• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tournament Changes - Community Feedback and Data

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
In tracking our fellowship before and after I am pleased to say that we didn't loose ground and stayed, overall at the same level. Our smaller members report that they tournament is easier and they are able to go deeper into it. This has allowed our top players to relax more and now we can consider becoming an 11 Chest fellowship. Thus, in my opinion it has become a more balanced tournament where fellowships at a lower average level should be able to complete all 10 chests, or at least more than they achieved before.

AJ

sam767

Silk tournament update (3rd post). Short story:
My @minimax CAL is 8753. CH17 early.
9828 probable top 10. Been there, done that under the old system
Boosts: DA, UUU, 2xELR, MMM
Started out to do 32x6 then added 18x2 out of boredom.
I still vastly prefer this format. As does my entire FS.
It seems like Inno has been force feeding tournament related recipes.100% supply, pet food, combat buildings. Clearly, these + the DA are critical for sustained, superior tournament performance.
Army Camp status.

Attachments

• 30x6.jpg
    30x6.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 127

Shyama1

After complaining to the Support about the new tourney system, I've been kindly invited to post my data here, so here I am.

My Data:

442 mandatory researches completed [updated]
120 non-premium expansions (including initial 6) [updated]
37 Premium expansions
900 Ancient Wonders levels

I have Fire Phoenix Stage 10 and 5 Stage 10 Brown Bears.
I have no tourney cooldown, allowing me to use the same boosts for 2 Tourneys and 2 Spire Runs.

My initial Squadsize (province 1 @ round 1) is 2,405 [updated]

Tourney is done fighting only, I never cater. (After the Tourney changes, I had to cater a few provinces after getting a defeat. I never got defeats with Old Tourney system)
I usually have on average 1 DA + 1UUU + 2 or 3ELR + 2 or 3MMM + Fire Phoenix as boosts

Difficulty:

To give you a rough idea, to me, tourney province 20* is harder than top of Spire:
Top of Spire: My SS: 66,912 - Opponent SS: 63,667
Province 20*: My SS: 44,820 - Opponent SS: 68,127
Note that the comparison is made on opponent SS, but in Top of Spire, my SS is ~the same as Opponent SS, while in tourney province 20*, my SS is only 2/3 of Opponents SS. Taking into account the Own/Opponent SS ratio, I would rather say that, to me, tourney province 15* is same difficulty as Top of Spire.

Wich matches the fact I start getting unexpected troops losses around tourney province 20*, or province 15****** where my SS is 33,615 and Opponent SS is 44,708

The difficulty comes from the combination of 3 things:
- a high initial squadsize due to having all expansions (except the 2 Premium released with Ch.17), Maxed out AWs, and beeing at mid-Chapter 17. All Own and Opponent squadsizes for any province and round are calculated from this initial squadsize.
- the very fast increase of own squadsize calculated as initial SS x (Province+Round-1)
- the even faster increase of opponent squadsize. I have no formula here, but to give and idea:
Opponent SS = Own SS at Province 8*
Opponent SS = 1.5x Own SS at province 20*
Opponent SS = 2x Own SS at province 34*

Lastly, Chapter 17 increases a lot this already very high difficulty, without giving any compensation in the form of troops promotion or military AWs. I can already feel the difference beeing at mid-Chapter. To me, it is just a nonsense that progressing in the game (aka completing Chapter 17) will only result in worst tourney performances that are already terribly affected by the new tourney system.

Result:

It is 2 years I am #1 player on US7 (current score is 3.2M) [updated]
It is more than 2 years I WAS ranked #1 every tourney.
With the previous tourney system, I was able to do ALL my provinces(75-80) @ 6 rounds for a score of ~20K in a sustainable way and while still increasing my troops reserve, which means I was producing more troops than I was using.

Since the new tourney system, I can hardly do more than 20 provinces for a score of 5400 in a sutainable way, which puts me down to rankings page 10~15.
The reason is I'm getting HUGE troops losses (and even some defeats) on fights that used to be easy and even lossless (or almost).

