• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tournament Changes

DeepTerminal

The beta announcement says:

Furthermore, researched (optional) Squad Size Upgrade technologies will no longer make Tournament participation more expensive.

Now, your live announcement says:

Tournament difficulty is no longer determined solely by Squad Size

The wording here implies that squad size is still a factor in difficulty, but not the only factor. So please clarify - Is squad size part of the formula or not?

I'm under the impression that normal squad size no longer affects difficulty, which means optional SSUs no longer affect difficulty.

Last edited:

qaccy

The wording here implies that squad size is still a factor in difficulty, but not the only factor. So please clarify - Is squad size part of the formula or not?

I'm under the impression that normal squad size no longer affects difficulty, which means optional SSUs no longer affect difficulty.

Your impression is pretty much correct. Squad size is not part of the cost calculations. Mandatory researches are, some of which are squad size increases.

I believe the confusing wording is actually referring to the old system that's being replaced.

Anyway, WOOHOO! They're finally coming! I don't think I can be more excited for these changes than I am right now.

Risen Malchiah

Feedback regarding the new difficulty formula on Beta and EN servers has been overwhelmingly negative and players have provided extensive alternative options for consideration but have seemingly been ignored. Please provide transparency regarding how the tournament difficulty will be determined.

1. If expansions are included in the formula, I will NEVER buy another expansion. :diamond::diamond:
2. If AW levels are included, I will focus only on AWs that help me and abandon all others.
3. If every research completed adds to the difficulty, I will stop all progression on the tech tree.

If all 3 compound upon each other, what incentive do I have to progress at all? And consequently, if others do likewise, how long will players retain interest in the game?

Risen Malchiah

SO if squad size upgrades don't hurt, they can only help? Should I go back and do them or not?
Unless something changed from beta til now, the squad upgrades will have no impact at all on the tournament or spire. Optional squad upgrades will only make fighting on the world map easier.

I have long advocated for the tournament formula to be based on *mandatory* squad upgrades only, and let optional squad upgrades improve the ratio of our troops vs the enemy. This would be the most intuitive way to do it, and would put tournament difficulty in line with progression as intended without punishing players for advancing their AWs or placing/buying expansions.

Deleted User - 849097255

Partyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy !!! Thank you for the tournament upgrade !!!

DeletedUser4372

i will try and go slow. i use your events, just never finish, i get the lower hanging fruit. They do provide the " Oil for the Gears" of the game. I just finished the tournament and usually finish the first level. i used to push it further but you gimped the prizes for finishing more levels so much, the prizes are not worth the time or effort to do so. I like the spire up to the first double play that has the building " teleport building" prize. did not know i would need to get rid of all but one factory and add 3 Sentient Manufacturers. Teleport a building gives me the option of returning a high lvl building without having to level a new one. Thanks for the constant improvements. Look forward to experimenting with the new tournament.

Ivy1996

I'm wondering about those unfavorable strategies in the current setup which I missed out on! I am looking forward to this. I am in a competitive fellowship and curious how we will do with the bonus chests!

DeletedUser3580

• Tournament difficulty is no longer determined solely by Squad Size, but rather by a series of progression factors, which involve city development and research in general.
so why would I continue to buy diamonds for city development and research in general, or why would I even bother to do the tourney, or even bother to keep playing the game

Zariantha

Unless something changed from beta til now, the squad upgrades will have no impact at all on the tournament or spire. Optional squad upgrades will only make fighting on the world map easier.

Thank you. Somehow the meaning of "squad size research has no impact" didn't resonate with me until you said it. I will go back and do the research now to help with world map exploration.

Heymrdiedier

Feedback regarding the new difficulty formula on Beta and EN servers has been overwhelmingly negative and players have provided extensive alternative options for consideration but have seemingly been ignored. Please provide transparency regarding how the tournament difficulty will be determined.

1. If expansions are included in the formula, I will NEVER buy another expansion. :diamond::diamond:
2. If AW levels are included, I will focus only on AWs that help me and abandon all others.
3. If every research completed adds to the difficulty, I will stop all progression on the tech tree.

