ways of supporting the game that will not reduce the challenge fro me, I'll certainly spend.

DeletedUser5013

Fair enough. Like I said, I paid $ after I finished the last level. Will that help with future levels? Of course it will, but that's not the reason I did it. You have to admit that there are many players that look at spending one thin dime as cheating. It's unfortunate because the truth is the game only exists today (years after it's inception) because the devs have put out a product that is of a high enough quality that some players are willing to part with their cash without having to. There is a competitive component to be #1 for some people that drives them to spend, but that component wouldn't exist if the game was a train wreck.

DeletedUser12171

I qualify 'cheat' as someone who circumvents game mechanics and/or rules by means of exploits or external aids. using diamonds therefore do not qualify as cheats. I agree that without spending anything, the game is much more challenging, yet it is not a challenge I desire to contend with. I only spend on 4 things: premium expansions, MA/BH and Magic res/ws. My personal challenge is to make the most efficient city out of what I can afford, and my benchmark is, at the moment, tournament performance, because that is pretty much directly tied to the production of a city, and independent of rank/size

thread starter obviously has some personal beef against some other players, insinuating that there are people who cheat and get away with it by buying diamonds. whether this is true is a topic for another day and another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser5013

Something completely unrelated for Soggy...are you the originator of Elvenstats? I'm admittedly fairly new to the forums and I sort of derived that from some of the posts I've read. I'm sure I'm going to look ridiculous for asking that if the answer is either yes of no, but I have to ask.