I just see some player noticed my issue:
The top player in Ceravyn (@Shyama1 @2.4M) was routinely the top tournament player (19 armories?). Now she is toward the bottom of the first page (8K+). Overall, the first page of the tournament results looks familiar, filled with top level players. She was clearly hurt by the change.
(Note to sam67: I am male)

What used to be called progression (aka completing researches) must now be called regression. I am currently at mid-Chapter 17 and still working on it. Why ? Probably out of habit. I shouldn't, this is just suicide, as the ONLY result will be making much harder tournaments that are already tremendsouly hard. For this reason I no longer enjoy completing this new chapter, it is not longer a pleasure to play, but a stressing duty. With the Old Tourney system, I would have only Small Ships and do 15mins Guest Goods productions all day long. Due to the New tournament system, I have 3 (max) of each Large Ships and am doing mostly 9 hours productions.

I used to enjoy tournaments a lot. For the all the above mentionned reasons I no longer enjoy doing tournaments.

Then I say to myself... wait... this is a game, isn't it supposed to be relaxing and give me pleasure ?

What's left ? The Spire. 20 mins / week.
And some strong friendships with my FS members and other players. I think that's the only reason why I'm still there.
In my initial ticket to the Support, my main question was "CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHY I SHOULD KEEP PLAYING THIS GAME ?"

Thanks @Nightguest and @helya for starting this thread, please let me know if you need any additional info.

Shyama1

EDIT2

Adding my Tournament History (Elvenstats data) and will keep updated (last update: 2021-02-02)

tourney-history-20210202.png

A few explanations are needed here:

- Between mid 2019 and mid 2020, some tourneys show very low score, or no score at all. This is due to Elvenstats failing to retrieve data. This occured from time to time and happened to last a few days up to more than a week. It seems the issue has been fixed mid-2020

- New tourneys are those in the dark blue frame

- As you can see, I managed decent scores on the first 2 tourneys (Marble: 21,870 and Steel: 17,550). This was made possible because I had a huge troops stock (~2000 Squads of each Barracks units, 1000+ Squads of each other units). But I got quite a lot of defeats on high provinces doing those 2 first tourneys. I catered every lost fight (I never lost a fight with the old tourney system) and these first 2 tourney with the new system just ate all my troops. Past that point, my score reflects what I can do in an (almost) sustainable way. Almost because I had to use my 5 Brown Bears more often than I used to, thus depleting my Pet Food stock (I am down from 100+ Pet Food to 63 and can't keep using my Brown Bears that often or I will run out of Pet Foods soon).

EDIT1

I just thougt posting some battle results of both ancient tourney and new tourney system may help you understand better my issue with new tourney system, as they give facts and numbers, so here are some battle results of old tourney system. Format is Tourney-YYWW where YY is the year and WW is the week of the year.

Tourney-1912-Marble-Round-2-Province-41-Battle-4
Tourney-1912-Marble-Round-2-Province-41-Battle-4.png

Tourney-1912-Marble-Round-2-Province-55-Battle-4
Tourney-1912-Marble-Round-2-Province-55-Battle-4.png

Tourney-1904-Steel-Round-5-Province-60-Battle-4
Tourney-1904-Steel-Round-5-Province-60-Battle-4.png

Tourney-1904-Steel-Round-5-Province-59-Battle-3
Tourney-1904-Steel-Round-5-Province-59-Battle-3.png

Tourney-1941-Planks-Round-1-Province-51-Battle-4
Tourney-1941-Planks-Round-1-Province-51-Battle-4.png

Tourney-1941-Planks-Round-1-Province-50-Battle-4
Tourney-1941-Planks-Round-1-Province-50-Battle-4.png

Tourney-1942-Crystal-Round-2-Province-33-Battle-2
Tourney-1942-Crystal-Round-2-Province-33-Battle-2.png

