• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The Lottery

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Edited to reflect Yogi Dave's great idea.

Everyone likes a lottery. In fact, it's one of the best ways to drag people into whatever you wish to drag them into. "Door prizes" are the usual method, and the bigger the door prize the bigger attendance. Think about it, if your local school board raffled off a door prize of a new car each meeting, how many would attend?

So here's my idea. Use the lottery with one or more aspects of the game. Let's take, for instance, visitation. Right now there are three chests of whatever value... nobody is going bonkers over the three chests, but they are nice to get anyway. Why not have a bonus chest every X number of visitation chests that have been opened on that server? In other words, if there are, say 100,000 chests opened in a day. Randomize that and pick a number, say 42,112. That visit would win the "Daily Visitor Prize" of something stupendous, like a Rainbow Flower Cage! Okay, not THAT, but maybe 500 diamonds? Or one of those 2x2 buildings that gave out great pop/culture -- I won one in a forum contest once but can't remember their name.

Now I would not advertise this but let it slowly seep in. Nobody would know how often it was given, or to what visitor (obviously), but as it became a thing people would be surprised, then excited. They would tell their fellowships, the friends, maybe their neighbors, and definitely, their significant other. Or others, perhaps?

Pros:
1) Excitement and rewards that would really start a buzz if done right
2) Little coding needed. After all, it's just creating a random number, counting, notifying and awarding the prize. Little artwork would be needed.
3) Increased participation in visiting, or whichever aspect of the game they focus the lottery on.

Cons:
1) Coding? I think not much, but maybe I'm wrong?
2) Cost if diamonds. Everything else is pretty much free, but if you are giving out diamonds those are diamonds that don't need to be bought.

Like I said, the use of visitation is an example of what could be done along these general lines. How often, what is being offered, and which aspect of the game would benefit most from this approach, can be best addressed, I think, by those who have the data and are setting participation goals.

Comments/question/agreements/even disagreements, are all welcome.

AJ

Last edited:

Sodbury

You might consider some additional flourish when receiving a special prize. As things are, I expect many players would just click through it without noticing. Elvenar is, in general, good fun. But clicking through 12 pages of neighborly visits is distilled tedium. The brain disengages for the duration.

Yogi Dave

• If it's attached to the number of visits, it gives those who have a lot of neighbors an advantage. I could visit 450 a day which could be 10 or more times more than some other players could. Of course, my mouse click finger would yell at me.
  • Attached to chests given during visits reduces most people to 3 a day. Those with the Scouts Tavern AW get an extra 4 when it's upgraded to level 31. So, not really a problem.
  • Possible algorithm: Choose a random number between a range to be determined, such as between 1000 and 10000. When that number of chests have been opened, that one gives the bonus. The count is set to zero, and a new random number is chosen for giving the next bonus. Repeat.
  • Attaching it to other aspects of the game might be problematic since most aspects relate to the type of city development a player has chosen. Whereas, just doing enough visits to get the 3 chests is barely game play dependent. People who don't do enough visits each day would be disadvantaged, but I don't think that is significant enough to be a problem.

Count Rupert

Interesting idea though I can't say I'm too keen about something that worsens the disadvantage I'm already under for being on the edge of the map. Visiting goldmines apparently are not considered neighborly visits as they do not trigger chests.

Myne

Oh Wise One
I'm thinking the "odds" are against this addition. Think about those newer players that we sometimes struggle to keep. They are at a distinct disadvantage there.

Darielle

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, and Buddy Fan Club Member
The idea is a good one in concept, but the details would be the devil to equalize.

defiantoneks

while i like the idea of getting a little "bonus" prize, I agree with the others about the odds of smaller cities getting one. perhaps it could be a personal achievement milestone? say that YOU visited your 100,000th neighbor? boom, smallish prize. and so forth, at maybe 500,000 and 1 million. it should not be something that can be replicated (like your city getting 1,000,000 points, because someone will deliberately remove and add something to go under/over/under/over and get the prize repeatedly).

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
I do think @Yogi Dave's idea of tying it not to the number of visits, but to the number of chests opened does solve a lot of the problems. Within days of arriving a player can open three chests. After that, since all players have an equal chance if they just visit a few other players, small players are brought to equal par. Nice work, Yogi Dave.

As for other aspects of the game, I agree that it would be difficult to "keep out" some players. But then again, not everybody gets bonuses for being in the top of the tournament. There it's the large players who generally finish in the top 100. The problem is if you base anything on performance the more experienced players will find a way to win more often. Part of the game is to become experienced.

In addition, I'm not sure how discouraging it would be to the new players since they rarely know enough to know what they are missing! LOL! And of course, since, in my opinion, who won shouldn't be advertised, it will take a long, long time for many to realize they are even in the game! What fun to suddenly realize you won something nice when you didn't even know you were in the contest! And how addicting that can be, is pretty obvious in just watching human behavior.

So, I'll amend the proposal to reflect Yogi Dave's suggestion.

AJ