• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

To Quest or Not to Quest

DeletedUser19723

Looking for advice on the advantage(s) of following the quest lines vs. going along just following the research trees

DeletedUser19723

To quest or not to quest - That is my dilemma.

I've been playing for almost two weeks now. I'm working my way through Chapter 2 of the Research Tree. I know that a lot of quests are required, to be able to move to the next quest. But what do you do when the current quest is out of reach in the near future?

My current quest is to "Gain 5 Steel Relics." I've completed all the provinces near me that have steel. The nearest I can see is out of my reach because I don't have the troops to win the encounters, nor do I have the goods to negotiate for all that I would need to get to the nearest province that is steel. Not even close.

So, do I focus on just that or leave it for now and continue to develop my city and work on research?

Is it possible to play the game without doing the quests? I like the quest rewards, but don't like not having a choice to complete or not complete any given quest.

I understand that the mandated/required quests are supposed to be helping us to develop a balanced and productive city. But doesn't Research guide us through that anyway?

I have more I want to say, but I'm thinking this post is probably too long already.

Thanks for any suggestions.

PS: I love the game except for battling. I'm at the train, fight, lose stage. Fun? Not!

Valtitude

Research or Tech Tree, takes players through the various Chapters and takes the long view of the game. Players fill the branches with Knowledge Points (KPs) to get upgrades for Armories, Culture, Residences, Main Hall, even Troop upgrades.

Quests are used by players daily on the main City screen. Some players set productions for several times each day. By declining and accepting various Quests, players collect extra coins, supplies and goods. The game rewards players if they accept a Quest and complete it. Players can decline a Quest. Cycle through the Quests by declining one after the other. You'll find a series of different Quests that grows and changes as you progress through the Tree. It is not necessary to accept each Quest as it's offered.

You absolutely can skip that Collect 5 Steel Relics Quest until you've progressed enough to accept it, or you move through the Research/ Tech Tree and the Quests change.

I wrote this to answer your first post, so take that into consideration. It's a general idea of the differences between Quests and Research/ Tech Tree. You can play the game as you want to, but if growing your City and perhaps gaining rank is important to you, you'll want to use both the Research/ Tech Tree and follow the Quest lines. Hope this makes sense.

There's a website called GamersGemsOfKnowledge.com that can be very helpful with all kinds of information and tactics.

Last edited:

DeletedUser19723

@Valtitude
You wrote: You absolutely can skip that Collect 5 Steel Relics Quest until you've progressed enough to accept it, or you move through the Research/ Tech Tree and the Quests change.

Did you mean to say "can't" skip? I would love to skip this quest, but I don't have a Decline button.

DeletedUser12430

I would tell you to not skip any. There are some areas where the quest asks you to sale a portal. It gives a large amount of coins, but if you start skipping quests, then you may end up with the option to sale your portal when you are already in the next chapter and have done so long ago. Some of them are a pain, but I myself have followed them and dont think that by skipping them you advance any quicker.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
You can see a list of quests HERE if you want.

The easiest way to get those Steel relics is in the tournament starting next Tuesday.

In the early chapters, I wouldn't worry too much about getting stuck in the questline as you will eventually complete that one quest which is holding you back, and then basically auto-complete 8-9 in a row. So don't sweat it if you can't do one right now, but also don't ignore it if you can do it.

DeletedUser19723

I would tell you to not skip any. There are some areas where the quest asks you to sale a portal. It gives a large amount of coins, but if you start skipping quests, then you may end up with the option to sale your portal when you are already in the next chapter and have done so long ago. Some of them are a pain, but I myself have followed them and dont think that by skipping them you advance any quicker.

Thanks for the advice. I really don't especially want to skip any, but I do find it frustrating that most of the quests in the main quest line can't be skipped. The one I'm stuck on will sit there for a long time. It's the 5 steel relics one. I'm sure that a month from now it will be doable, but not now. I'd love to be able to have a choice to postpone it and move on. Steel is my first boosted good. I did all of them. There is no steel anywhere near where I am. I can do all the other goods, but not steel. Arrgh!

DeletedUser19723

You can see a list of quests HERE if you want.