Tourney-1915-Crystal-Round-2-Province-47-Battle-3
Tourney-1915-Crystal-Round-2-Province-47-Battle-3.png

Tourney-1916-Scrolls-Round-1-Province-43-Battle-2
Tourney-1916-Scrolls-Round-1-Province-43-Battle-2.png

Tourney-1916-Scrolls-Round-1-Province-42-Battle-3
Tourney-1916-Scrolls-Round-1-Province-42-Battle-3.png

Tourney-1926-Silk-Round-5-Province-49-Battle-1
Tourney-1926-Silk-Round-5-Province-49-Battle-1.png

Tourney-1917-Silk-Round-1-Province-50-Battle-4
Tourney-1917-Silk-Round-1-Province-50-Battle-4.png

Tourney-1927-Elixir-Round-1-Province-50-Battle-3
Tourney-1927-Elixir-Round-1-Province-50-Battle-3.png

Tourney-1936-Elixir-Round-5-Province-48-Battle-4
Tourney-1936-Elixir-Round-5-Province-48-Battle-4.png

Tourney-1928-Dust-Round-1-Province-47-Battle-3
Tourney-1928-Dust-Round-1-Province-47-Battle-3.png

Tourney-1928-Dust-Round-1-Province-43-Battle-3
Tourney-1928-Dust-Round-1-Province-43-Battle-3.png

Tourney-1920-Gems-Round-5-Province-52-Battle-4
Tourney-1920-Gems-Round-5-Province-52-Battle-4.png

Tourney-1920-Gems-Round-5-Province-53-Battle-1
Tourney-1920-Gems-Round-5-Province-53-Battle-1.png

I will post battle results with new tourney system as I get them, but don't expect such high provinces ...

Last edited:
I have also been negatively affected by the new tourney system and I am an end game player(Currently ranked #4) who is halfway through Chapter 17. Before the change, I used to finish between 40 and 65 provinces @6 rounds, depending on the tournament type. After the change, I have been struggling just to complete around 32 provinces @6 rounds, and this includes me catering and using time instants to refill troops that I have lost(This is not sustainable and will eventually cause me to complete even less). Here is my data:

424 mandatory researches completed
123 non-premium expansions (including initial 6)
35 Premium expansions
362 Ancient Wonders levels

To get an idea how this has impacted me, here is a snapshot of my tournament history from elvenstats.com. The change was made in early October starting with the Marble tournament(the last white line). As you can see, just about every line after and including the last white line has gone down from previous tournament totals. It's important to note that I was in denial the first 2 weeks(Marble and Steel) and wasted way too many resources to even achieve the score that I did(next time my score will definitely be lower). The 2nd to last line is the most drastic change - this elixir tourney score is down by almost 50% compared to my previous elixir tournament:

ElvenStats_TourneyStats.PNG

Keep in mind that for every tournament since the change I have used the following:
1 dwarven armorer
1 Unleashed Unit Upgrade
1 Magnificent Mage Multiplier(sometimes 2)
1 Enlightened Light Range(sometimes 2)
Pet food with the Fire Phoenix

and this is just to be able to complete around 32 provinces @6 rounds and 40 @2 rounds.

Considering that I used to be able to achieve a score of around 16-17K in the elixir tourney with just a single dwarven armorer along with the fire phoenix, things have changed drastically for me.

I think the solution to this problem is simple - Keep one battle per province but go back to the previous enemy groups for each tournament. This would allow for at least some strategy from players who could prepare for tourneys by training certain troops depending on the tourney type. As it stands right now, just about every enemy type shows up for every tournament...and considering the fact that I can't tell the difference between tournaments anymore, it kind of defeats the purpose of having different tournament types. I don't have my initial squad size because the tournament hasn't started this week yet, but I would be happy to post it once it does if that's helpful.

