• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The 'rona & boredom

The Unbeliever

If there's one big positive to come out of this, at the very least this pandemic proves how beyond useless the WHO really is...
(not that most governments have much better. :p)

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Progress, that's for sure.

Yes, indeed. I have friends there who are making about $2 and $4 dollars above minimum wage. They will be glad that since they are worth (to the employer) the $2 and $4 dollar extra they are paid, that they, too, will receive a raise. And, of course, that means anybody now making $6 over minimum wage will continue to believe they are worth $6 dollars more than minimum wage so they can look forward to a nice raise as well. Cool progress right up the wage scale. And all because everybody is paid according to what they are willing to work for and what the market thinks they're worth. So if I was worth $4 over minimum wage before before they raised the minimum wage I am certainly worth $4 over minimum wage after they raise the minimum wage, right?!

All of which means the cost of labor will go up whatever percentage $9 is of $7.25 and the manufacturer where the wages have gone up will need do one or more of the following: forgo profits (and thus lose capital as those who have invested in his/her company take their money to put into companies making a profit); raise the price of their products (and lose market share and thus the need for so many workers); put more burden on workers (work harder to raise productivity), automate more jobs (again, to raise productivity per worker -- and thus lay some workers off); or move away (with the cost of moving) or go broke. Progress indeed.

AJ