• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Top Tourney/Spire Players & Pressure to gain weekly gold

DeletedUser27062

@CrazyWizard I find I have an abundance of spell fragments just from doing the Spire weekly. I don't have the hundreds of thousands that others have, but after just 3 weeks of Spire I have close to 20k fragments.
You can't rely on the spire for anything. I know loads of people who have over 100k frags but my ch 8 city has only 350 even though I complete the spire every week without fail. In other cities I am one of the 100k+

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I agree with your response in general but not with this last line. Humans work harder for longer when rewards are unreliable (and Inno knows this). We are hard-wired to be fueled by hope, to strive for a 'maybe' not a given. It's the anticipation of reward that triggers dopamine, not the receipt of it.

Depends on the generation and why this game has always seemed to be aimed more at older players, than young ones. This game has always been designed as a marathon, not a sprint, and not for the "I want it now" younger generations. This is a big part of the reason for all the abandoned chapter 1 cities. No patience or ability to wait for things to progress.

Aritra

Depends on the generation and why this game has always seemed to be aimed more at older players, than young ones. This game has always been designed as a marathon, not a sprint, and not for the "I want it now" younger generations. This is a big part of the reason for all the abandoned chapter 1 cities. No patience or ability to wait for things to progress.
It's interesting you say that. Is it aimed at older players? Your reasoning has merit. To be honest, I never really thought about it regarding my expectations or assumptions, yet somehow I was surprised as I discovered more and more "older" players (stereotype much? sorry). This has made me curious about the actual player demographics (which of course Inno would have). It could also be argued that my perception is skewed because the demographics of forum participation does not reflect demographics of player-base as a whole... which just makes me even more curious. (Anyone know if Inno shares demographics, if it's possible to view?)

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
@Aritra InnoG does put some suprising information in trade magazines, and then there is the report to the owners of their company. You may find some of the answers in a detailed net search.

CrazyWizard

Oh Wise One
@CrazyWizard I find I have an abundance of spell fragments just from doing the Spire weekly. I don't have the hundreds of thousands that others have, but after just 3 weeks of Spire I have close to 20k fragments.

It depends on your crafting habit, if you are an active crafter (lets say make all large timeboosters, petfood and combat buildings you encounter in the academy) then on average a full spire will not give you enough spell fragments to keep crafting, each week you are a few K short.

Off course if you craft a lot less or not at all, the spell fragments will pile up. but for active crafters additional sources of spellfragments are required.

crackie

Chef, Scroll-Keeper, Buddy's #1 Fan
Is it aimed at older players? Your reasoning has merit. To be honest, I never really thought about it regarding my expectations or assumptions, yet somehow I was surprised as I discovered more and more "older" players (stereotype much? sorry). This has made me curious about the actual player demographics (which of course Inno would have). It could also be argued that my perception is skewed because the demographics of forum participation does not reflect demographics of player-base as a whole...
I joke that my fellowship is in a cigar bar somewhere on an army base. It’s full of retirees and veterans telling us “youngins” to get off their lawn. They tell us about how back in the day, they had to march uphills both ways in the snow to complete a tourney encounter using only one training slot to make soldiers. We are also not allowed to talk about work in chat because it triggers PTSD in retirees. The youngest in our midst is a grad student and we call her the baby of the group. If they didn’t already have grey hair, they do now bc a bunch of us with bird portraits keep squawking in the chat and talking like chickens.

Alram

Flippers just flip
Depends on the generation and why this game has always seemed to be aimed more at older players, than young ones. This game has always been designed as a marathon, not a sprint, and not for the "I want it now" younger generations. This is a big part of the reason for all the abandoned chapter 1 cities. No patience or ability to wait for things to progress
Are you suggesting that us older people have mastered the virtue of patience? I'm just going to go die laughing now...

Kekune

We used an alternating schedule to make the jump from high silver to regular gold. That is, we agreed that this week was gold, next week we'd settle for silver, etc.

This (a) showed a commitment that we'd get there eventually, so folks who wanted gold were more willing to have patience in the process, (b) avoided disappointment from unexpectedly missing gold one week, so nobody left impulsively out of frustration, and (c) let everybody who needed breaks have breaks. Folks who didn't want to do it moved along, and eventually we were suddenly getting gold even on our scheduled silver weeks.

Granted, we did all of this a while ago when there weren't many gold groups to jump to. I can see the dynamic is likely different now. The overwhelming majority of our applicants come to us specifically seeking gold, but most of the groups they're leaving don't seem like they're anywhere close. I've only had a few where I thought they should honestly just ride it out until their group got there.

DeletedUser27062

Biology is biology regardless of generation and the scientific research that supports the 'inconsistent reward' idea I posed was tested on "I want it now" university students. I'm actually really surprised to see this type of response from you, Enevhar. I've always thought you to be one of the more level-headed participants on this forum and certainly not one to get caught up in overly simplistic stereotypes.

The abandoned cities are due to people who don't enjoy the game for whatever reason. Perhaps they were lured to the game after seeing one of Inno's unrecognizable game promos only to be highly disappointed that the game is nothing like the promo. Perhaps they had more common sense than us and cut their losses early. Either way, criticizing an entire generation as having "No patience or ability to wait for things to progress" is unfair and inaccurate.

crackie

samidodamage said:
If it was me, I'd be laughing and saying 'Awww, the grandkids are so cute!' ;)
We're plotting a coup...or is it...coop?
elfgame.png

crackie

Underbirds. I like it.
The coup appears to be successful! Since revealing the FA theme to be "The Birds", we've had 3 more players drink the bird kool-aid, including our Archmage, who had prior to been threatening us with his birdshot. Originally, I thought we'd give them a chance to virtually kill us in our internal FA competition for putting up with weeks of our squawking, but the flock has grown to 12 strong! We're not the underbirds anymore! Now we'll have to see how this movie plays out. Watch out, townies!

Also, to bring things back on topic, the discussion to go for gold in the Spire has been rekindled and there is growing interest! Birds of a feather flock together. Our chance at gold is no longer dead as a dodo. I'm happy as a lark! And I'm out of bird puns...I'll sing my swan song and show myself out. Bwaaak!

(sometimes working from home does not produce the most productive or focused work...)

Birds_ashen_sm.png

crackie

CrazyWizard said:
slightly dissapointed you did not change your forum avatar ;)
Haha, it’s a very polarizing picture in the FS. Some refuse to even claim it on principle bc of how dumb it is and others think if people use it, Inno will think it was such a good idea and give out portraits for prizes again (too late). Most of us using it don’t particularly love it either, but are just making salty lemonade with electrolytes out of the sweat and tears of 75 quests. The flock would rather be in a...*ahem*...fowl mood and roll with the punches by turning our frowns upside down. I’m trying to be a helpful member of the forum community here, and I don’t think being an instigator of aviary terror will assist in achieving that goal, but I will change my forum avatar to the chicken from Chicken Run for the time being. :)