TheBobFather

The good changes to the tourney format have been well said, multiple times, by multiple players so I’ll get right to the point.
Before Tourney Change playing on app:
- I’m not a tourney beast - 4x15 average garnered 1600 points or better without MASSIVE troop losses to gain required KPs for growth
- Most AWs leveled to 18 on average
- End game Chapter 17, 158 expansions - 123 regular + 35 Premium
- Enjoyed the game, was well challenged by it and strived for growth
Post Tourney Change playing on app:
- Starting with 75 fighters, 1x20 leaves me with .3 of a ceberus leg or banshee arm at day’s end Causing me to use time instants and feed Brown Bear to restock fighters for next days tourney. By week’s end, I’m outa time instants and troops used to tourney
- Excessive time spent in game to accomplish the above tasks, I have a full time job
- Excessive use of Time Instants and Pet Food (which are miserly offered) to accomplish this
- The game Now feels much like work vs a great escape from RL

Honestly, it doesn’t matter that my score for tourney has increased. What’s important and truly matters are
1) The amount of KPs and good/supply collection, neighborly help charms/garnered over 5 times at tourney
2) The Massive amounts of troops lost each day, (effort from a perspective of time to rebuild) and spend of time instants and pet food to earn those items back

Heronsglen

Thanks Nightguest!
Postives: As everyone agrees, 1 click fights saving time and tedious clicking and the ability to train in all 3 military academies at once. Both great changes..thankyou!
Negatives: The expense in troupes is astounding after about the 20th province. Catering costs also seem unreasonable to me. I normally dont cater and rarely manual fight so when I start losing vast quantities of troupes i just have to stop. I think the combination of huge enemy squad sizes (relative to my own) and the lineup of mixed enemies that are near imposible to beat are so discouraging to me that its no longer fun. Its just expensive and punitive.

I have been playing and building my one city for 3 years and now it seems my invested time and accomplishments are a handicap. I enjoy the challenge in tournament play that requires knowledge and experience but this new format is simply unsustainable for me. The cost is draining all aspects of building and advancing my city instead of encouraging tournament play for the rewards to grow.

I understand the need to "level" the playing field somewhat for all players, but there are many of us who have invested years of time and money to be able to compete in the tournaments and still be able to grow our cities, play the Spire and make our way through the challenges of game play. The huge bump in costs of tournament play seem too extreme and I would like to see some adjustments or changes made to make it more reasonable and fun. Rewards make players want to play more and happy players dont mind supporting and spending money on a game they enjoy.

Arkadia

I'm in chapter 17, been playing for 5 years now
total expansions 137
total AW levels 407
completed provinces 522
1x level 10 Fire Phoenix
1x level 10 Brown Bear

I built my city as well as AWs for tourney achievements.
my avg tourney score used to be around 8000 before the changes were made
since the changes, i only do around 3500
I normally did 5-6 rounds in provinces 1 through 20, and 2 rounds all the way to as many provinces i have in the particular tourney.
Occasionally I did 5 rounds all the way.
I cater in provinces 1-9 & auto fight the rest

Pros:
- 1 click is absolutely awesome
- training in 3 buildings great...however....see Neg

Cons:
- i normally negotiate upto province 10 but not above. what the costs i see are insanely high as we reach outer provinces.
- i can not maintain weekly troop recovery doing 5 rounds in 10, and 2 rounds in much more then 20 provinces
- troop losses are very high compared to previous system
- troop losses can not be recovered regularly without high amount of speeders, which can not be recovered weekly
- while it is awesome to train in 3 buildings simultaneously, i find myself using mostly the basic troops trained in the Barrack, because they do better against the multiple types of enemy troops in 1 battle, might as well get rid of the Merc Camp and Training Grounds
- impossible to recover the losses of Orc Warriors and Orc Strategists on a weekly basis if relying on orc production
- while i was doing well in previous system with only placing 1 or 2 troop boosting buildings in most, and maybe 3 in more difficult tourneys, now i place 3-4 each week addition to feeding Fire Phoenix, and it i still have the inane amount of troop losses

Over the 5 years of me in this game, I have built up 2 top ranking FS based on tourney achievements. The tournaments used to be fun, allowed friendly competition, team play, and something we looked forward to.

