• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The 'rona & boredom

Alpha Lyrae

Sooooooo....I've done well in isolation as I'm a hermit/homebody anyway, but I think the lack of interaction is finally getting to me. I'm going a little stir crazy. What's going on in your world? How are you and yours doing? What are you doing to stay entertained? I was so bored the other day I broke out the adult coloring books (pictured below for your amusement). lol

Coloring.jpg

Also.... look at this cute face! Lemme see pics of your pets! :D

Cuuuute.jpg

DeletedUser20396

Life has been even busier for me. I read, watch movies, play games for entertainment, but really not much has changed. Here is a scraggly picture of Cappy.

Attachments

• 20190404_152211.jpg
    20190404_152211.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 85

DeletedUser25004

Im taking the isolation at my parents house and so is my sister. we both study and that we can do from here now. so it helps that we are atleast 4 people to entertain eachother. But its still a challenge, last tuesday my sister asked me to make a training camp for us, and that is very out of caracter for her haha, so it speaks volumes of the boredom. now we treat it like study/workout bootcamp for as long as we can keep going!

Edit: Oh and i dont have a pet, wish i did these days.

The Unbeliever

When you're a Warhammer 40k player, you're already very likely an introvert who spends far too much time closeted up in a corner, working away on little plastic army men during 'normal' times...
...so lockdown for me is simply an excuse to stayed locked away in my room, building & painting my "plastic crak" as we call it, and (vainly) trying to get through my pile of plastic shame. :p
(ie: I have far too much, but will still end up buying more Space Marines of course!lol)

Currently I'm working on a combination of Space Wolves & Death Guard.
(re: viking werewolf space marines & 'uber diseased plague-infested marines)

Jiali

Adult coloring books! :D I had no idea they even existed

My wife's parents are here from China until June and they love to cook so, when we're not eating way too much food... I try to burn off the extra calories outside gardening. The girls give livingroom yoga their best shot (funny to watch, actually) It's really not working though. I've gained like 15 pounds AND the gyms are all closed around here. It's terrible! The forum and Elvenar are a welcome distraction.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Before the "Lock-down" I left my abode twice a week to have lunch with friends, once a week for church, and once week to buy groceries and other errands. Now I leave 3 times a week for my friends (to whom I deliver lunch since they are older than me and don't dare go out), get groceries once a week and no church services. So, overall, about the same.

I spend my time writing, which is what I was doing before all this. I stopped at a small grocery store the other day and was refused entrance because I wasn't wearing a mask. Mine have been on order since the 4th of April. Sigh. And, of course, grocery shopping is a long line of 6' spaces going around the store so you don't move very fast.

That's it for me.

AJ

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I have one of those low paying jobs that suddenly became "essential", but without an increase in pay to go with it, so I kept on working for most of this mess, until I finally decided the people I interacted with were just being stupid about lack of caution, so I took a few weeks off til things calm down some in May. If it were not for the money from the government, I would not even be doing that, because without that $1200, I would have to keep working to pay my bills.

But after taking off from work for only a little over a week so far, I am starting to lose track of what day it is, even though I make a point of getting out of the house once a day, even if just to drive a bit when I do not have to go to the store or help my elderly mother. I also did not realize how little I actually do when I am not working or sleeping. lol

The Unbeliever

I have one of those low paying jobs that suddenly became "essential", but without an increase in pay to go with it, so I kept on working for most of this mess, until I finally decided the people I interacted with were just being stupid about lack of caution, so I took a few weeks off til things calm down some in May. If it were not for the money from the government, I would not even be doing that, because without that $1200, I would have to keep working to pay my bills.

But after taking off from work for only a little over a week so far, I am starting to lose track of what day it is, even though I make a point of getting out of the house once a day, even if just to drive a bit when I do not have to go to the store or help my elderly mother. I also did not realize how little I actually do when I am not working or sleeping. lol
Here in Ontarioland, our health officials are saying that we might finally be seeing the peak of the community spread, and they're hopeful that by next week we'll start to see a drop in the daily infections...
meanwhile our hospitals haven't seen the massive surge in cases, (both serious + critical care), they were initially fearing & planning for, so that's another tiny positive.

On the other hand, our long term care/nursing home facilities are at this point, apocalyptically bad, and at least 50% of the deaths in our province have been from these facilities.
Of course, we pay the personal support & personal care workers at these places less than nothing, while understaffing them & thus forcing not only longer working hours, but also the brilliant move of basically forcing the (very few) trained staff to have to work between 2-3+ different facilities... combine that with limited to no PPE's, waiting until well after the fact to lock down the facilities, etc, etc..., and well, the virus has been burning through our most vulnerable populations at a horrifying rate.
Some nursing homes for example have had 80-90% or higher infection rates, (both residents AND staff), with upwards of 25-30% or more of the total residents passing away from the virus.

If there's any huge change that needs to come out of this, it's how we manage & support our care homes.

Alpha Lyrae

I don't blame you for staying home and I'm glad you're able to. Thankfully, the government came through with a bit of help. My office remains in "open" and operating, though we have trimmed our office hours and most, including me, can work from home as much as we're able. It's a decent compromise while still being able to maintain full time work, which I'm immensely grateful for.

