• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The correct spelling of manufactUries

Vigali

My best friend was a practicing Registered Nurse for a decade before moving into the education sector. He started as an adjunct professor, moved up to full time faculty, and eventually became the Dean of Nursing for the university he worked at.

3 weeks ago, he was telling me a story about sports. He was trying to tell me that he's been playing baseball his whole life, and he said, "Yeah, I had a baseball glove on my hand straight out of the wound!"

I said... "Wound?"

He said... "Yeah, you know, it's a saying. Like you've been doing something since birth, straight out of the wound."

I said... "Um... do you mean 'womb'?"

He said... "No, I'm pretty sure it's wound, because you know, it uh... you know, it kind of looks like a wound down there."

I just didn't even have any words.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
but the OED is much more prestigious ( and correct) than Collins Dictionary
I fundamentally disagree with this.
Firstly, it's British English so you'll find plenty of differences with American English, neither of which are "more correct" (note: I'm a Canuck so I end up using both)

Secondly, the beauty of language is that it's ever-changing and evolving. It isn't like math where the answer is always the same, so you'll get things like wicked which no longer means evil most of the time, or gay which isn't used for "happy" much anymore. OED is often one of the slowest to add changes based on common usage.

Then there are newer words that OED still hasn't added like "Yeet" which has been around for a while in common usage and can be found in collins as well as Urban dictionary, but not OED, so how can the one that doesn't even have an entry for a word be "correct"?

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
Wait, what's wrong with doable? Dictionary dot com doesn't call it slang. It's a regular word.

As far as pet peeves go, mine is, "He needs to loose weight" or, "Did you loose something?"

oh and one other ... "So many mother's choose Jif."

Gath Of Baal

British English has been around a lot longer then American English, so if they want to pronounce Tomato, Potato, Airplane and spell words like Gray the wrong way, so be it :p I will just keep my laughter on the inside ;)

Thank You spell check and auto correct for not making my posts seem like I'm writing in a new made up language

Iyapo1

...as in "in all actuallity"
makes a wreck of actual and reality....
I end up (in privacy) banging my head against the door every now and then...chuckles!

actuality noun

ac·tu·al·i·ty | \ ˌak-chə-ˈwa-lə-tē , ˌak-shə-\

plural actualities

Definition of actuality

1: the quality or state of being actual

2: something that is actual : FACT, REALITYpossible risks which have been seized upon as actualities— T. S. Eliot

in actuality

: in actual fact

So, in actuality...