• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tournament - Elixir Edition

DeletedUser5284

Hello there, please share your thoughts and ideas about upcoming tournament here.
Personally I have no idea how to beat an elixir province (Human race), so any kind of advice would be helpful.
I've read Mykans fighting guide but I can't understand why mortars are key unit for this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2963

This is my boost so I will spend some time on this one. Mortars have a bonus against light melee and a bonus against light ranged. Elixer provinces are usually stacked with these units. They will often toss in a heavy melee unit that you will need to counter(crosssbows work well for this). Last time I played there were no dogs in this tournament, hopefully that stay the same. Don't know if we will get mist walkers or rangers (light ranged units) in this tournament or how that will impact fights. With their high initiative it should bring them into range of the mortars very quickly.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
Note for humans at late game that the mortars may not be as viable until the last promotion, so varying tactics may be needed until those are unlocked. Early to mid game humans have the unit and first promotion so should be fine.

As Lyapo mentioned archers are a good counter to Heavy melee as are your mage units (although weak to both light melee and light range so use cautiously)

DeletedUser3696

Note for humans at late game that the mortars may not be as viable until the last promotion, so varying tactics may be needed until those are unlocked. Early to mid game humans have the unit and first promotion so should be fine.

As Lyapo mentioned archers are a good counter to Heavy melee as are your mage units (although weak to both light melee and light range so use cautiously)
I've gotten the promotion and it wasn't that good imo. The enemy units I face have too many hitpoints for my mortars to do any significant damage.
I find that paladins even when at a disadvantage are still better. I'll see tomorrow however, as I may throw in some mortars for some support.
If I find they are decent I'll edit this post - otherwise late game humans don't have a heavy ranged unit that can compete yet.

DeletedUser5284

@up totally agree
At 11 elixir (orc chapter - early) it's really hard to win so that's why I'm a bit worried about tomorrow. I agree that palas are better (especially mixed with priests). Imo it's worth to choose palas, priests and archers at this stage. Mortars could be viable with their next upgrade.
Anyway I hope that the tournament won't be that hard.

DeletedUser3696

@up totally agree
At 11 elixir (orc chapter - early) it's really hard to win so that's why I'm a bit worried about tomorrow. I agree that palas are better (especially mixed with priests). Imo it's worth to choose palas, priests and archers at this stage. Mortars could be viable with their next upgrade.
Anyway I hope that the tournament won't be that hard.
I see they have switched up some of the enemies for the provinces. No enemy mortars anymore in Elixir, at least not in the tourney.
I only had a slight issue when there were more than 4 archers stacks, and then I used some axemen with my paladins.
Elixir is still harder than last tourney, scrolls I think.

DeletedUser5284

Auto with palas is still ok. Imo priests ftw (if there is at least 2 light-ranged) - manually ofc. First you check if priest is in range of bandits at the beginning. If so then you should pick mortar instead. It works for me. I lost most of my palas and some mortars just because of auto. On the other hand I barely lost any priests and mortars playing manually.

DeletedUser594

I'm finding the mortars are good but only following up a priests attack- that spell helps tremendously and since they have such range you can 1-2 punch some archers,thieves and orcs several times before they reach your end where your back up paladin waits. As purple mentioned be sure and watch your setup and let the canon absorb the archers volley instead of your priests, also if you have a sinister cerb they are great for slowing traffic and since they strike back on 3 enemy it's great bang for the buck.
It's a weird combo considering the different boosts but I'm finding it useful.(quick caveat- I am using Priest III, BP and Mortar II and not sure how well it works with lower level but will go have a look on dustballed human city)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser2870

From what I've tried seems paladins with priests pretty much clear every field.
For the elves, combo of treants and golems works well, but they do seem to suffer heavier losses.

Mykan

Oh Wise One
I am using mortars/crossbow (human) and golem/archers (Elve). Mostly on auto, need to be more creative on my late era human town. Often I have just gone 5 archer/crossbow as I am getting a lot of fights against mostly heavy melee.

DeletedUser2963

Using mostly golems, with archers or hm thrown in on occasion, depending on the mix. Used auto fight for most of it, round one and two. Round three up next and I doubt I will get away with auto fight without bigger losses than I am willing to take. I catered province seven in both rounds one and two.