LilWolf De Lioncourt

I also do those coloring books too*lol* I like doing alot of the animal colorings. I'm also on a free kareoke recording site and I record alot of songs on line:cool: I play in this game and I also play Diablo 3 reaper of souls. I do however deal with alot of Severe neoropathy with perminent nerve damage and numbness in my right foot and leg. The pain becomes so aggressive that I can't concentrate on anything anymore:( I can't even sleep at night anymore either.

Daiman Rahl

Here in Ontarioland, our health officials are saying that we might finally be seeing the peak of the community spread, and they're hopeful that by next week we'll start to see a drop in the daily infections...
meanwhile our hospitals haven't seen the massive surge in cases, (both serious + critical care), they were initially fearing & planning for, so that's another tiny positive.

On the other hand, our long term care/nursing home facilities are at this point, apocalyptically bad, and at least 50% of the deaths in our province have been from these facilities.
Of course, we pay the personal support & personal care workers at these places less than nothing, while understaffing them & thus forcing not only longer working hours, but also the brilliant move of basically forcing the (very few) trained staff to have to work between 2-3+ different facilities... combine that with limited to no PPE's, waiting until well after the fact to lock down the facilities, etc, etc..., and well, the virus has been burning through our most vulnerable populations at a horrifying rate.
Some nursing homes for example have had 80-90% or higher infection rates, (both residents AND staff), with upwards of 25-30% or more of the total residents passing away from the virus.

If there's any huge change that needs to come out of this, it's how we manage & support our care homes.
Holy Crap someone else from Ontario; not just Canada LOL
My Sister in Law is one of those Under- Paid over worked PSW's and see refused to work at more then one center, so is down on Income, but trying to stay safe as well.

Alpha Lyrae

I have one of those low paying jobs that suddenly became "essential", but without an increase in pay to go with it

Wouldn't it be nice if, after this all passes, the masses remember just how essential those jobs were in our time of need and changed wage laws to reflect it?

Alpha Lyrae

I also do those coloring books too*lol* I like doing alot of the animal colorings. I'm also on a free kareoke recording site and I record alot of songs on line:cool: I play in this game and I also play Diablo 3 reaper of souls. I do however deal with alot of Severe neoropathy with perminent nerve damage and numbness in my right foot and leg. The pain becomes so aggressive that I can't concentrate on anything anymore:( I can't even sleep at night anymore either.

The coloring is so much fun! lol :)

Sorry to hear that you're in pain. :-/ I hope you can find some relief.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Wouldn't it be nice if, after this all passes, the masses remember just how essential those jobs were in our time of need and changed wage laws to reflect it?

Before this mess started, Virginia had actually passed a new state minimum wage law that was to go into effect on Jan 1st, 2021, but that may be delayed til May because of the pandemic. So sometime next year, the state will jump from the federal minimum of $7.25 to a new state minimum of $9.00, and then I think increase another dollar per hour in 2022 and again in 2023. It seems so far away, but a minimum wage of $11.00 an hour will be huge in large parts of this state.

Alpha Lyrae

Before this mess started, Virginia had actually passed a new state minimum wage law that was to go into effect on Jan 1st, 2021, but that may be delayed til May because of the pandemic. So sometime next year, the state will jump from the federal minimum of $7.25 to a new state minimum of $9.00, and then I think increase another dollar per hour in 2022 and again in 2023. It seems so far away, but a minimum wage of $11.00 an hour will be huge in large parts of this state.

Progress, that's for sure.

Laochra

As a surgical tech in NC & working in dermatology, I am thankful that I am no longer in the hospitals, working in the ORs. We have only been working a few days doing skin cancer surgeries. They are hoping to open back up full time in early May. Hubby & I have always been homebodies/hermits, so the restrictions really don't bother us. Actually makes me look forward to retirement, when I won't have to leave the house, unless I want to. :cool: I guess it helps that we are renovating an investment property, so that keeps us busy.

Chrizty

I am staying home as well. also a crafty hermit by nature so Im not going crazy ;-) My 2 oldest kids are still working, scares me, So I made them mask's and now making everyone masks. its keeping me busy doing something I like to do anyhow. before masks I got some home made Christmas gifts done. I had these little plain wooded boxes. I printed off small family pictures and Mod Podge them on the box, then painted a frame around the picture then painted the rest of the box. beaded up some necklaces and bracelets to put inside... I have some unfinished quilts that need done but all other projects are on hold right now,

If you get board here's an idea, Check your local homeless shelter, Our local City Mission is doing a pick up for old furniture picture frames, stuff like that, you can give them a make over then drop back off for them to sell when they re open, helps the homeless.
just had an idea with the adult coloring books. would be cool to transfer one on an end table or coffee table.. or even a background in a bookshelf, or a tinker box. lol the ideas are endless, I printed off small coloring dragon pics and made bookmarks with them,,,

shimmerfly

DSC00770.JPG
This is my rescued girl. She is almost 11 now which makes her a geriatric Dane!
She always keeps me occupied when I'm not caring for my Husband. He is a disabled Vet so I stay busy doing all the stuff he used to be able to do too. Not much has changed for us either. Home bodies here!