• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tournament Changes

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
My very first fight, though, was with one of each class of units and I had quite a few of those throughout 29 provinces. That doesn't usually happen.
T3 tournaments have a higher % chance of counter units (mixed) T1 tournaments have the lowest(mostly the same units)

Every tournament cycle for over a year sees someone on the forums making a thread about how much harder it got when we are in the Elixer/gem/dust part.

SoggyShorts

my fave part of this game might be not having to play it
This is bad. I feel the same- took great joy in getting a max TW & polar not so that I could do more in the tournament, but rather so I could do it less often. I'm also pushing towards all 24h buildings and productions etc.
If the goal becomes spending less and less time in the game that doesn't bode well for its longevity...:oops:

Mykan

Oh Wise One
If it were the "magic dust relic tournament", then absolutely. But the tournament takes place solely in magic dust provinces, and thus can still be called the "magic dust tournament".

This is only part true, they started breaking the link to provinces 12 months ago. The tournaments used to align to a world map fight in terms of relics, units, goods and the map appearance. Now the only thing that links is the map appearance. All other factors are completely different.

The only thing making this dust is the map appearance (unless you auto combat, cater or are on mobile), then it is only the team relic awards. That said what else would you call them? They want 9 tournaments that rotate about. They could randomise the maps too and then go tourny 1-9 but meh...

Huor

T3 tournaments have a higher % chance of counter units (mixed) T1 tournaments have the lowest(mostly the same units)

Every tournament cycle for over a year sees someone on the forums making a thread about how much harder it got when we are in the Elixer/gem/dust part.

Thank you! That explains a lot. Didn't know that.

ElvenEarsRule

So, like many who have their MA Factory churning out CC non-stop, since my biggest concern was what to do with no push week advantage. I decided to apply a bit of math to the problem.

The target goal is an average of 28 relics per week (4 CC a day (6 hours) running 7 days a week) but ideally you want to shoot a bit higher in case you ever use time boosts in your MA while producing CC.

I give you the following chart. This is for people who do 3/4/5 Tourney Days (backwards). Completing 18 or 27 Encounters every single week (NO push week). It is important that you complete a minimum of 18 or 27 EVERY WEEK if you're seeking to achieve these levels as the number of relics varies as it gets pushed from week 1 to week 9.

The Skinny
  • If you only do 3 Tourney days you need to complete 27 Encounters very week (gives an average of 31 relics over a 9 week period).
  • If you only do 4 Tourney days you can technically get away with doing 18 Encounters (but you'll only average 27 relics weekly) but should probably do 27 Encounters or alternatively just do a 19th one on the Tourney you're trying to acquire a few extra relics for.
  • If you only do 5 Tourney days you can do a minimum of 18 every single week and clear 35 relics a day

10-6-2021 5-19-13 PM.png

Homework
10-6-2021 5-19-24 PM.png
Terminology used
Tourney Days = Stars. For users without Time Warp Wonder this happens to equates to days 16 hours,
Encounter = A Cater/Fight Encounter
Completes = The minimum number of encounters you must complete (maximum calculated for).

Feedback (preferably constructive) welcome.

Last edited:

Yogi Dave

Tourney Days = Stars. For users without Time Warp Wonder this happens to equates to days 16 hours,
Tiny pet peeve of mine. A tourney is 4 days 3 hours. Yes, it is over 5 days, but it's easy to think there is more time to do the tourney if you think of it as 5 days. With people being anywhere in the world, it's easy for many to miss both the beginning and ending of the tourney since they are sleeping which makes it difficult to do more than 4 rounds without the time warp or polar bear.

However, I do like that you worked this out and are sharing it. It is something I wondered about. As I said to begin with, it's only a pet peeve of mine about how many days and you explained what you meant by 'day'. Another star for defining your terms. <gold star emoji>

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One
Tiny pet peeve of mine. A tourney is 4 days 3 hours.

Right. If someone does each star from the very start, and then exactly 16 hours later for each following, the 6th star will get completed at the 80-hour mark. There are 99 hours in a tournament, so that is 19 hours to play with. Even so, without either that Polar Bear or Timewarp, I only get 5 stars done in a week in my Beta city. That is because I am in the Eastern Time Zone, so if I start at 1pm on Tuesday, star 2 is ready to go at 5am, and that is not ever going to happen, so I don't get all 6 if I do not do something with my schedule.

As for all the math and charts, all I can say is that anyone who has at least 10 provinces open needs to to at least those 10 every week to get the most out of each relic each week, since province 1 and 10 are the same relic.

ElvenEarsRule

Right. If someone does each star from the very start, and then exactly 16 hours later for each following, the 6th star will get completed at the 80-hour mark. There are 99 hours in a tournament, so that is 19 hours to play with. Even so, without either that Polar Bear or Timewarp, I only get 5 stars done in a week in my Beta city. That is because I am in the Eastern Time Zone, so if I start at 1pm on Tuesday, star 2 is ready to go at 5am, and that is not ever going to happen, so I don't get all 6 if I do not do something with my schedule.

As for all the math and charts, all I can say is that anyone who has at least 10 provinces open needs to to at least those 10 every week to get the most out of each relic each week, since province 1 and 10 are the same relic.
Because the relic keeps shifting (from week 1 to week 9) and you only get 1/10th of your quota as a result you have to do multiples of 9 every week. Only doing 10 tournaments will elicit a very small amount of relics on average because you will only get your relic of choice twice once every 9 weeks. 18 ensures that you get each relic type twice every week.

