• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tips for parking a city in chapter

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
It never even occurred to me that I could go negative population and live there. This is new ground for me. Any advice or suggestions?

Looking at it and crunching numbers....when I do decide to move into chapter 10 I can teleport out my remaining population and run the whole chapter 10 guest race without getting rid of a single manufactory. Guest race buildings dont require population. I think I might run low on coins but I have plenty of coin rains and I can visit the whole neighborhood daily. Mana production will be taken care of by all the evolving buildings I am putting out. Ideas?

Yeah, neg pop is a tactic you can use. I follow this pattern: First 1/2 of guest race I configure things as if I didn't have guest race...thus it's everything possible but guest race buildings. I upgrade everything and save coin and supply instants, and do all the researches that don't take guest race goods...usually just under 1/2 of the researches. Once everything is up to date, and I'm about 1/2 way through the research tree, I switch to "neg pop" mode and for the last 1/2 of research try to live off my "savings" of coin instants.

That's how I do it and it works for me, anyway.

AJ

Iyapo1

I have had negative pop a few times when I teleported something to make room for something else or rearranged my city.
So have I, but I always corrected it, immediately! Which is a pain since I have a lv 30 MH and a level 30 golden Abyss(if you teleport a manufactory your "working population" drops and you cant just put the manufactory back down)
Going to crazy town maximizing negative pop would require playing city tetris though. So I only go negative to accommodate one or two buildings. It looks like Iyapo is willing to rearrange her city so she can have fun nosediving her pop and going really deep into the red with this experiment.

I just realized that I dont need to fix a negative population immediately! I do like city tetris! But if I play tetris right, here in chapter 9, I can keep it here till chapter 11(end of chapter 10, no way am I going to be able to stand more than one chapter without fully upgrading everything)! And yeah, I am guessing around -15k ish.
Once I get it all set I will drop the total negative here. I am upgrading at the moment and have inflicted SpeedUp conservation Rules on myself.

Last edited:

BrinDarby

A) why wouldn't it be? I don't understand your question. Once bldgs are placed, they can't just disappear if your pop does, and they don't stop producing.
If you delete a road, the building stops working doesn't it ????
Same should apply if you no longer have enough population.....
your bldgs should start shutting down.... otherwise its a built in game cheat.

BrinDarby

I just realized that I dont need to fix a negative population immediately!

So Iyapo , that's an "occasional , temp , smallish" situation ....
What if its taken to its logical conclusion ???
( and if so ) Don't you then see it as a problem ??

Iyapo1

So Iyapo , that's an "occasional , temp , smallish" situation ....
What if its taken to its logical conclusion ???
( and if so ) Don't you then see it as a problem ??
The logical conclusion? Staying negative population forever? It will only work if permanently parked. And no I dont see permanent parking as a problem, neither do you, so I think I am missing your point. :)
I think I could hold my negative population through two chapters before the coin demands in the tech tree would go beyond my capacity. I am only planning to hold it through chapter 10. And then repeat the negative build for each guest race there after.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
This makes no sense, If it is built in, then it isn't a cheat. LOL! Again, if it is there, and the devs leave it there, then it is another strategic choice.
Exactly. It's like when Coldfire Phoenix first came out. I fed it and it kept randomly spitting out 11KPs until I got 143KPs from one feed. I just thought it was maybe giving me 11KPs for every ring it passed until it got to my scouted region. I didn't program this. It's how the game behaved. Those are pretty favorable numbers so it's worth it to keep feeding it. Apparently it was a bug and someone had a problem with receiving too many KPs from one feed and reported it. Now it's patched and you get KPs at the start of a scout. The Coldfire is now useless and sold off. If they don't want us going into negative culture or pop, then patch it. It's not like you can progress in the game chapter-wise unless you fix the negative pop/culture situation anyway so it's only beneficial in certain limited situations. I mean...hey, if they call for a snow day and I don't see snow outside, I ain't complaining I don't have to go to school that day.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
This makes no sense, If it is built in, then it isn't a cheat. LOL!
If they don't want us going into negative culture or pop, then patch it.
I'm pretty sure it's working as intended. For the first year, maybe 2 that I played, going negative pop/negative culture was a well-known strategy for completing Orcs. There were several threads on the forums and discussions as to how that worked best. Ex: better to upgrade the houses first or wait until the end? better to dump some culture/pop or all pop/less culture since it was also a supplies heavy chapter? This was well before portal profits or any supply instants were introduced.

BrinDarby

The logical conclusion?
going negative pop/negative culture was a well-known strategy for completing Orcs.
Not just guest race Chapters, and Yes Iyapo, you misunderstood me completely.
Its not staying in -pop forever that I'm saying.... what I'm saying is from the ground
up a city is made specifically to use 0 housing, while that player is "parked" . or for
specific events , like FAs.