If all 3 compound upon each other, what incentive do I have to progress at all? And consequently, if others do likewise, how long will players retain interest in the game?

that's a yes, on all 4. Have fun :)

mikeledo

They make the changes sound so wonderful, how is it there are a gazillion complaints? The game is not all about tournaments, believe it or not. If that is your sole focus, maybe you are playing the wrong game. Perhaps WoW is what you should be playing.

Risen Malchiah

They make the changes sound so wonderful, how is it there are a gazillion complaints? The game is not all about tournaments, believe it or not. If that is your sole focus, maybe you are playing the wrong game. Perhaps WoW is what you should be playing.
Just speaking for myself, if the tournaments didn't exist, I would no longer play the game. Without the tourney, spire & events, Elvenar would be like watching paint dry. I've played since 2016 and during that time, I've become quite adept at fighting (always manual in the beginning, which I still do for the spire & world map). Over that time, I've actually been hoping for MORE depth with the fighting. There are soo many ways that it could be made more interesting, from battle spells, healing units, more varied & complex terrain, battlefields with different backgrounds (particularly for the spire), more troop types to choose from, additional abilities to play with, large boss-like fights, etc. The possibilities are limited only by imagination.

I started playing this game *because* of the fighting style, being quite similar to games like Heroes of Might & Magic. The city building aspect was always secondary for me.

qaccy

I have to question your reasoning on your 3 points.

1. Are you saying that the extra space provided by an expansion is not worth a cost increase in tournaments?
2. Isn't that what you're supposed to do anyway? Why would you place anything in your city that doesn't help you?
3. Related to #1. Advancing in research and the benefits granted by such is somehow worse than having a slight cost increase for tournament encounters?

You have to consider the benefits of what you're claiming that you're going to give up, rather than just the 'negative' of having a cost increase in Tournaments. Or are you honestly suggesting that never placing an expansion, building no AWs, and stopping all research once Tournaments are unlocked is somehow superior to continuing to expand and develop your city?

Risen Malchiah

You have to consider the benefits of what you're claiming that you're going to give up, rather than just the 'negative' of having a cost increase in Tournaments. Or are you honestly suggesting that never placing an expansion, building no AWs, and stopping all research once Tournaments are unlocked is somehow superior to continuing to expand and develop your city?
I'm at the end of chapter 15. I haven't started Embassies since there's no direct benefit (in terms of troop upgrades) and the AWs are irrelevant to me. So I have tons of space I don't need other than for events. Unless chapter 17 is worth pursuing, my journey through the tech tree has already ended.

Regarding AWs, there are some that might be beneficial in some ways, but if they don't add to either fighting or catering ability while adding to the difficulty, they are now pointless. So for me, that means not using any that don't directly impact my ability to fight or provide population.

Iyapo1

Regarding AWs, there are some that might be beneficial in some ways, but if they don't add to either fighting or catering ability while adding to the difficulty, they are now pointless

This has not changed. To the more competitive players most AWs have always been pointless.

T6583

I've played the new tourney style in Beta with a Ch. 3 city. While that city liked it I'm extremely nervous about my Ch. 15 and Ch. 16 cities due to the number of AW's, expansions, and research completed. The new system hasn't exactly been well recieved on either of the Beta or EN forums. I honestly am prepared for it to be ill recieved here as well. It'll be interesting to see how my Ch. 3 Beta city's toruney is next week since I just placed my first AW in that city. I really like the 1 fight per provience but I am not the biggest fan of the more random troops which makes it harder to plan for tourney each week despite the tweaking that was done. I also felt that the negotion costs were higher in general. While some players share my opinion on negotion costs others felt differently.

hvariidh gwendrot

it would be nice to actually know what they have done and what exactly effects what vs guessing .. has there ever been a chart with x amount of expansion do this x amount of wonders will effect that ? just dumping a great big wtV ? on everyone and saying have fun sink or swim time is never fun for the ones thrown in the pool

Last edited: