• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

To Sell Or Not To Sell.. That Is The Question

Gath Of Baal

My first city that I started the game with is on Khelonaar and even though I have neglected it over the years, it still holds that sentimental value to me of being my first

My first Ancient Wonder that I built was on Khelonaar and it was the Crystal Lighthouse, so it too holds some sentimental value to me.

For the past month I have been trying to work up the courage to sell my first Ancient Wonder on my first city.. I have played Devils Advocate in my head many times with the pros and cons of the Crystal Lighthouse, and everything points towards selling it.

I have actually decided to sell it several times but every time I hover the $ over it, I chicken out :( .. My Lighthouse is only level 9 but thinking about the huge number of knowledge points I dumped into it over the years always makes me change my mind. I do not know the exact number of points invested into it (Maybe a mathematician can figure it out for me) but its got to be a pretty significant number..

I went through this same process with my Wonky Walters. at the time it was completely useless and it took me weeks to finally sell it.. Not long after I sold it the Royal Restoration spell came out, and I have been cursing my decision ever since. I am not saying that I think they will fix the Crystal Lighthouse nerf ever, but the feeling of it being gone might be the same

Now with my Crystal Lighthouse, I do not really need the room in my city right now, but since I have started playing my first city heavily again, I know I will need the room in the future to be able to grow.

Should I just rip the band aid off and just sell it or should I hold onto it? Should I keep it until I actually need the space in my city (which might make it harder for me to sell it in the future)

Last edited:

Deleted User - 3932582

L9 Crystal Lighthouse requires 2,735 KPs + 2 sets of runes. But this is irrelevant, it is a sunk cost - it is one time cost and you can't recover it. You need to be thinking about your maintenance costs, and in this case it means occupied space. Think about it this way - if you have a similar city without CL today, and someone gifts you an L9 CL for free - will you place it?

If the answer is yes, then keep it - you derive more benefit from it than the space it occupies. If the answer is no, it is not worth the space and you can sell it. However, I see no benefit of selling it if you don't use this space for something better. You can always sell when the time comes, but you can't revert that decision easily.

TL;DR: I'd keep it if you really don't need the space now, and sell it as soon as you will be tight on space and you have something better suited for your city to occupy the area.

shimmerfly

If this is a vote I say keep it for now.
I went through this same process with my Wonky Walters. at the time it was completely useless and it took me weeks to finally sell it.. Not long after I sold it the Royal Restoration spell came out, and I have been cursing my decision ever since. I am not saying that I think they will fix the Crystal Lighthouse nerf ever, but the felling of it being gone might be the same

Now with my Crystal Lighthouse, I do not really need the room in my city right now

Pheryll

Set Designer
The crystal lighthouse is a wonder that supports other wonders by increasing the polishing time. Right now this feeds into the following wonders:

Watchtower Ruins: Culture bonus from polishing
Lighthouse of Good Neighborhood: Mana bonus from polishing

Currently there are problems with both. With culture, the late game focuses on wonder production of supplies over workshop, and supplies from event buildings often go to a bonus (set bonus, evolution bonus) that acts independently of culture. The gold, while useful for KP purchases, is not the main reason most spend points on the lighthouse. With mana, set bonuses and evolution bonuses are taking over that area as well; for me less than 1/4 of my mana production would be affected by the lighthouse of good neighborhood.

As a support wonder, things could very well change and new wonders that this can support well could show up, or the general balancing and use of culture and mana may change in the future. This building has remarkable potential from many possible decisions that the game developers could make.

Last edited: