• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tips for new Users (February 2019 edition)

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Reserved for tips

• Placing your longest buildings on the edge of town with their shortest dimension to the road reduces the total amount of space you need to dedicate to roads/paths. Each building only needs to touch one square of road. Some buildings don't need roads at all.
  • Just because a building needs a road connection to function doesn't mean it needs a road connection "right now." For instance, a lot of early chapter players don't need their Magic Academy most of the time. So stick it in a corner (it conveniently takes up 1 full expansion) and only connect it to a road if you need to cook a spell.
  • As soon as you have a boosted good, you become much more productive with it than you are with the other goods. Focusing on your boost and using the trader can save you a great deal of effort over time. Even if you choose to offer trades at above a 1:1 rate, you can still come out ahead.
  • No matter how sure you are that you started a job running, sometimes the server and the game disagree. If the result is critical to your timing, then refresh the browser from scratch and check again. Coming back 3 or 9 hours later to collect and finding out that only 5 of the six jobs you started actually finished while the 7th building is sitting idle can be disappointing.
  • There's a handy third-party website for planning your city at https://www.elvenarchitect.com
  • Third party site for making best use of your space: https://elvengems.com/city-layout-space-optimization/
  • Don't get too bogged down in events, adventures, etc. The buildings/rewards are nice, but will be replaced in pretty short order. Spend most of your city space progressing through the research tree.
  • Get comfortable with the combat system. In the long run, being able to effectively use your military is the most efficient resource in the game. Troops are the only reusable resource available to us, and used effectively in tournaments and provinces, they can make your city very powerful. The combat system is overwhelming at first, especially if you're not used to strategy games, but there are lots of resources out there to simplify things for you.
  • Join a fellowship. Even if you ignore chat and are the epitome of "lone wolf gamer," a fellowship means that you can participate in tournaments, visit (and receive gold/supplies from) 15-24 more people, and have more trading partners. You don't have to open chat, or open FS mail, or take trades, etc.
  • Each chapter, either your workshops or your residences change shape. Each chapter, you also get 1-3 new expansions. BEFORE you research and upgrade those buildings, look up what the change looks like. Move the non-changing building type into an efficient position (e.g., entering Dwarves, move residences along the north east border as you upgrade them). Use your new expansion as extra space to re-arrange your buildings for when they change shape.
  • Think before spending diamonds. Most buildings are going to be no use too you in a chapter or three, while some things will continue to have value for the entire game (upgraded Builder, upgraded Magic Academy, more space for you city, etc.)
  • At some point the residences that generated population that you needed to build other things will be generating more cash (gold) than you can store in your Main Hall. Don't waste it. Spend it on research or on extra goods from the wholesaler in the trader. Whichever you do, someone will tell you you are wrong and should do the other thing, that's life.
  • Especially at the beginning, polish (Neighborly Help) everyone in sight! That means spend a little time doing everyone in your FS, and then do every city you have discovered.
  • When polishing (i.e. extending "Neighborly Help") you can get three instances of "there is treasure in this city"; it is worth it to find the treasure. Once you have those, finish off the rest with your mobile device --- it's much faster. If you don't have a mobile device, just blast through them as fast as you can. (You can't get the treasure on your mobile for some reason.) You get cash based on the level of your Main hall, and that can be a LOT.
  • When it comes to tournaments or Fellowship Adventures there is no such thing as being "too small to help." Every little bit helps and advances your Fellowship's position.
  • Pace yourselves on map expansions if you get to the 11th ring (222 Provinces if you are keeping a tight circle) before you are ready in orcs chapter you'll be expansion locked and unable to expand further, this will limit your game play in FA's and events and you will miss out on decent prizes

Last edited:

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
This thread is intended for the community to debate the tips that are most useful to new players. As we reach consensus, I'll copy them into the first post.

If I go Awol, someone can quote the message into a new thread and give it a new edition title so people can always find the newest tips.

shimmerfly

Roads:
Your buildings only need to be touching one road on one side. Don't surround your buildings with road or your wasting space.
Upgrade your roads as you progress. They can add a lot of culture to your city ad can be done a few squares at a time.
I'm sure some others will chime in :p

DeletedUser9601

Keeping this more "meta" advice that practical city-building.

-Just because a building needs a road connection to function doesn't mean it needs a road connection "right now." For instance, a lot of early chapter players don't need their Magic Academy most of the time. So stick it in a corner (it conveniently takes up 1 full expansion) and only connect it to a road if you need to cook a spell.

-Don't get too bogged down in events, adventures, etc. The buildings/rewards are nice, but will be replaced in pretty short order. Spend most of your city space progressing through the research tree.

-Get comfortable with the combat system. In the long run, being able to effectively use your military is the most efficient resource in the game. Troops are the only reusable resource available to us, and used effectively in tournaments and provinces, they can make your city very powerful. The combat system is overwhelming at first, especially if you're not used to strategy games, but there are lots of resources out there to simplify things for you.

-Join a fellowship. Even if you ignore chat and are the epitome of "lone wolf gamer," a fellowship means that you can participate in tournaments, visit (and receive gold/supplies from) 15-24 more people, and have more trading partners. You don't have to open chat, or open FS mail, or take trades, etc.