Iyapo1

Because the relic keeps shifting (from week 1 to week 9) and you only get 1/10th of your quota as a result you have to do multiples of 9 every week. Only doing 10 tournaments will elicit a very small amount of relics on average because you will only get your relic of choice twice once every 9 weeks. 18 ensures that you get each relic type twice every week.
But on weeks when you want the relic doing a 10th tent or a 19th tent will net you an extra little handful of that specific weeks relics.

Enevhar Aldarion

Oh Wise One

That is fine for all the players who have plenty of open provinces, but for all the players who are not over-scouting, they will not get to 18-20 available provinces for all nine relic types until about halfway through chapter 8.

BrinDarby

will net you an extra little handful of that specific weeks relics.
more like a bucketfull .....

When I 1st heard of this changing, I actually thought that due to
"the law of compounding" so getting 5 of each relic a week rather than 45 of
just 1, every 9 weeks, earlier chapter players's boost % would be going up
less, but more often .... so the law of compounding means that overall
they will get more benefit from the smaller advancements....

then I tried the changes this week so far after 3 rounds played, and because
of 1 HUGE oversight, if my premise was correct, then that oversight 100% defeats
the purpouse of the change in the 1st place.....

That oversight is : no wrap-a-round on order of relics earned.

So lets take a player with 3 provinces open , who does all 6 rounds.....
Round 1 they earn 1 dust, 2 gems, and 2 marble relics.
Round 2 they earn 1 dust, 2 gems, and 2 marble relics.
Round 3 they earn 1 dust, 2 gems, and 2 marble relics.
So after 6 rounds they earn..... 6 dust, 12 gems, and 12 marble.
( they earn None of the other 6 resources )

With wrap-a-round it goes like this :
Round 1 they earn 1 dust, 2 gems, 2 marble
Round 2 they earn 1 steel, 2 planks, 2 crystal
round 3 they earn 1 scrolls, 2 silk, 2 elixer
So after 6 rounds they have earned .....
2 dust/steel/scrolls and 4 gems/marble/planks/crystal/silk/elixer
( some of all 9 resources earned )

Without relics on a wrap-a-round schedule , in tournaments now,
My impression is ... that it defeats the whole reason for the change
in the 1st place..... obviously anyone with 9+ provinces open, will
get some of each relic each week.

So my question is :
Given the change that was made, what is the reason for this change ?
and please, in some detail would be nice....

SoggyShorts

what is the reason for this change ?
"So that players don't have to wait 9 weeks to get more of a relic that they need"
some detail would be nice....
  • Tournament Trophies - While these were already visible here on Beta, we are now officially introducing them. They don't really have a direct impact on the game play, but are nice to have as 'bragging rights'.
  • Relic Rewards - Instead of only getting relics from the specific tournament type, the first province will give relics of the same type as the tournament, and the next province will give the next relic type in the typical relic order etc. so that there will be a more even distribution of relic types.
  • KP redistribution - Knowledge Points will be redistributed, so that new players will more easily understand that you can get valuable Knowledge Points in tournaments. Important to note here is that no reward will be moved backwards (so it is impossible to get less for same effort).
  • Change in costs of magic spells - The current cost balancing of Enchantments leads to an uneven spending of relics. This is a disadvantage for all players, but it gets more and more critical the farer a player progresses in the game. A player e.g. might spend all his relics for ascended goods and then is stuck for a very long time on higher chapters. With changing the costs of spells, we hope to take away that problem.

BrinDarby

Relic Rewards - Instead of only getting relics from the specific tournament type, the first province will give relics of the same type as the tournament, and the next province will give the next relic type in the typical relic order etc. so that there will be a more even distribution of relic types.
as usual Soggy, you're almost just being a smart-ash ..... but okie-dokie

the above quote, you're quote, implies that wrap-a-round will exsist, and it doesn't
so a player with 3 provinces still waits 7 weeks not 9 weeks.

""the next province will give the next relic type in the typical relic order etc. so that there will be a more even distribution of relic ""
getting 6 dust, 12 gems, and 12 marble only is certainly NOT equal distribution....
But, 2 dust/steel/scrolls and 4 gems/marble/planks/crystal/silk/elixer = more even distribution.

so by 2 quotes of yours Soggy....
1) not having to wait 9 weeks .... and
2) Inno's stated goal ....

the fact that wrap-a-round provinces are NOT happening, completely
nullifies both #1 and #2 .....

Player9999

"So that players don't have to wait 9 weeks to get more of a relic that they need"

Good to know that's true.

Otherwise I might suspect it related to KPI's staff develop to cater illusions to MTG overlords, and get funding for more second tier TV ads on Sinclair OTA TV stations in the USA, which could easily top costs of game designer and coder staff.

It may be time for a project to review stockholder reports for MTG-A & MTG-B, found on the Nordic NASDAQ Swedish fork. I'd bet those staff capable of parsing that style of distorted regulatory accounting presentation might spot a few details beyond what players do.

So far I find the new Tourney format desirable due to speed, but the new rewards patterns more tedious with yet more details on most Province/Level fights, while given how this game relies on experienced players for coaching and FS leadership, I'm not so sure removing a filter to sort long term serious players from hit and run dropouts really benefits the overall game much. Yet another time metric is the balance of FS leaders investing to help neighbors or FS members grow, versus overload of too many tasks and events stacked one on top of another, such that special events are instead annoying tedium that pushes abusive demands on us, until many good players have said too much and just quit. More hyper players who quit early after seeing the long run time cycles of this game are a severe negative in that respect.

I don't see that KPI in surveys they send around now and then?

Special events used to allow neat art on functional stuff a few times a year. Now, when do we not have 3-5 different game forks nagging at us pretty much every week?