• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

The Other "Why I'm better than everyone else" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
" apparently "

I'm not sure but it would appear that saying I am "in agreement with the management and creditors of a bankrupt company that ensuring the creditors get their money back is morally superior to providing severance/notice to hourly employees because that is how the law is set up" is telling people what you think I think, right?
I actually very carefully and specifically included the word "apparently" because it didn't want to imply that I knew what you were thinking.

Please stop tagging me. I read every post in every thread to which I have replied, and almost every other thread, whether I respond or not. There is zero chance of me not noticing you talking about me. If I don't respond to you, it's not because I haven't seen your post, it's because I don't want to engage with your ideas.
Well, I apologize a lot because it's important, I think, to be as honest as one can and to fess up to one's mistakes, be they large or small. I may or may not have a hard time expressing what you think because maybe, what you think isn't always as clearly presented as you think.
If, as I asked previously, you would stop trying to sum up my words, you wouldn't have to apologize for misinterpreting them.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
It's entirely possible that I am a poor communicator, but I have never had anyone else with as much trouble interpreting my writing as you display.
This is not to say SEARS should not have provided it, but it is to say that the employees did not include it in the contract for their services and probably didn't even think of it.
The law in our jurisdiction requires the employer to provide a minimum amount of notice or severance when terminating employment. The law also provides that companies going through bankruptcy can ignore that law. The law also allows the company to get away with not paying out the 30% deficit in the employee's negotiated pension plan when they are going through bankruptcy. The thing they negotiated and the thing that was promised them under the law, are both being taken away by the bankruptcy laws.

I was clearly addressing the fallacious notion that absolute adherence to law is somehow a basis for claiming moral superiority. Many of our laws are based on morals, many are based on preserving the assets of the people with the greatest amount of power in the country. The commonly misused phrase that possession is nine-tenths of the law refers to the fact that the vast majority of our codes are about preserving wealth for those who already have it and how to decide who something belongs to when there is conflict.

Trying to blame the employees for not having negotiated something that was already provided for in law is quintessential victim blaming and does not incline me to think any better of your stand regarding law and morals.

Last edited:

shimmerfly

people who can even take a "hey you two please stop this insane banter" Please Please Please!
~~Also people who beg on forums~~ lol

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
@shimmerfly and Azkaban

Unfortunately in most complex ideas the "devil is in the details" as they say. Yes, you can "keep it short" by just blasting out your opinion and letting it go at that, but if you want to influence others you probably would be better to bring in all that "boring" detail. I'll give you an example of why it's important.

About 30 years ago I worked for a NASA subcontractor. We build weather and scientific space bound devices. Like the control module for the Hubble Telescope and the Diffuse X-Ray Spectrometer. One day everything stopped. You walked down the halls and everybody was just standing there, some in shock. Why? Because the Challenger had just blown up. What when wrong?

The morning of the Challenger launch an engineer was tasked with presenting the details of the launch under certain conditions, including the temperature. He did so an in the list of things that could be a potential problem he mentioned that the o-rings used would contract if the temperature was too low -- and then told them the temperature. Nobody heard him. Oh, they all remember him talking, but the "details" were just not important, so why bother with them. Everything was A-OKAY and the launch was ready to go!

So it went and people died. You may not like the details and you may find them boring, but without them people die.

There is nothing worse than a smart person too lazy to study the issue in detail, and too willing to give his opinion anyway. Opinions alone may be convincing to the one who holds them and those who have already been convinced, the rest of us probably need the details of why an opinion should be believed.

AJ

ajqtrz

@ajqtrz
4 full paragraphs and nothing resembling an answer.....I'll try one more time:

Speeding cannot by itself cause an accident with another vehicle.
Hitting another vehicle requires either a lane change, or following too close.
So I ask again, do you know what else was involved in the 23% of accidents that involved speeding? Or does the USDT not have that data?

I'm not too sure of what we appear to be disagreeing about. Any driver driving at a speed greater than he can control is bound to have an accident. If my car can do 160 and I'm only able to control it up to 140, if I did 160 for very long I'd probably lose control...and thus, speed alone caused me to lose control. If you mean, on the other hand, that it was the speed (and not the loss of control or coming into contact with some other object) then of course speed by itself is not the cause of the accident. But that's sort of like claiming that light isn't the cause of photosynthesis. Without light most plants don't grow. And without at least one moving object there is no accident.

And here's how speed alone can cause an accident: I'm sitting still. The freeway is blocked and traffic has halted. The guy behind me plows into my vehicle because he is moving. He did not swerve, he did not change lanes and he wasn't "following" because I wasn't moving. He plows into me because his speed exceeds mine, thus it is speed that is the material cause of the accident. I don't know this for certain but I suspect that "excess speed" is speed in excess of the speed limit and/or in excess of ability of the driver to stop before hitting a stationary object. I do know it's "speed in excess of the posted limit" in most cases, but it may also include the loss of control even it's under the posted limit.

AJ

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
He did not swerve, he did not change lanes and he wasn't "following" because I wasn't moving. He plows into me because his speed exceeds mine, thus it is speed that is the material cause of the accident.
This is where we are disagreeing. The whole reason why "following too close" is a thing is because of stopping distance. If you are in front of him and not moving then if he wasn't following too close he should have been to able to slow down and match your speed (which in this case is 0mph) thus it was not speed that was the material cause of the accident.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the things I find strange about speed limits is the poor conditions laws. In most places when weather/road conditions are poor you are expected to slow down to "an appropriate speed". What that means is really vague and open to interpretation.
It seems like we are expected to make our own judgement call as to what speed is safe during the worst conditions, but the assumption is we are incapable of doing so ourselves under ideal conditions.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the things I find strange about speed limits is the poor conditions laws. In most places when weather/road conditions are poor you are expected to slow down to "an appropriate speed". What that means is really vague and open to interpretation.

What that means in the civilized world ( I can't speak for Canada or France ) is,
if you have a wreck then obviously you were going too fast for conditions and the accident was your fault.

Or at least that is my OPINION in this OPINION THREAD and I am not interested in parsing words with some ( to remain anonymous ) self centered know it all.

shimmerfly

@AJ
"There is nothing worse than a smart person too lazy to study the issue in detail, and too willing to give his opinion anyway. Opinions alone may be convincing to the one who holds them and those who have already been convinced, the rest of us probably need the details of why an opinion should be believed".

Okay now you have my attention in a bad way. I, nor anyone else, (but a few) want to hear about this or the details any longer. You are monopolizing an entire thread of this forum and your not even following the subject matter. I do not care about your beliefs nor do I think you have a right or reason to beat a dead horse. I will wish you well and hope you find a place besides a game to voice your opinions. I do apologize to anyone I have offended. with my harshness. I am done with you~ goodnight.

SoggyShorts

What that means in the civilized world ( I can't speak for Canada or France ) is,
if you have a wreck then obviously you were going too fast for conditions and the accident was your fault.
Or at least that is my OPINION
At first I thought you might be right, but then I saw this was just your opinion so now I'm convinced you are wrong.

But seriously, you are making my point. It is left to us to correctly decide what speed is safe in poor conditions, and if we are wrong it's our fault. But there is a totally different rule for when conditions are good.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
At first I thought you might be right, but then I saw this was just your opinion so now I'm convinced you are wrong.

But seriously, you are making my point. It is left to us to correctly decide what speed is safe in poor conditions, and if we are wrong it's our fault. But there is a totally different rule for when conditions are good.

Yeah, I actually agree with you but was making fun of the law in my own terribly humorous way.
But as ridiculous as the law is, it is hard to fight.

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Here's another one
and believe it or not it is about rl not this thread

People who cannot tell a succinct story

Here is a story as told by me;
" So I was going to Altoona and as I'm driving down the mountain this huge deer jumps right in front of my car. My front end is totally destroyed."

Now, same story as told by people who were put on this earth with the sole purpose of driving me insane.
" A week ago my wife mentioned that we needed a new throw rug in the entry way. I told her I could go to the outlet store in Altoona on my day off. Of course this also would be a good opportunity to have lucnh at that great sub shop over there. So I called my daughter and asked her if she wanted to go to Altoona with me. She asked what day I was going because she works three days a week and it couldn't be one of those days. She could have taken a personal day but she used all her days up when she went to her best friend's wedding in Virginia." ... yada yada yada you get the idea

SoggyShorts

@mucksterme you're killing me! What was on the sub? You can't just start a story like that and not finish that key detail.. was it mayo? chipotle mayo? It probably had avocado, didn't it?!?

teddeler

Spaghetti. Spaghetti's just always bothered me for some reason. Something about the noodles reminds me of brains. But other noodles don't. Haven't figured that one out yet.

DeletedUser

Spaghetti. Spaghetti's just always bothered me for some reason. Something about the noodles reminds me of brains. But other noodles don't. Haven't figured that one out yet.

Childhood trauma, perhaps? Someone in a Halloween haunted house used them to simulate brain matter? Because I can totally see that happening. :eek: :confused:

mucksterme

Oh Wise One
Childhood trauma, perhaps? Someone in a Halloween haunted house used them to simulate brain matter? Because I can totally see that happening. :eek: :confused:

Or walking in on your stepfather even though he told you to stay out of the basement, and seeing the pile of hobo brains on the floor.

Orrrr, maybe that's just me

>_>

ajqtrz

It's entirely possible that I am a poor communicator, but I have never had anyone else with as much trouble interpreting my writing as you display.
The law in our jurisdiction requires the employer to provide a minimum amount of notice or severance when terminating employment. The law also provides that companies going through bankruptcy can ignore that law. The law also allows the company to get away with not paying out the 30% deficit in the employee's negotiated pension plan when they are going through bankruptcy. The thing they negotiated and the thing that was promised them under the law, are both being taken away by the bankruptcy laws.

I was clearly addressing the fallacious notion that absolute adherence to law is somehow a basis for claiming moral superiority. Many of our laws are based on morals, many are based on preserving the assets of the people with the greatest amount of power in the country. The commonly misused phrase that possession is nine-tenths of the law refers to the fact that the vast majority of our codes are about preserving wealth for those who already have it and how to decide who something belongs to when there is conflict.

Trying to blame the employees for not having negotiated something that was already provided for in law is quintessential victim blaming and does not incline me to think any better of your stand regarding law and morals.

So it's the dual of the competing laws. That's more than unfortunate but it's understandable in some ways. What needs to change is the classification of the worker related contract obligations. The wages are pretty much covered and seen as debt obligations. I don't know why pension payments aren't seen the same way. Notification and severance are two areas we could disagree about. Severance may be doable under the structures of the pension, but notification is especially thorny as you don't want a company telling all their employees that they will be shutting down in 2 months, and then expect that company to complete any outstanding contracts. If you did require notification I do believe you would also need to require the employee work most to all of the time until closure. In fact it would almost be necessary as often penalties for not completion would be paid in advance of any settlement of workers claims. So if a company has a million dollars they have to pay in penalties and they own the workers, say 500k in pension payments, if they told the workers before they completed the contract and the workers left -- causing them to fail to complete and thus incur the penalties, the 1 million would be lost to the workers and it would be hard to see how the company could then pay them 500k. That's the problem with telling the workers that you are going to close. Of course nobody wants to show up on Monday to a locked gate, but both sides do suffer either way. In addition, most states have pension insurance whereby the insurance payments not made are made by the insurance company upon the default of the company. Unfortunately some states do not, and some companies are registered in those states specifically to avoid the pension fund insurance costs (among other things).