The easiest way to get those Steel relics is in the tournament starting next Tuesday.

In the early chapters, I wouldn't worry too much about getting stuck in the questline as you will eventually complete that one quest which is holding you back, and then basically auto-complete 8-9 in a row. So don't sweat it if you can't do one right now, but also don't ignore it if you can do it.

Is the next tournament steel? I didn't think it was. Can I get the steel relics if I just do the tournament myself? I know you said I really should be in a fellowship. I've looked, and looked.......and looked. I can't seem to find one that would be right for my level in the game. I'm not ready for a power FS. I need to accrue more goods, coins, and troops. I know trading is important in a FS. I check the trader a few times a day and laugh. Seriously! I'm lucky if I can meet one of the requested trades, and I'd be losing goods I need to progress in knowledge.

I think I have "new player syndrome." I want to be further along than I am or realistically should be.

DeletedUser19723

An answer from anyone, please.

Is there anything that cannot be unlocked unless a quest is completed? Not saying I want to do this. Just curious as to whether one could play the game entirely without completing a quest.

Sorry. I'll probably be banned from this forum soon for asking too many questions. :eek:

SoggyShorts

Sorry. I'll probably be banned from this forum soon for asking too many questions. :eek:
Never! New blood keeps the game alive and makes the veterans feel smart.

You can get by ignoring the quests, but it's less fun IMO. Next week is steel, and all you have to do it start your own FS if you haven't found one. You can disband it without any penalty anytime you want.

DeletedUser19723

Hmmm.....You'll be sorry you basically gave me carte blanche on questions.

1. Since I'm so hesitant to join a fellowship (I've been invited to three), what about making my own to get the feel of it first? I just got a message about a tournament starting tomorrow. Would that be a good way to jump into tournaments to see if I even like them? I sure don't want to join a fellowship and find that the members love them and I don't.

2. Is there a way to gauge if I'm making decent progress on my city? This is day 14. I have 15,303 ranking points. I have 16 plots of land. I'm making good progress on Chapter 2 Research. I feel like I'm so far behind. I try to visit all my neighbors every day. Some have amazing cities. Yesterday I saw someone with a Mother Dragon. Would I ever love that! I have a "thing" for dragons.

SoggyShorts

1. Yep, do it, try it out.

2. It sounds like you are making good progress. The thing that will hold you back the most at this point will probably be trading. You'll notice that your steel factories make WAY more than your plank and marbles; this is because you are a steel "boosted" city. You can see you boosts in the relics tab of your Mainhall, or by pressing the hotkey "S"
After you build the trader, you should only have boosted factories, and trade your goods with players who have different boosts.
Using 30 pop and 15 culture to make 50 planks per day instead of making 200 steel is bad.
You may be able to do get enough trades with your neighbors if you are in a lucky part of the map, but you'd be much better off...wait for it.... in a FS.;)

Last edited:

ChiefObie

Found this is another thread:
Once you unlock the advance scout for the next chapter all previous chapter quests will be declinable.

Is it necessary to complete the chapter quests AND complete the tech tree to complete a chapter? In other words, is it possible to progress through the game doing only the research but ignoring the quests?

DeletedUser19723

Found this is another thread:

Is it necessary to complete the chapter quests AND complete the tech tree to complete a chapter? In other words, is it possible to progress through the game doing only the research but ignoring the quests?

I'm still pretty new in this game, but I believe the answer is no. You can go through the tech tree, completing research, as the tree allows, i.e. the green lines connecting techs. Eventually, you'll complete the research that your non-declinable quest is showing on your city screen. You'll see the "green check thing" by the quest. When you click and gather the rewards, you may end up getting a whole lot of rewards for quests you've completed that came after the one you just completed. I'm finding myself, that I don't always want to complete the techs in the order of the quests. I think they are there to guide you along in the order the game feels is most doable. The order you complete them is not set in stone by the order of the quests as they appear. If you need further info, please don't hesitate to ask.

DeletedUser3507

The answer is yes I did it in chapter 13 I have a LGN to prove it..
Screenshot-117.png
Screenshot-116.png
Spoilers for @SoggyShorts lol...:D

Last edited by a moderator: