• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

To Spend or to Save

DeletedUser19723

Please, I am in need of help in this. I'm in the middle of Chapter 3. I find that I am always hindered by the lack of goods needed to build, upgrade, finish provinces, and complete quests. All my workshops and factories run 24/7. I can't get more supplies and goods by upgrading because I don't have needed supplies to do it. I feel like I am in an endless loop of gain, spend, gain, spend. Yes, I am using the Trader. Unfortunately, I'm limited by what I have to trade. Back again to the fact that I'm always scrambling for goods and supplies. What am I doing wrong? Should I just slow down and spend a week or so gaining materials? I honestly don't know. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DeletedUser2768

I took the liberty of rearranging your city some. (https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/4e9118d2bd294ce382aa9158033f77a9/) All the stuff off the grid in the top left corner is stuff I'd sell off. It's not worth the space it's taking up.

After this event, the first thing I'd do is ditch the non boosted factories (your boosts are steel, scrolls, elixir). They are sucking resources you don't have. To up your surplus, I'd also run spells on your factories to up their production. Also, get your culture to 150% or higher, that will also give your factories a boost that will up your surplus.

You're at a hard stage right now: finding the balance between spending and saving. Keep slogging through, it WILL get better.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence

DeletedUser14960

if you have the time

doing shorter production runs will produce more goods but you need to keep them going as soon as a 3 hr run is done reset it and do it again .

set 9 hr runs for while you sleep etc

same goes for workshops if you can babysit then here and there shorter runs produce more

if you have the app for your phone set an alarm timer to reset etc

the more effort you put in the more you gain but there are limits to how much time we can spend playing

if you need extra coin and supplies cycle the daily tasks to take full advantage of only the ones that apply to you its a repeatable list that will cycle around and around after 8 tasks ie the list will grow longer as you get further into the game but while new its an easy bust for extra coin and supplies .

also keep going out to the main map and visit everyone you can as the more visits you make the more you benefit ie extra coin when others return visits you will get the golden hands and if you visit them you will also receive extra supplies .

as soggy says also ditch any unboosted goods as you trade and produce more than you need of your boosted goods to trade for the unboosted you need

hope these few tips help you out some

keith

DeletedUser2959

Join a Fellowship. Your mates will help you with trades. This is very very important.
Do NOT make non-boosted goods.
Ditch your old culture.
Open up as much map as you can to increase your trading partners. If you have a big player near you try sending them a mail and asking for some help. Most people will be glad to give you 4:1 on your goods to help out. Do not get frustrated if you get no reply. This game is full of abandoned cities.

DeletedUser19723

I took the liberty of rearranging your city some. (https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/4e9118d2bd294ce382aa9158033f77a9/) All the stuff off the grid in the top left corner is stuff I'd sell off. It's not worth the space it's taking up.

After this event, the first thing I'd do is ditch the non boosted factories (your boosts are steel, scrolls, elixir). They are sucking resources you don't have. To up your surplus, I'd also run spells on your factories to up their production. Also, get your culture to 150% or higher, that will also give your factories a boost that will up your surplus.

You're at a hard stage right now: finding the balance between spending and saving. Keep slogging through, it WILL get better.

Thanks, RosehawkATA. I think I'm at a hard stage, for sure. Part of my problem, too, is not wanting to part with things, even if it's "for my own good." I looked at what you thought I should get rid of. Why the small culture items? I just use them as filler in spaces that have nothing. I can dump them if need the spaces. I see you think one Armory should go. I have 3 because of a few quests that asked for them to be built and upgraded. I can get rid of one, but not until I have the other two leveled up enough to compensated for the lost 16 training size - right?

Using spells is something I've been avoiding, other than some short instants. I don't have a ton, so then I'll be caught in a cycle of obtain them/use them. As far as I can see, the best way to get a steady supply spells is - 1 or 2 a day from visiting, from tournaments & events, and by crafting them. Crafting spells uses relics. Collecting lots of relics requires opening provinces. And that requires coins, goods, and supplies. I can't fight because all the available provinces I have are "very hard." My troops can't win. As an aside - I sure hope there isn't another province category called "Almost impossible."

I'm not sure why it's planned this way in the game, but I don't understand why upgrading the Main Hall is behind when you need it to be upgraded. I have a problem with goods, but not coins or supplies. I'm always having to spend them on things in a hurry because I've reached the max. I needed my MH to be at Level 10 over a week ago. I'm still not up to it in my Research.

Sorry to be so long.:(

DeletedUser19723

I know we've talked about this... you really need to ditch those non-boosted.
Every building that isn't your boosted is killing your production.

Lose the non-boosted and use that pop to upgrade your boosted to max. It;s that simple.

Edit: @RosehawkATA seems to have beat me to it:D
Edit 2: so I stole the above design and upgraded your factories
https://www.elvenarchitect.com/city/planner/46e431bab50d4846b7b416116a94c24c/

I know, I know......I can just see you shaking your head as you read my initial post, thinking, "I told her so."
It's not the pop that's hindering me in upgrading so much as the required goods. I can see the point of needing pop, coin, supplies, and the goods that said factory is producing. It's the rest of the requirement that makes me crazy. The other required goods are not ones I have in any large number, even with a beg, borrow or steal plan. Neighbors and FS members are helpful, but it still comes down to always needing those non-boosted goods. Granted, I don't produce them myself in any great quantity. I still think that the produce/upgrade cycle is tricky.
I think what you are saying about the non-boosted buildings is correct. I could just keep one of each, not at a high level? They are cute. No comment needed here :):)

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
@SherG26
I know you've been hesitant to look for a new fellowship, feeling as though you don't have much to offer right now. But you have reached a point in the game where you really need to revisit that. Your problem with goods and not being able to trade for your non-boosted is your FS. 8 out of 22 members are inactive; 1 of those since last March, a couple since August/September and the rest for at least a month! When you land on an inactive portion of the map (neighbors who aren't really playing either) you're essentially playing solo with no trading partners! There may be some nice folks in there you don't want to leave. Try to start a discussion about clearing out the dead weight and recruiting active replacements. That is a long, slow, tedious process, but would be preferable to watching the remaining members dwindle from lack of interest. If that is the course you choose, look at it as playing solo with a few good neighbors, because that's all you've really got.
There are persons who play solo, just know that it is going to be harder. Yes, it's doable, and some folks enjoy the challenge. I'd tear my hair out! Those Trading Merchants you can craft are a better use of space for more non-boosted goods if solo is the way you're going. Maybe try to win some event prizes specifically to disenchant for the fragments you need to make them as they randomly appear? But, if solo is not your goal, now is the time to find an active FS. You will be an asset to them, believe that! Active newbie, visiting regularly, asking questions, placing trades? More, please.

DeletedUser19723

@SherG26
I know you've been hesitant to look for a new fellowship, feeling as though you don't have much to offer right now. But you have reached a point in the game where you really need to revisit that. Your problem with goods and not being able to trade for your non-boosted is your FS. 8 out of 22 members are inactive; 1 of those since last March, a couple since August/September and the rest for at least a month! When you land on an inactive portion of the map (neighbors who aren't really playing either) you're essentially playing solo with no trading partners! There may be some nice folks in there you don't want to leave. Try to start a discussion about clearing out the dead weight and recruiting active replacements. That is a long, slow, tedious process, but would be preferable to watching the remaining members dwindle from lack of interest. If that is the course you choose, look at it as playing solo with a few good neighbors, because that's all you've really got.
There are persons who play solo, just know that it is going to be harder. Yes, it's doable, and some folks enjoy the challenge. I'd tear my hair out! Those Trading Merchants you can craft are a better use of space for more non-boosted goods if solo is the way you're going. Maybe try to win some event prizes specifically to disenchant for the fragments you need to make them as they randomly appear? But, if solo is not your goal, now is the time to find an active FS. You will be an asset to them, believe that! Active newbie, visiting regularly, asking questions, placing trades? More, please.

Thanks for your input, sami (okay to shorten it?). This is a lot to think about. I had a difficult time deciding if I wanted to be in a fellowship. Yes, I wanted to help, share, chat, etc. No, I didn't want demanding, criticism, do it or else. Now that I'm in a FS, I know it is fun and that I definitely want to be in one. Currently, my FS has 4 players, counting me, that do help, share, etc. I feel that I want beyond what this FS has to offer, but..... how do you not hurt members' feelings. You've followed my posts (and thanks for that :) ) so you know I don't criticize and I'm not negative. I believe in respect and kindness. As I said, a lot to think about. Thanks for reading, stay tuned.

DeletedUser20396

And if you do search for a new fellowship, the forum is a great place to do it. There is a place where you can go and see who is recruiting. I got a invite from two FS in the beginning, and I chose one that had Irish in the name. Some of the same blood. I have loved it since. But, Just Like Every Other FS, We Have People Who Are Not Doing Anything! I agree with whoever said it, "A active fellowship is better." I'm new, so I can't give you the best advice of experience, but I did do the no spending, negotiating, or fighting, until I reached a point where I like being. That's what I've got for you, hope it helps. And Merry Christmas.

DeletedUser19723

This is actually easier than you think: Take them with you.
There is for sure a FS with 15-21 active members that would love to add 4 more active members to the roster.

I must be missing something. How do you know if members are active in a fellowship if it's not your own? I chose a FS that I thought had "all the right ingredients." Five days on it, and I was wondering. I need to go back and search FSes(?) because I must not have been seeing everything that it says.

Take them with me? I'm not the pied piper. Besides, one of the other 3 is the Archmage. The fellowship description is what I thought I was getting. And I don't think I've been in it long enough to suggest she change the FS description, or that she should motivate her inactive members.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
How do you know if members are active in a fellowship if it's not your own?
www.elvenstats.com
inactive2.jpg

DeletedUser19723

@samidodamage

You mentioned Traveling Merchants. I read that as, "Huh?" so I Googled it. It doesn't say anywhere that they can be crafted, only that they were a daily prize for a prior event Rise of the Phoenix. There are different levels of them even. I'd love to have one... or more.
So of course then I Googled the Phoenix event. I sure wish I had been playing then. I've seen some of those buildings doing visits. Amazing!

DeletedUser14960

hi there

not sure what realm your in but as soggy and sami says look for a new FS group and all you and your active friends move together .

if you are having problems with trades etc a good group will solve all your probs and you will not regret it

look in the forum worlds for FS that are looking for new members and just post a reply asking if they will take you all as you say there is only a few of you that are still active

The best thing i did when i first started was to join a group and found most had become inactive and no longer playing then someone came along and asked if i would be interested in joining another group ,i didnt want to let down or leave the active friends i had made so i contacted them all and we all found new groups and still keep intouch here and there till this day ie a couple only had phone app so cant do message so they gone but all the others i can still keep upto date with .

once you join a very active group that is pretty well balanced it will be the best move you ever made .

then just over produce your boosted goods and trade for everything else you need ....YOU WONT LOOK BACK

Good luck

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser19723

hi there

not sure what realm your in but as soggy and sam says look for a new FS group and all you and your active friends move together .

if you are having problems with trades etc a good group will solve all your probs and you will not regret it

look in the forum worlds for FS that are looking for new members and just post a reply asking if they will take you all as you say there is only a few of you that are still active

The best thing i did when i first started was to join a group and found most had become inactive and no longer playing then someone came along and asked if i would be interested in joining another group ,i didnt want to let down or leave the active friends i had made so i contacted them all and we all found new groups and still keep intouch here and there till this day ie a couple only had phone app so cant do message so they gone but all the others i can still keep upto date with .

once you join a very active group that is pretty well balanced it will be the best move you ever made .

then just over produce your boosted goods and trade for everything else you need ....YOU WONT LOOK BACK

Good luck

Keith

Thank you, Keith. Nice encouraging words and good suggestions. :cool::) I do love this forum!

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
You mentioned Traveling Merchants.
They were previously available in events, but with the introduction of Crafting, it appears they will only be available if you craft them. The objects available to craft come up randomly. I've seen all the TM's (there are 3, one for each tier of goods) show up in mine of course (because I don't want them, lol!). Just keep checking your available objects for crafting (they change every 8 hrs). Once you're in an active FS, you can just sell them off and use the space for other stuff 'cause you won't need them anymore!
Oh, and yes, sami is fine, don't mind nicknames at all!

Last edited:

DeletedUser2768

Several points I want to address here, in no particular order.

1) I say get rid of the small culture because they're not worth it. If you're using them for filler, it's not as vital to get rid of them YET, but you will want to chuck them sooner rather than later. When building culture buildings, look at the culture per square value, not just the number given in the blurb. I also get the attachment to some buildings. I have a Purple Phoenix Egg from that event. I was in Chapter 5 then. I'm now in Chapter 10 (maybe higher) and I still have that building. Purple is my favorite color and even though it's nearly useless to me now, I can't get myself to demolish it.

Example:
Luminous Sign Post: 1x1, gives 21 culture = 21 culture per square that can't be buffed by neighbors/fellowship
Flying Boat: 3x3, gives 250 culture = 28 culture per square that CAN be buffed by neighbors/fellowship

Formula: Total Culture divided by total number of squares building takes up

2) Fellowship hopping. If you let your archmage know that you're moving on to a fellowship that will better meet your play style, they shouldn't have too big of an issue. I've had several players move on from my fellowship because they wanted more/different that what I was expecting from my players. Like in many aspects of life, communication is key.

3) Take actives with you. I've had members from a dead fellowship join en masse. As long as there's room, all of you will be welcomed with open arms. Speaking as an archmage, I'd rather have a fellowship full of new, eager players than old hands that don't care any more. You are a breath of fresh air.

4) Ask as many questions as you want. You are learning and heeding the advice of us old hands. Many of us that have been here a while don't mind passing on our knowledge, especially if it helps new players avoid the traps that we fell into going through the chapters.