But under all your concern is, I think, a philosophical distinction which may not be more than personal choice. You do seem to think that the workers are inherently worth more than the bankers. Why is that? If a bank loses money people at the bank lose their jobs. So if you set things up so that the banks don't get repaid their loans, you may have helped one set of workers, at the expense of another. When the resources of the bankrupt company are insufficient to pay those who are owed, how to distribute fairly boils down to what you think is fair. When the word "fair" enters into the conversation there isn't much objective evidence one can offer for one;s version of fairness.

AJ

PS. Wrote that yesterday, today I add that "apparently" implies that the thing claimed is clearly there. So if you say I "apparently" think something you are, in fact, saying that the evidence for believing I think that is clear enough to be apparent (implying apparent to all). You seem to have, in my opinion, assumed the direction of my comments would lead me to support the practice of having bankruptcy laws nullify other laws regarding worker rights. Bankruptcy laws negate a lot more than those laws and protect a lot more as well. Individuals make promises to pay certain things back and then default. When they default long enough the bankruptcy laws allow them to walk away from debt obligations, AND to keep certain assets even if those assets have liens upon them. If, for instance, you own your home and make payments, but have huge credit card or other debt obligations, when you go bankrupt the creditors cannot kick you out of your home and sell it for their debts. A second home, yes, but not your primary residence. Same goes for your car. And your tools if you are a craftsman. Corporations have fewer protections. The right to forgo debt obligations by a corporation is about the same as the right to declare bankruptcy an individual enjoys, though a bankrupt corporation can loose all it's assets, including any real estate, even if it is necessary for the business activity of the ongoing firm.

Most states have laws that say you have to repay loans. Failure to do so results in actions by the parties to whom the debt is owned and governed by the processes put in place. Bankruptcy says you can "put aside" the debt and thus, as a concept is using the bankruptcy laws to set aside other laws requiring your to fulfill the contract you signed.

The only positive thing that can be said about bankruptcy is that without without it individuals, not matter how fraudulent the bankruptcy might be, would end up in "debtor's prison." If a corporation were to do what some individuals do in the process of declaring bankruptcy or in anticipation of it, the management would land in jail.

Just some thoughts on bankruptcy and the law.

AJ

ajqtrz

This is where we are disagreeing. The whole reason why "following too close" is a thing is because of stopping distance. If you are in front of him and not moving then if he wasn't following too close he should have been to able to slow down and match your speed (which in this case is 0mph) thus it was not speed that was the material cause of the accident.
It seems like we are expected to make our own judgement call as to what speed is safe during the worst conditions, but the assumption is we are incapable of doing so ourselves under ideal conditions.

I think we are quibbling re "speed." Speed is the rate of movement. If nothing is moving then there can be no accidents. Hence, "speed" is part of every accident. AND if it's part of every accident, the only question is if it was the only cause. To "follow too closely" you would have to be moving. Thus the one being followed would need to be going somewhere ...i.e. moving. Since he is not he can't be followed. The one moving, cannot be moving in the same direction as the stalled car because the stalled car isn't moving in any direction. Thus, "different direction of movement" cannot be the cause of the accident. If all accidents are caused by a difference in direction and/or a difference in speed, and you've eliminated the difference in direction as the cause, then the difference in speed must be the cause. If the speed of one of the cars is 0 because they are not moving, it must be the speed of the other car that is the direct cause of the accident, the speed and the speed alone.

All of which is pretty much a game of semantics I think and not worth much more pursuit, unless you think it really important. Let me know, otherwise we can probably drop this line of inquiry, don't you think?

BUT I do like your comment on the right to "make our own judgment call" in less than ideal conditions, but not in ideal conditions. I would suggest though that the speed limit is the speed limit under ideal conditions and that the condition of the road may be slightly to greatly less than ideal and therefore since no strict rule can be put forth for every condition it is necessary to allow you to adjust according to your judgement of the conditions. Under no conditions will this adjustment be in the upward direction in response to road conditions for the speed limit is set for the road under ideal conditions.

AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.