Besides my disappointment, now I am very much puzzled.

- What's the point of doing the tourneys for an end player (besides event quest) if not for KPs to upgrade the AWs, which in turn will penalize us for doing so?
- Why we have to keep scout and battle to complete event quests, if in turn it will penalize us in the tourney?
- Why we spend diamonds to buy expansions, if it is in return will penalize us?

I feel being punished for my efforts and investments.

Shyama1

New Tournemant System - Battles results

Here are some battles of last tourney (2049-Gems). I did 50 Provinces @ 6 Rounds, way beyond what I can do in a sustainable way and it will take 3 weeks or more to replenish my troops. I did this on purpose, because the Old Tournament battles screens I posted are in the range of Provinces 30~60 and I wanted to get as close as possible.

I didn't choose on purpose to worst battles results, but the most unexpected losses I got, compared to the Old Tourney System. I had battles with worst results due to tricky opponents combinations, but I didn' post those, as losses were expected.
Provinces 1-20 do not show any significant change, so I'm starting at province 25.

Every battle compares New number with what I would have get with Old Tourney system, so you can get a better idea of the changes.

You will notice that % of troops lost in each battle increases drastically as I do higher provinces, and you need to multiply these losses by the huge Own squadsize of New Tourney system to get an idea of count of squads lost.

I think numbers speak by themself, here they are:

We can notice that Own squadsize remains around 13x higher than it was with Old system, while Enemy squadsize is varying between 19x and 31x what it was with Old system.

Keep in mind that with Old System, enemy squadsize was increasing with rounds, but staying the same for the whole round, while with new system, it is increasing with Provinces (the increase for +1 round is now the same as the increase for +1 province).

Province 25 - Round 2Own SSEnemy SSEnemy/Own
New Tourney58786102053x 1.74
Old Tourney45684568x 1
Changex 12.87x 22.34x 1.74
Tournament-2049-Gems-Province-25-Round-2.png

Province 30 - Round 2Own SSEnemy SSEnemy/Own
New Tourney70091134295x 1.92
Old Tourney54815481x 1
Changex 12.79x 24.5x 1.92
Tournament-2049-Gems-Province-30-Round-2.png

Province 35 - Round 3Own SSEnemy SSEnemy/Own
New Tourney83657171832x 2.05
Old Tourney63957355x 1.15
Changex 13.08x 23.36x 1.79
Tournament-2049-Gems-Province-35-Round-3.png

Province 39 - Round 5Own SSEnemy SSEnemy/Own
New Tourney97223205530x 2.11
Old Tourney712610333x 1.45
Changex 13.64x 19.89x 1.46
Tournament-2049-Gems-Province-39-Round-5.png

Province 41 - Round 6Own SSEnemy SSEnemy/Own
New Tourney104006222989x 2.14
Old Tourney749111986x 1.6
Changex 13.88x 18.6x 1.34
Tournament-2049-Gems-Province-41-Round-6.png

Province 44 - Round 5Own SSEnemy SSEnemy/Own
New Tourney108528234855x 2.16
Old Tourney803911657x 1.45
Changex 13.5x 20.15x 1.49
Tournament-2049-Gems-Province-44-Round-5.png

Province 47 - Round 1Own SSEnemy SSEnemy/Own
New Tourney106267228900x 2.15
Old Tourney85877299x 0.85
Changex 12.38x 31.36x 2.53
Tournament-2049-Gems-Province-47-Round-1.png

Province 48 - Round 5Own SSEnemy SSEnemy/Own
New Tourney117572259129x 2.2
Old Tourney877012717x 1.45
Changex 13.41x 20.38x 1.52
Tournament-2049-Gems-Province-48-Round-5.png

Province 49 - Round 1Own SSEnemy SSEnemy/Own
New Tourney110789240856x 2.17
Old Tourney89537611x 0.85
Changex 12.37x 31.65x 2.56
Tournament-2049-Gems-Province-49-Round-1.png

Province 50 - Round 5Own SSEnemy SSEnemy/Own
New Tourney122094271538x 2.22
Old Tourney913513246x 1.45
Changex 13.37x 20.5x 1.53
Tournament-2049-Gems-Province-50-Round-5.png

Troops losses comparison - Rough estimation

If you check my Old Tourney system battles results, you can see that troops losses were around 5% per battle.

