• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The prisons

DeletedUser895

Something I don't understand about the Elvenar game, amongst the humans' buildings, is the prison. Apparently it's for boosting population, but it also counts as a Culture building? I don't get how that works, because to me, Culture is something that betters a society, and I don't view prisons as bettering a society, I view prisons as a sign that a society is rotten and vile. I dislike the prisons enough I refuse to polish them in the game. I hope the Elf version of a population booster isn't a prison!

DeletedUser68

Let me first, ruefully, agree with your point of view. Unfortunately, humans have a bloody, bloody history; look up the Tower of London for example. It would not be possible to recognizably portray "Humans" without acknowledging those elements.

Elves, on the other hand, are mythical and are perhaps more the way we wish we were.

To your point, however. the Prison of the Condemned IS NOT a population building, and the associated text indicates that it's for "burglars and traitors." Perhaps we can simply gulp, and assume that they were condemned with due process? The population + culture premium building are the
  • Hallowed Shrine
  • Fountain of Youth
If you want to dig into the details a bit further, our Wiki has a wealth of additional information.
See https://en.wiki.elvenar.com/index.php?title=Culture#Cultural_Buildings_Humans

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser895

That's odd, because I know I saw a thread here weeks ago that explained that the Prison of the Condemned was a population booster building.

"It would not be possible to recognizably portray "Humans" without acknowledging those elements." I disagree. There are plenty of human cultures that never had prisons.

"Elves, on the other hand, are mythical and are perhaps more the way we wish we were." That could explain why my initial reaction to being given a choice between humans and elves was "Why would anyone ever choose to be a human???"