• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Time Between Events

DeletedUser27062

I was just trying to help, no need to try and get all AJ on me. But if you insist:

For something to be a colloquialism more people than just you have to use it that way.
In gaming parlance "to Nerf" has a very specific usage and yours was totally wrong.
In fact in any context "To Nerf" never means to throw away as you claimed.
No matter how far I scroll I can't find a single instance on google where your usage fits, not urban dictionary, not anyware after 10 pages of results. Likewise, on these forums (which you may have noticed I read quite a bit) I have never seen this usage anywhere, ever. It is certainly not a common colloquialism as you claim.

Regardless, it's not about being a grammar nazi, it's about confusion. More than a few times I've had to explain what Nerf means to older people/newer gamers on these forums, and for you to arbitrarily change the meaning to "Nerf means to throw something" is utterly confusing and unhelpful as well as just odd.

I tried to politely point out that I was using nerf in a different context and you broke out the grammar hammer. I responded. You could have said hey, it's confusing for others when you use that word in a different way but instead you assumed you knew best and proceeded to 'check' me.

Just because it's not on the net doesn't mean it's not real or not used as I said. If I referred to a superheater would you know what I was talking about? No because it's a colloquialism that only has (had) meaning here. When I was a kid everyone knew what a superheater was but as technology changed so did our lexicon. When I say I nerfed something here people know what I mean. The fact that you don't isn't my problem.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
@Eudaemonia
It's unfortunate that you believe that's what happened. Perhaps I went too far in my explanation of why your usage was confusing and idiosyncratic.
I didn't mean to come off as condescending or whatever got your back up, I just offered examples and the grammar usage as further data points.

Anywho, back on topic:

Maybe we need less time between events, and even overlapping events so that we don't argue about dumb stuff as often? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
@Eudaemonia
I didn't mean to come off as condescending or whatever got your back up, I just offered examples and the grammar usage as further data points.

Guess I'm not the only one who can come off condescending! LOL! Of course, anytime you correct somebody you can come off as condescending. It's just part of the territory. The only way to not come off condescending is to either not know anything or, if you know anything, don't tell anyone and let them proceed on their merry way based upon misinformation.

I think I'll start a club: "Condescenders United." We'd hold regular meetings but if we did I doubt they'd last too long. Everyone would be so offended at how I ran it because they'd just know how to do it better and thus, after one meeting I'd probably be meeting alone. ;)

AJ

Dew Spinner

I tried to politely point out that I was using nerf in a different context and you broke out the grammar hammer. I responded. You could have said hey, it's confusing for others when you use that word in a different way but instead you assumed you knew best and proceeded to 'check' me.

Just because it's not on the net doesn't mean it's not real or not used as I said. If I referred to a superheater would you know what I was talking about? No because it's a colloquialism that only has (had) meaning here. When I was a kid everyone knew what a superheater was but as technology changed so did our lexicon. When I say I nerfed something here people know what I mean. The fact that you don't isn't my problem.
If you are not in agreement with this person 100%, 100% of the time many hammers will come out! He will have a "special name" for you shortly.

SoggyShorts

If you are not in agreement with this person 100%, 100% of the time many hammers will come out! He will have a "special name" for you shortly.
It's not that you need to agree with me, you just have to be right. The fact that being right puts one in agreement with me is simply a happy coincidence.
Also, you don't get to be bitter about losing a fight that you started and were then too stubborn to admit you were wrong (until you admitted it by accident).

As for @Eudaemonia, don't worry about them, they still have my respect and being wrong just once won't change that.
Yes.jpg

Last edited:

Dew Spinner

It's not that you need to agree with me, you just have to be right. The fact that being right puts one in agreement with me is simply a happy coincidence.
Also, you don't get to be bitter about losing a fight that you started and were then too stubborn to admit you were wrong (until you admitted it by accident).

As for @Eudaemonia, don't worry about them, they still have my respect and being wrong just once won't change that.
View attachment 10262
Still training buds, still using buds, still winning fights with buds, still not taking huge losses of buds, the proof is in the pudding!

SoggyShorts

Still training buds, still using buds, still winning fights with buds, still not taking huge losses of buds, the proof is in the pudding!
Nah, the proof [that blossoms are in most cases better than buds] is in the fact that you "save your blossoms for later rounds" when fights get harder and you need better troops.

