• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

"The Test" Fight & Win An Encounter

I'm on the Quest "The Test" where I'm told to Fight & win an Encounter. My squadsize can't beat the enemy squadsize!

But I keep reading you CAN beat a bigger squadsize. But how??? I read the Elvenar Forums but it's all Greek to me!

Can someone explain in a simple way how it's possible to beat a larger squadsize?

Iyapo1

@Frost Knight
Depends on how outnumbered you are and by what troop types. You would get exactly the info you need if you post a few screenshots of your options. There are plenty of fighters on the forum who can tell how to get it done, if it can be done. Screenshots would convey the most info. Also, what chapter are you in?

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Can someone explain in a simple way how it's possible to beat a larger squadsize?
I'll try. If you'd like to post up details about specific fights, I'm sure you'd get plenty of suggestions as to what combo of troops could win a specific fight, but it seems like you're looking for more general info, so here goes:

Troops have special buffs against other troop types. It's important to understand the Battle Pentagon:
Wiki: Combat Pentagon
As an example: Cerebus is buffed against mages.
Wiki Cerebus Overview
You'll see that cerebus has a +60% attack bonus (they hit mages 60% harder) and a -30% defense bonus (they suffer 30% less damage from mages). That means that even if the mages have much larger squad sizes, the cerebus can still wipe them out. If there are 5 enemy mages, sending in 5 cerebus will win the fight (absent any horrible terrain issues on the battlefield, but that's a different topic).
Of course, it's more complicated than that; rarely do you face only one type of enemy in battle. But all your troops are buffed against some of the other troop types. There's usually a combination that will work to win the fight.

If you have access to browser play, for some practice, go to:
Elven Architect Battle Simulator
That site is not optimized for mobile apps unfortunately. Also, the simulator does not take any terrain (obstacles on battlefield) into consideration, but it will help you wrap your brain around how this all fits together.

@Frost Knight
Depends on how outnumbered you are and by what troop types. You would get exactly the info you need if you post a few screenshots of your options. There are plenty of fighters on the forum who can tell how to get it done, if it can be done. Screenshots would convey the most info. Also, what chapter are you in?

Does this help? I'm in Chapter III. You can see who I have to fight with, plus Cerebus level I.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210912-075708.png
    Screenshot_20210912-075708.png
    403.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20210912-075601.png
    Screenshot_20210912-075601.png
    412.5 KB · Views: 84
I'll try. If you'd like to post up details about specific fights, I'm sure you'd get plenty of suggestions as to what combo of troops could win a specific fight, but it seems like you're looking for more general info, so here goes:

Troops have special buffs against other troop types. It's important to understand the Battle Pentagon:
Wiki: Combat Pentagon
As an example: Cerebus is buffed against mages.
Wiki Cerebus Overview
You'll see that cerebus has a +60% attack bonus (they hit mages 60% harder) and a -30% defense bonus (they suffer 30% less damage from mages). That means that even if the mages have much larger squad sizes, the cerebus can still wipe them out. If there are 5 enemy mages, sending in 5 cerebus will win the fight (absent any horrible terrain issues on the battlefield, but that's a different topic).
Of course, it's more complicated than that; rarely do you face only one type of enemy in battle. But all your troops are buffed against some of the other troop types. There's usually a combination that will work to win the fight.

If you have access to browser play, for some practice, go to:
Elven Architect Battle Simulator
That site is not optimized for mobile apps unfortunately. Also, the simulator does not take any terrain (obstacles on battlefield) into consideration, but it will help you wrap your brain around how this all fits together.

Yeah I kind of understand about Cerebus' buffer. I have a hard time keeping Military tactics in my head, lol Not sure what Browser Play is though.

Iyapo1

@Frost Knight I am not a fighter. I cater everything in the game. I cant really offer much.

Options... I would say look at your tech tree you might want to sit on that fight until you get your squad size upgrades, there are 3 squad size upgrades in chapter 3. Which will let you bring more guys into the fight.

Another option is to upgrade you manufactories and negotiate the encounter. When your provinces start saying hard/very hard it is sometimes easier to pay them off in the early chapters. As you advance and get better and better troops + military boost buildings + ancient wonders it gets easier to win fights but for the moment you are very much punching up :)

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Another option is to upgrade you manufactories and negotiate the encounter.
That won't complete the quest; it requires 'fight and win' an encounter.
@Frost Knight
From your pics, you appear to play on the mobile app. Browser play is playing the game on a computer instead. Fighting on the app (especially learning it) is tough. Browser allows you to fight manually instead of only auto fight (that's available, too, on browser, and skips going to the battlefield just like mobile) where you can actually see what the battlefield looks like and you can control your own troop movements/strikes. Also, you can choose to go to the battlefield, hit 'finish automatically' and watch the fight (I learned a lot this way!). This game was browser only for years before they developed a mobile app. ElvenArchitect has been around for years as well, but only works well on browser, it is not mobile-friendly.
Here's a link to a thread about a beginner's perspective on auto-fight that has loads of pics (scroll down) of what the fights look like on browser:
AutoFight from Beginner's Perspective
That said, in your current situation, I'd pick the 2nd battle (with Thief, Bandit, DroneRiders and Orc General), train up a few more Treants, and go in with 2 Golems/3 Treants. Unless there's horrible terrain issues, that should win the battle. Expect to take losses, and I'd expect those losses to be primarily Golems.
Another note: Each enemy is weaker in the 2nd battle because the squad size is spread over 6 troops instead of 5. You'll see some fights with only one enemy unit and the enemy squad size is huge. I've seen those battles won with few losses: 5 Archers v 1 Orc General or 5 Golems v 1 Bandit. That Archers v Orc General battle can be a zero loss battle if the terrain is favorable to your Archers.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
@Frost Knight If you wanted to fight the first encounter, I would go with 5 squads of light ranged. The enemy force is 2 units of Light Range, 1 unit of Mages, and 2 units of Heavy Melee. Your LR squads are going to have an advantage against the enemy Mage and HM units. And will be even against the enemy LR squads. You will probably win. The only reason I have any doubt is that your squad size is 90 but the enemy squad size is 172. So those 2 squads of enemy light range are equal to nearly 4 squads of your light range.

There are 2 early game ancient wonders which could make a huge difference here. The first is Martial Monastery. This AW gives all of your troops a permanent toughness bonus. It also gives you a good bit of culture. The 2nd is Needles of Tempest. This AW gives every light range unit you have a permanent damage bonus. It will also speed up how fast your barracks trains troops. If you 1 of these AWs I would upgrade your chances from "probably win" to "very likely." If you have them both I would say this would be a slam dunk win. If you plan to pursue a fighting oriented strategy in this game, I would say these 2 ancient wonders are 2 of the most important ones to build and upgrade.

Silver Lady

Is there a ‘Cancel’ button on the quest? If you just want to get past that quest you could just cancel it. I will cancel quests where the rewards aren’t worth the effort TO ME. It’s a judgement call and only you can determine if it’s’right’ for you.

Henroo

Oh Wise One
Is there a ‘Cancel’ button on the quest? If you just want to get past that quest you could just cancel it. I will cancel quests where the rewards aren’t worth the effort TO ME. It’s a judgement call and only you can determine if it’s’right’ for you.
Normally you can't cancel chapter based quests until you have advanced into the next chapter. And honestly unless a player is pursuing a totally 100% cater based strategy from the get-go, I would not cancel this quest. It is very doable.

@Frost Knight I am not a fighter. I cater everything in the game. I cant really offer much.

Options... I would say look at your tech tree you might want to sit on that fight until you get your squad size upgrades, there are 3 squad size upgrades in chapter 3. Which will let you bring more guys into the fight.

Another option is to upgrade you manufactories and negotiate the encounter. When your provinces start saying hard/very hard it is sometimes easier to pay them off in the early chapters. As you advance and get better and better troops + military boost buildings + ancient wonders it gets easier to win fights but for the moment you are very much punching up :)

Can't Negotiate. "The Test" says I have to win an Encounter.

As far as my Research Tree, I'm workings my way through it, I am in Chapter III and have gone through at least one squadsize upgrade.

That won't complete the quest; it requires 'fight and win' an encounter.
@Frost Knight
From your pics, you appear to play on the mobile app. Browser play is playing the game on a computer instead. Fighting on the app (especially learning it) is tough. Browser allows you to fight manually instead of only auto fight (that's available, too, on browser, and skips going to the battlefield just like mobile) where you can actually see what the battlefield looks like and you can control your own troop movements/strikes. Also, you can choose to go to the battlefield, hit 'finish automatically' and watch the fight (I learned a lot this way!). This game was browser only for years before they developed a mobile app. ElvenArchitect has been around for years as well, but only works well on browser, it is not mobile-friendly.
Here's a link to a thread about a beginner's perspective on auto-fight that has loads of pics (scroll down) of what the fights look like on browser:
AutoFight from Beginner's Perspective
That said, in your current situation, I'd pick the 2nd battle (with Thief, Bandit, DroneRiders and Orc General), train up a few more Treants, and go in with 2 Golems/3 Treants. Unless there's horrible terrain issues, that should win the battle. Expect to take losses, and I'd expect those losses to be primarily Golems.
Another note: Each enemy is weaker in the 2nd battle because the squad size is spread over 6 troops instead of 5. You'll see some fights with only one enemy unit and the enemy squad size is huge. I've seen those battles won with few losses: 5 Archers v 1 Orc General or 5 Golems v 1 Bandit. That Archers v Orc General battle can be a zero loss battle if the terrain is favorable to your Archers.

Forge Of Empires let's me
@Frost Knight If you wanted to fight the first encounter, I would go with 5 squads of light ranged. The enemy force is 2 units of Light Range, 1 unit of Mages, and 2 units of Heavy Melee. Your LR squads are going to have an advantage against the enemy Mage and HM units. And will be even against the enemy LR squads. You will probably win. The only reason I have any doubt is that your squad size is 90 but the enemy squad size is 172. So those 2 squads of enemy light range are equal to nearly 4 squads of your light range.

There are 2 early game ancient wonders which could make a huge difference here. The first is Martial Monastery. This AW gives all of your troops a permanent toughness bonus. It also gives you a good bit of culture. The 2nd is Needles of Tempest. This AW gives every light range unit you have a permanent damage bonus. It will also speed up how fast your barracks trains troops. If you 1 of these AWs I would upgrade your chances from "probably win" to "very likely." If you have them both I would say this would be a slam dunk win. If you plan to pursue a fighting oriented strategy in this game, I would say these 2 ancient wonders are 2 of the most important ones to build and upgrade.

I haven't gotten to those Ancient Wonders in the Research Tree yet.

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Overall here's the problem. You have 90 squads to their 150 (second scenario). You have to get them to at least even. That means you look a the number for each of your squads and determine what that type would be against your enemies. In this case, since Golem are good against light melee and light ranged, they would be your primary choice. That they are a ranged attack against a melee that has to cross the terrain to get to you first, gives you an advantage. And, since the lone golem they are sending is even with your golem, things will be closer to balanced. BUT, if the terrain is such that they can cross quickly their larger squad size might be too much.

There are two options here to insure you win. Since you can only get to about even by using 5 Golem, you can either increase the protection of your troops, as SoggyShorts said, by crafting and using an UnleasedUnitsUpgrade (UUU) and probably win with some losses, or you can use the Light Ranged units you have and craft and use an Elightened Light Range (ELR). to increase their fire power and probably suffer even fewer losses, especially, as SoggyShorts noted, if you use a UUU with it.

Finally, even without the special military buildings it's possible to win but probably not with autofighting. If the terrain is good for ranged 5 golem should do the trick in a manual fight.

AJ

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Just to make sure incorrect info is not being given:
Since the OP is in Ch3 and only has 1* troops, stats from the Wiki (on a per unit, not per squad basis) are given are for 1* units.
2nd battle (with Thief, Bandit, DroneRiders and Orc General)
The 2nd battle does not include an enemy Golem (there are no enemy Golems in the game). It does include a lone Orc General, a Heavy Melee unit with +20% attack bonus and a -20% defense bonus against Heavy Range (Golem). The short movement and attack range of the Orc General is an advantage for the Golem.
The Treant has a much higher attack range (148-200) than the Golem (97-179).
The Treant has a much higher defense (540) than the Golem (380).
The Treant has a 10% defense bonus against light melee (it does not have an attack bonus against LM) and is neutral to the Orc General (they're the same type unit-Heavy Melee).
While auto-fight is better when you use 5 of the same troops, it can handle a 3/2 split if needed. The Golems (with their range, and a 70% attack bonus against LM) will handle the Bandit, Thief and DroneRiders. The 2 Treants will handle the lone Orc General. Yes, there will be some overlap.
Autofight will have the enemy units target the Golems first due to their range/initiative. The only time a Treant will take enemy fire is in the unusual situation of there being no Golems in range of an enemy unit when a Treant is in range of that enemy unit. With the range of all the other units on the battlefield, by the time that happens (if it does), the Treant will take a minor hit from a damaged enemy LM unit. The Golems will target the Bandit (again, due to range/initiative) first. That is the only enemy unit that could do any real damage to the Treant. As the Treants and Orc General lumber towards each other, it is unlikely the Treants will be significantly injured by the time they reach the Orc General. The Golems will have taken on damage, but they will still attack the Orc General when other units are gone, putting them within range of a counterattack on the Orc General's next turn. Fortunately, by that time the Treants should be there and while he may hit one Golem after the Golems attack and before the Treant gets a turn, it's still very likely they'll take him out quickly.
Squad Size: The presence of 6 enemy units instead of 5 means the total squad size of 150 is actually a squad size of 125 (each enemy stack is 125, not 150), effectively bringing it closer to the OP's squad size of 90, albeit with one less stack of troops than the enemy.
@SoggyShorts scenario was for the 1st battle. Using 5 Light Range units in the 2nd battle would guarantee a loss (even with a UUU and ELR) imo. The Thief and DroneRiders have attack bonuses (+30% and +70% respectively) and the Drone Riders have a defense bonus (-30%) against LR units. To strike those units, your LR will be in range of a counterattack on the next turn of the enemy LM. Absent very favorable (to the player) terrain, I think that would be a bloodbath.

Myne

Oh Wise One
I am unable to see your city, so I know you are not in Harandar, but how many armories do you have? I suggest 3 and upgrade them to the max available.