I'm all for creative solutions within the rules, always have been. If this is the workaround
for all the xtra space required for guest races, for fighters.... cause caterers need coins,
then thats fine.... when its adapted for non guest race chapters it does cause some
"interesting" possibilities I'm not too sure the Devs anticipated. Unintended consequences
don't seem to be the dev's strong suit......

If the game is meant for me to run -3000 pop, and get 35% more stuff, like for an FA
then why not..... So if this is a longtime solution to guest race CHs space req's, kewl .....
just it opens up a very creative way in other chapters to just get........... More for free.

Iyapo1

If this is the workaround for all the xtra space required for guest races, for fighters.... cause caterers need coins,
I cater. I have coin rains, I visit my entire neighborhood every day, and I have a few event buildings and a golden abyss for extra coins. It will work for catering cities too. If it takes too many coin rains for comfort, I can put a few more houses back in.

Iyapo1

Looking at the birds! I cater and I am in chapter 9. If I am reading this correctly:
Aureate Phoenix provides boost to standard goods only(like the mountain halls)?? So limited utility.
Storm Phoenix provides MM %increase so it works on sentient goods and ascended goods?

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@Iyapo1
Storm Phoenix is correct.
I *think* you're correct about Aureate as well, but I've never placed it. I saw somewhere that folks look to it for production/sq of T1 goods at lvl 10 and not so much for the feeding effect. As a fighter, I didn't retain much of that convo, and it would have to give a lot of T1 goods since collections are every 48hrs instead of 24. Depending on what your T1 factories are atm, you might want to look into that more.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Exactly. It's like when Coldfire Phoenix first came out. I fed it and it kept randomly spitting out 11KPs until I got 143KPs from one feed. I just thought it was maybe giving me 11KPs for every ring it passed until it got to my scouted region. I didn't program this. It's how the game behaved. Those are pretty favorable numbers so it's worth it to keep feeding it. Apparently it was a bug and someone had a problem with receiving too many KPs from one feed and reported it. Now it's patched and you get KPs at the start of a scout. The Coldfire is now useless and sold off. If they don't want us going into negative culture or pop, then patch it. It's not like you can progress in the game chapter-wise unless you fix the negative pop/culture situation anyway so it's only beneficial in certain limited situations. I mean...hey, if they call for a snow day and I don't see snow outside, I ain't complaining I don't have to go to school that day.

Not a bug, it just gave the KP at the completion of a Scout, before they changed it to giving the KP when you started a Scout. And a beginner city with a leveled up Coldfire could do a lot of scouting on one feeding. So the longer your scout time, the less KP you would get either way.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I *think* you're correct about Aureate as well, but I've never placed it. I saw somewhere that folks look to it for production/sq of T1 goods at lvl 10 and not so much for the feeding effect. As a fighter, I didn't retain much of that convo, and it would have to give a lot of T1 goods since collections are every 48hrs instead of 24. Depending on what your T1 factories are atm, you might want to look into that more.

My chapter 19 Aureate gives me 102k tier 1 goods every collection, so that is equivalent to 51k every 24 hours. From a 4x4 space. Without an MM, my chapter 19 marble, in a 4x6 space, only gives me about 46k per day, using 1 3-hour and 2 9-hour productions. Plus gives pop and culture and coins, instead of using them. I also never feed the Aureate because I feel the feeding effect is too minor to be worth a pet food.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Looking at the birds! I cater and I am in chapter 9. If I am reading this correctly:
Aureate Phoenix provides boost to standard goods only(like the mountain halls)?? So limited utility.
Storm Phoenix provides MM %increase so it works on sentient goods and ascended goods?

Yep. Feeding the Aureate gives you a bonus to normal boosted goods based on your base production, same as your relic boost and Mountain Halls do. Feeding a Storm boosts any MMs you have active, on any of the three tiers and three types of goods. as in my previous post, I never feed my Aureate because it is out for all the other stuff it gives me.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Not a bug, it just gave the KP at the completion of a Scout, before they changed it to giving the KP when you started a Scout. And a beginner city with a leveled up Coldfire could do a lot of scouting on one feeding. So the longer your scout time, the less KP you would get either way.
I'm only supposed to receive 11KP at the end of a completed scout. Instead, I got 143KPs for one scouted region. It randomly spat out increments of 11KP throughout the scouting period. I thought it was maybe some fuzzy math where I get 11KPs per ring whenever they calculated my scout made it past a ring of provinces away from my city so the further away the scouted provinces was, the more KPs I thought you got. *shrug* I like my hourly KPs. I'm not one of those that keep thousands upon thousands loaded in their KP bar. If I have KPs, I usually spend it right away so my KP bar is usually empty. 11KPs is also a very distinctive number. I'd be just be doing my rounds, then suddenly 11KPs pop into my bar. I think they said the bug had something to do with changing from Map view to City View. Either way, it's patched and when your scout time is longer than a day, the Coldfire grows in uselessness considering how precious pet food is. But for 143KPs, I'd feed the Coldfire.