Dew Spinner

Nah, the proof [that blossoms are in most cases better than buds] is in the fact that you "save your blossoms for later rounds" when fights get harder and you need better troops.
And very smart of me to do! Just because Rangers are better doesn't mean you never use Archers. I never said Blossoms weren't great troops, just that Buds are good for under a certain chapter level at least. I just used Buds in 3 or more 3rd floor spire fights and I am hardly down any, I lost way more Sword Acrobats and Frogs! I like to spread the damage around, easier to recoup your losses. Anyways, I'll see you on the tourney leaderboard, look up you'll find me! LOL Let's get back on topic, shall we?!

Last edited:

Grid Gypsy

Back on topic, we are currently suffering through 12 boring days in between the end of the event and the start of the FA. If we get the same gap on the Live servers, all the complainers better enjoy it.

I've got no problem doing back to back festivals or taking a break and doing nothing but growing my city. What I do have a problem with is that it took me this long to clean up after the last FA, resize and rearrange my city, put out the mana producers for the woodelves and unlock the portal. Now I'm going to have to wait to put out said portal and it's connected buildings so that I have room to create another shanty town. I'm beginning to wonder why I'm bothering to advance in chapters at all... why not just park everything and do the weekly and now monthly group events? Either that or make every PP that comes through the MA and advance through the chapters that way.

SoggyShorts

Now I'm going to have to wait to put out said portal and it's connected buildings so that I have room to create another shanty town. I'm beginning to wonder why I'm bothering to advance in chapters at all... why not just park everything and do the weekly and now monthly group events? Either that or make every PP that comes through the MA and advance through the chapters that way.
You're missing option #3: Ignore the FA. Or at least the shanty badges. Since there are almost zero prizes from doing more than one path, just let your fellows who are naturally between chapters cover those and take turns doing so.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
@Grid Gypsy there are still 17 more days in the event, and then up to 12 more days after that before the FA may start. That is almost a month from now, so a lot of time to advance into the chapter. Looking at a calendar and my guess for the FA is it will start around Aug 24th.

Grid Gypsy

You're missing option #3: Ignore the FA. Or at least the shanty badges. Since there are almost zero prizes from doing more than one path, just let your fellows who are naturally between chapters cover those and take turns doing so.

Unfortunately, or fortunately? Either way. I'm just not geared like that. If my FS decides to go all out, and typically it's a majority decision, I'll do everything I can to help out. If that includes pausing my forward progress then so be it. I can still be irritated by it though. lol Secondarily, when we start having FAs every month they stop being fun. I joined this game because it was marketed as a build your city game, not a "do events back to back" game. ;)

@Grid Gypsy there are still 17 more days in the event, and then up to 12 more days after that before the FA may start. That is almost a month from now, so a lot of time to advance into the chapter. Looking at a calendar and my guess for the FA is it will start around Aug 24th.

If we follow the same schedule as last time (and iirc a couple of FAs toward the end of last year) then the next one will start on the 19th, ~2.5 weeks after beta ends (it's been announced for the 27th) and a little over a week after the Games. The last FA started a week and one day after Homecoming. That is a little better than I was initially thinking (3.5 weeks or there about) and just maybe I can do something with that combined with a handful of PPs.

hvariidh gwendrot

Non-Expanding Recreational Foam

Zombie Strike on Steam. Zombie Strike is a strategy RPG with AFK gameplay and various elements. Survivors can recruit heroes, transform zombies, build a mighty team to defend their home! This game has high intelligence AI automatic play

Zombie Strike, alternatively stylized as Zombiestrike, is a series of Nerf dart, disc, and Super Soaker blasters that was released on August 4, 2013.
..... just saying .... never hurts to know what you're talking about

anyway the problem with the FA's isn't the time between them or that they are difficult
it's that the payout is next to worthless if they made better rewards for doing them then it wont matter how often as people will enjoy them more

The Unbeliever

Back on topic, we are currently suffering through 12 boring days in between the end of the event and the start of the FA. If we get the same gap on the Live servers, all the complainers better enjoy it.
They won't... they'll just find something else to be upset & whine about, since that's how the perpetually offended tend to naturally roll. ;)

I mean, sure *I* complain a helluva lot about this game & the devs, but at least try to keep it to relevent stuff that would actually vastly improve this game's quality of life;
- GIVE. US. KEYBOARD. SCROLLING. DAMMIT!! (...seriously, how many time do all of us accidently click something we don't want to, because the devs are too lazy to code this fix after 5 damn years?!)

- Fix the battle system please, it's a hot mess

- rebalance the squad size codes to be linear vs. the current dumpster fire of them just being exponential.

- More variety in the event mini games ala FoE so that it's not the same boring snore-fest of "look up chart - find 2-3 'best' mathematical options - click those umpteen million times - rinse/repeat 5-6x per year".
There are NOT, "too many events" in this game. There are too many of the SAME events in this game!

- Re-build the Crafting feature to include fewer instants & more 'relic/legacy' buildings of year's past.
...or else remove the building altogether, and add in a side feature of an 'auction house' that use the VV's to simply purchase these older buildings vs. the current rotating chest system where the only real reward are occasional diamonds. (and yes, we can still get plenty of those for free via the Spire anyways :p)

But seriously guys, I want my damn keyboard scrolling already!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

hvariidh gwendrot

i would def be a yes vote on a larger variety of quests .. if they added the drop down menu in crafting and just had a cost for item menu, that would solve any repetitiveness

The Unbeliever

i would def be a yes vote on a larger variety of quests .. if they added the drop down menu in crafting and just had a cost for item menu, that would solve any repetitiveness
I'm not talking about the variety of the quests themselves, but rather, the actual in-event mini game. (ie: the 3 rotating chests)
Changing them to 'Beacons of Power' or 'Racing Hoops' or 'Celestial Orbs' is not changing a damn thing - it's just painting a different skin over the same stale turd. :p
I mean, what we currently have is:
Carnival = 3 rotating chests
Spring/Phoenix = 3 rotating chests
May Festival = shuffle board
Sorcerers = 3 rotating beacons
Summer/Elvarian Games = 3 rotating racing hoops
Fall/Bears = 3 rotating orbs
Halloween = misty forest 'maze' game (OMG - I woke up for once?!o_O)
Winter/Xmas = shuffle board

I'm sorry, but that boring as feth doing the same damn thing 5 times, while 2 of the other events are only marginally more engaging. What I want to see, are changes like;
Carnival Event = re-skin/port over the St. Paddy's Day 'festival management' mini game
Spring/Phoenix = 3 rotating chests
May Festival = shuffle board
Sorcerers = magical tomb ala Misty Forest from last year's Halloween
Summer/Elvarian Games = 3 rotating chests + either the 'coaches' mechanics, or port over the Player Cards + Soccer Tournament
Fall Bears = Wildlife 'block-popping' game (...ie: if Candy Crush and Toon Blast had some wierd hybrid offspring, this game would be it!)
Halloween = 'baking' spooky treats using 5 different ingredients combined into the rotating chest system
Winter/Xmas = shuffle board

Done.
Now those players like myself, who find the 3 rotating chests to be even more braindead boring than watching paint dry on a humid day, can have some different styles of mini games to look forwards to... meanwhile, those who maybe don't enjoy/like a more tactical and/or thinking based style of mini game will still have their 'classic' simplistic '3 chests' + the 'shuffle board' ones to look forwards to.
And for those who really enjoy something that involves lots of micro-management, there's a mini game for that too!

As it is though, I find that a good deal of the 'event burn out' comes from the over repetitiveness of nearly always doing the same thing again, and again, again, and again, etc... :(

hvariidh gwendrot

whatever they put in or keep the idea of random rewards is a total screw you to the players .. i am amazed at the difference between results and rewards in cities when they all open the same amount of chests or beacons, (whatever) using the same strategy

The Unbeliever

whatever they put in or keep the idea of random rewards is a total screw you to the players .. i am amazed at the difference between results and rewards in cities when they all open the same amount of chests or beacons, (whatever) using the same strategy
The problem is the legacy of keeping all the bonus event currencies in the various chest options... Remove that, and instead just ensure that hitting a certain threshold of event currency = gaining a full evo building/set.
The variance of how much currency a player ends up actually requiring is then left to whether a player chose to focus on gaining more daily prizes (which are meant to be inherently weaker anyways!) vs. focusing exclusively on maximising how many grand prizes they can get.

As it is currently though, I know I spent up to twice the diamonds as others did to gain 2 sets from the previous Sorc's event, simply because I won only about 500 extra currency from the chests, while many others won as much 2k or more while spending far fewer dias!

How much an average player can win should be determined by how skilled they are a mini game (ie: Halloween's Misty Forest) or how efficiently they spend their currency (ie: focusing on grand prizes vs. daily prize %'s)
Instead, what we've got is a system that's entire just ranDUMB luck! (...or complete lack there of. ;))

SoggyShorts

i would def be a yes vote on a larger variety of quests
The problem with quests seems to be the players. Too many vocal players complain about any quest that is even remotely challenging or disruptive of other gameplay which leaves the developers nothing to work with.
Try it, open a thread suggesting a new type of quest that should be added to events and I guarantee there will be complaints.