Based on New Tournement system battles result I posted, we can roughly estimate troops losses per battle at 50% average
But because not all battles leads to such troops losses, lowering this number to 1/4 , or 12.5% seems fair to me.

Result: past Province 25, with the New system, my troops losses are (12.5/5)*13 = 32.5x more units than with the Old System
Again , this is a very rough estimation, but I think I'm close to the real numbers, as it tends to be confirmed by the losses I can observe in my Army Camp.

Hope this helps...
Shyama1

Last edited:

Revenant Roar

Hey there folks,

I'm going to try something a little different here (hopefully this won't bite me in the rear end!)

I'd like to split the tournament discussion into two:
  • The original thread: https://us.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/tournament-changes.25318/
    Perfectly fine for discussions and I welcome you all to keep on writing (as of now, I have a lot to go through and reply to and I will get to you all over the weekend)
  • This post for facts/evidence/reviews only
    As such, do not start a conversation here, I will move posts around if I see it. This is a large community and you are all very passionate, however, I only human and need to be able to access the fact nice and easily in order to keep pressing this point

However, what would be needed the most is some direct feedback and comparisons of this tournament from everyone. So in this thread, I will ask you to leave a 'review' of the new system, comparing your current results and progression to what you remember getting in the old system. What would be 'ideal' is if people left that review regardless of if they like this change or dislike, and regardless of whether their points have increased or decreased.

Perspective
For some players, the new tournament has helped to improve their ability to participate, while for others it has become increasingly harder - even impossible.

Regardless of what category you are in, I would hugely appreciate it if you would let us know here:
  • Which of the tournament impacted (+ or -) the most?
  • In your opinion, what is hurting your progress the most?
  • OR if positive, what is improving your progression the most?
Additional
For those that are suffering in this system, many of you have written that you are unable to progress any further. Can you please give me an explanation of why?
For example, are the costs to negotiate prohibitive? Do you run into fights that are actually impossible? Or does a single (winnable) fight drain you so much that progression is impossible?

Those are just a few points, if you feel that there are more things that can be touched on, please do write it yourself.

Oh, and if you feel that a screenshot will help, please add it. The best way to think of this is, you need to write down your reasons as if you were persuading a baby (You're not, but over-complication is an issue with Elvenar and even devs can stare at texts/listen to my voice and entirely space out if it needlessly goes on and on).

And finally - please remember that this does not indicate in any way that changes will happen but it does help us to understand the wider picture.

[Seriously, people from other (non-US) communities - please don't attack your CMs over me making these posts. They are hurting from these changes just as much as you are, the majority are helping out with this, and I'd rather not have them annoyed at me for poking the hornets nest.]
This feedback is coming from a newish player who started all gung-ho and scouted way too fast; sometimes going into next chapter with twice the provinces needed. That being said, I'm still playing catch-up and unable to clear provinces except thru negotiations. So now I'm stuck at quest calling for fight encounters and really can't get past that so this being only my 2nd FA it definitely has hurt my ability to participate. If the quest included tournament fights I could progress and probably enjoy the event but - thru no one's fault but my own - I am not a happy camper and totally disinterested. Without having more historical FA participation under my belt this is probably the only meaningful feedback I can offer.

Deneb

thanks Nightguest for this thread. I am like a few here that are not heavy tournament players and in all honesty my tournament average has gone up. I do feel however that is now stalled and will never get higher than it is. The cost of troops and catering is too high for me to even think about progressing past 10 @ 6. I had a small taste of how much I could do with the old system and it was fun! I was looking forward to the tournament start. Now, not so much. I know that I will get my average score and my FS will get its 10 chests. I feel like stalling me at 2k points is not really what game play is all about. It becomes boring. I see no reason to develop my AWs when other FS members are tearing them down. I have no desire to even expand my city when I hear that expansions hurt my tournament play. Where is the incentive? I could really use the room. I'm in Chapter 17 with a few premium expansions. My AW score is 64k. That's about as techy as I get. I auto fight all provinces and lately have had to put pet food on my brown bear on more occasions and that is directly due to tournament losses. I want to do more. I want it to be fun again. It is so disheartening to hear the talk in my FS about top players considering leaving the game over this tournament issue. I love that smaller players and lower ranked FSs are now able to get their 10 chests! That's what we should all be striving for. I am deeply saddened that higher ranked FS's players are suffering so that the lower ranks can get them. You know that the higher ranked had built their whole game around the way the tournaments had historically been run and then changed it all so that their hard work, time and money penalized them. Seriously? Do you not see anything wrong with that?

Deleted User - 3932582

Based on New Tournement system battles result I posted, we can roughly estimate troops losses per battle at 50% average
But because not all battles leads to such troops losses, lowering this number to 1/4 , or 12.5% seems fair to me.
Just to put this into context - these are Gems tournament numbers. In my estimates, Gems turned out to be the second easiest tournament (after marble), as far as losses are concerned. In many other tournaments I've had losses up to 2x higher than I've got in Gems.

Shyama1

Just to put this into context - these are Gems tournament numbers. In my estimates, Gems turned out to be the second easiest tournament (after marble), as far as losses are concerned. In many other tournaments I've had losses up to 2x higher than I've got in Gems.
Just want to say I agree with MinMax Gamer, Gems was among the "easiest" tourney with the new system, and I indeed got ~twice more losses in some other provinces.

Risen Malchiah

I don't have exact numbers to help with data collection but I have some observations and the end result of the last 9 weeks playing the new tournament format:

NotatedTourneyHistory.jpg

While not as impressive as some that posted here, I had steady progress. In the old format, I worked my way up to doing as many as 40-50 provinces for 5-6 rounds in some weeks. The new format squashed that to around 25-30 provinces for 5 rounds, so my scores averaged around 6-8k. In the new format, I earned far less rewards while still having to retrain far more troops. Without a Brown Bear, Supply Windfalls & Time Boosts, I can't fathom how to sustain that week to week.

Over the last 9 weeks of "randomized" tournament encounters, it seemed that I used similar troops almost every week. For my ch 15 human city, I used almost entirely Frogs and/or Blossoms/Priests, with occasional uses for Archers, Dogs & Strategists. Nothing else was needed. For my ch 15 elf city, I found little use for my Barracks troops other than Archers, while again relying on Blossoms and/or Frogs most of the time. The lack of variety was boring, though I welcomed the ability to make quick split-second troop decisions while using autofight.

The final week you see (the gem tourney with a score of 14k+) is the week I quit and threw everything I had into all my available provinces for 6 rounds. I spent more than 1000 squads of troops even while using multiple troop buffs.. In the old format, it would not have cost so many troops to get that score.

So here's your final statistic:

1 player who spent 4 years playing the game who feels there's no point to progress any further. The chapters past the Elvenar guest race (ch 15) don't add any strength to my troops, but will instead make it more difficult with each tech I unlock? So I stopped progressing. And if all I'm doing now is earning KP to level AWs, which also make it harder, there is no longer a point to play. There's your statistic. I quit. :p

Edit: And honestly, I'm quite appalled at Inno for not heeding the MASSIVE Beta feedback to fix this before it went live. Honestly, that annoys me more than the actual tournament difficulty.