-Each chapter, either your workshops or your residences change shape. Each chapter, you also get 1-3 new expansions. BEFORE you research and upgrade those buildings, look up what the change looks like. Move the non-changing building type into an efficient position (e.g., entering Dwarves, move residences along the north east border as you upgrade them). Use your new expansion as extra space to re-arrange your buildings for when they change shape.

-Don't spend diamonds on culture buildings before reaching the end of the tech tree.

DeletedUser19914

Observations from a newbie (only at Chapter III and joined two months ago):

1) At some point the dwelings that generated population that you needed to build other things will be generating more cash (gold) than you can store in your Main Hall. Spend it on research!
2) Especially at the beginning, polish (Neighborly Help) everyone in sight! That means spend a little time doing everyone in your FS, and then do every city you have discovered.
3) When polishing (i.e. extending "Neighborly Help") you can get three instances of "there is treasure in this city"; it is worth it to find the treasure. Once you have those, finish off the rest with your mobile device --- it's much faster. If you don't have a mobile device, just blast through them as fast as you can. (You can't get the treasure on your mobile for some reason.) You get cash based on the level of your Main hall, and that can be a LOT.
4) Join a Fellowship! I put it off for a while, but the one I found is great. Lots of help with trades, even if you are not offering the best trades. If you're not getting the help you need, tell your Archmage (= Fellowship leader), resign, and find another one. Other people said this already but I wanted to emphasize it.
5) When it comes to tournaments or Fellowship Adventures there is no such thing as being "too small to help." Every little bit helps and advances your Fellowship's position.
6) Scan the forums on a regular basis, and learn to use the search function. There is a wealth of knowledge here!

I think that's all I have to say at the moment.

DeletedUser20396

I don't know if anyone said this already, But Spare Coin is nice used in the Wholesaler in the trader. Stock up on goods, it helps when the tourneys come or when negotiating space around your home in the World map. Hope this helped. :)

DeletedUser19914

Quick question. The icon that looks like a white triangle with a brown arrow is that the "treasure in the city" signal?

I have not seen that symbol. The message appears (for me) as a comment box with a nice border near the center of the screen, accompanied by a sound effect. I then go looking around the edges of the city map for the glowing treasure chest to click on. (Win 10, Firefox)

DeletedUser19914

I don't know if anyone said this already, But Spare Coin is nice used in the Wholesaler in the trader. Stock up on goods, it helps when the tourneys come or when negotiating space around your home in the World map. Hope this helped. :)

I think this is a YMMV moment. I don't find the wholesaler prices to be worth the goods that they buy, even when compared to the moderately expensive price of KPs.

Ashrem

Oh Wise One
Quick question. The icon that looks like a white triangle with a brown arrow is that the "treasure in the city" signal?
I don't know what symbol you're seeing, maybe you could do a screen cap?

After you help the city, then the server randomly decides if there is a chest and tells the client to send the notification and draw it. I presume there's no way to tell which city has a help chest before you actually help it, because if the client had that information, someone could script collection of treasures by artificially returning the "client clicked chest" response.

DeletedUser19914

My experience is that the first city you help will have "treasure". The second city will have "treasure" with a high probability (estimate >70%). It then usually takes me between three and 8 more cities to get the third "treasure". Then I switch to the tablet to do them fast, because there are only three "treasure" returns in response to Neighborly Help in a 24 (23?) hour period.

Note, that I Help my FS companions first, so the probabilities might be different for Helping people in the region around your city.

hvariidh gwendrot

pace yourselves on map expansions if you get to the 11th ring before you are ready in orcs chapter you'll be expansion locked and unable to expand further, this will limit your game play in FA's and events and you will miss out on decent prizes if they require solved encounters/relics/completed provinces, it's a bit of a pain to count it out but much better than getting stuck because you cannot produce an orc
2) to know what ring you are on look at a scouted province and where is shows reward 1 kp 1 relic then ranking points, whatever # that's the ring you are in

Last edited:

hvariidh gwendrot

i would recommend not doing squad size upgrades that can be bypassed on your tech tree (research) as your squad size goes up inno increases the number of troops opposing you in tournaments, so instead of having overwhelming numbers the ratio stays the same and just costs you more to replace larger squads

shimmerfly

On the subject of scouting..
Keep one Province scouted and uncompleted for the Events and if possible another that is partially completed. When we have a larger Event this may help solve some encounters and or fights.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
i would recommend not doing squad size upgrades that can be bypassed on your tech tree (research) as your squad size goes up inno increases the number of troops opposing you in tournaments, so instead of having overwhelming numbers the ratio stays the same and just costs you more to replace larger squads

While I understand the intent of this suggestion it can also be detrimental to a new player. Doing this can severely limit their ability to expand in the world map and makes it take even longer to get past the worst combat point. A person following this advice needs to either be given help from others, something I don't encourage as too often it creates a dependence that can't be broken, or to increase their factory production. A lot of new towns struggle with this without increased pressure.

A new player really need to learn about expansions, advanced scout techs and how squad sizes impact tournaments and world map provinces early so they can make a decision as to what is best for them. Sadly its a lot to digest when you first start the game.

DeletedUser20396

Here are some tips from Elvenar.
fdasfdf.PNG
dfafd.PNG