Last edited:

BrinDarby

I am in the minority that hate the 1 fight per province rather than 4.
I know doing less that 10 provinces compared to 40-60 might chg
my thoughts.

Progress is much easier in the current format, mostly due to the fact
I have NO AWs, have stopped researching, and have a city (CH4) that from
CH2 on , was for playing Spire & Tourn... not progressing thru CHs..

As a player whos goal is 1650-2200 pts a week, both formats allow that
as long as manual fighting is available.....

The worst impact on my game was Rnd not Theme'd opposistion...
All thats necessary now ( every fight ) is Cerebuses & Treants ( LR + HM ).
With an xtra cue on training, thats all I need to train and MMM/ELR
are worthless... all I need is a DA or (2) UUUs each week. Gone are the
weeks I had to go check Egems, to see which troops to train for the next
week.....

Shyama1

I found this Steel Tourney much harder than the few previous New Tourneys.
To get and idea, take the troops losses (not by number of units, but by % of squads lost) that I got in Gems tourney and posted above, and make it happen 15 provinces earlier !

I did 25 provinces only and it looks like I still went past the sustainability point.

I also noticed a weird thing, not especially on this tourney, but since the new system is in place. It looks like specialized units (from Training Ground and Mercenary Camp) lost some of their efficiency in tournaments, and I'm doing better with my Barracks units.
Yet, those alt. units seems to show their correct stats in the Army Camp, and they perform as expected in the Spire, so this only affects my tournaments, just as if those alt. units were having their stats merfed in tourneys fights, but in a way we cannot see.
Does anyone else noticed the same thing ?

Shyama1

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
I found this Steel Tourney much harder than the few previous New Tourneys.
To get and idea, take the troops losses (not by number of units, but by % of squads lost) that I got in Gems tourney and posted above, and make it happen 15 provinces earlier !

I did 25 provinces only and it looks like I still went past the sustainability point.

I know this thread is not for conversations, but since we are now on the second time through the tournaments with the new format, you should compare this week's steel to the one from 9 weeks ago, not to gems. Did your numbers or difficulty change much between the two steel tournaments?

Deleted User - 3932582

I know this thread is not for conversations, but since we are now on the second time through the tournaments with the new format, you should compare this week's steel to the one from 9 weeks ago, not to gems. Did your numbers or difficulty change much between the two steel tournaments?
A single crappy encounter can account for 15-20% of losses of the whole tournament. Check out my tournament tutorial posts, there are some numbers in there. In my recent marble tournament 1 encounter out of 126 (!) accounted for 20% of all tournament losses.

Shyama1

That would make no sense.
We are trying to figure out how we were affected by the tournament changes, so the thing to do would be to compare this last steel tournament with Old tourney system Steel tournament. I have numbers for the Old tournament Steel provinces, but I was tired and on a hurry, and didn't take screens of this last Steel tourney. BTW this is a lot of work, and I'm not gonna do it every tourney. As the Gems tourney I posted was a relatively easy one, I will post the battles results of an hard tourney, and I think they will have enough numbers with that.

And you are right MMG, this Steel tourney increased difficulty mostly came from tricky opponents combinations. I didn't have this in the first New format Steel tourney.

edeba

This second round felt massively more difficult than the first round of the steel tournament.

I scored 11,748 the first steel tournament and 10,806 this one. I didn't take screen shots of before and after supplies, but I am in shock that I burned through my orcs, mana, have way less goods, and my troops are wiped out.

There is nothing fun about this new tournament and for planks my score will be in the range of 1/3rd of what I used to do because this is simply not sustainable.

I feel very betrayed and cheated by Inno. I invested hard earned money into my game and the benefits that the game gave for spending money no longer exist; they just wrote the benefits out of the code and totally crapped on the players that pay Inno's wages and the players that are ultimately responsible for the opportunity given through this game.

I genuinely wish karma on Inno, that all business you come contact with treat you the way you've treated your clients. Players do not deserve this but Inno sure does.

Last edited: