• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tournament Encounters

Kicsi

I'm currently trying to solve a quest asking ro complete 5 encounters and was wondering, why the won tournament encounters don't count for it? The quest does not define, what type of encounter, so in my oppinion they should count.
Given that I'm level 2 with a squad size of 34, there are almost no province encounters I could win at this point as they have squad sizes above 100 and high level 2-3 provinces away, guess I'm not alone here....

ajqtrz

Chef - loquacious Old Dog
Yea, I wondered but then realized it's just a choice in terminology. Spire encounters, tournament encounters and just plain encounters. Three separate places where you can fight or cater/negotiate/convince (all of which mean the same thing...sigh). It may be just a left over thing from when the game began. At that point there was no Spire and I'm not sure if the tournament itself was up and running either.

That's my guess, anyway.

AJ

Gkyr

Chef
Encounters means encounters. Province encounters. Always had and, I assume, likely to continue that way.
Special Event quests are the only type to give you a choice as to Tourney, Spire or province and that has been more of a recent change.
The quest 'solve 5 encounters' on the storyline quests for chapter 2 humans is quest #31 and is non-declinable.
If by level 2 you mean chapter 2? That is how we usually describe it.
If my sleuthing is correct, you will just have to bite the bullet and negotiate or fight it as you get the resources or squads to do it.
Province battles are notoriously hard for beginning chapters but they will become much easier in a little while if you stick with it.
As a very last resort, when you enter chapter 3 (by paying for ch. 3 'advanced scouts') ALL ch,. 2 quests become declinable and you can skip it, if it comes to that.

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
@Kicsi Welcome to the forum! :)

Is there a fellowship member that can help set you up with goods?

I visited your city and you have factories making marble, steel, and planks. Ideally you’d want to produce only your boosted goods. (Your boosted goods are marble, silk, and gems.) I recommend selling the steel and plank factories and maybe building more marble factories. Trade the marble for steel and planks. Producing non boosted goods costs a lot in coins, supplies, population and space. Having only boosted factories and trading for the rest is much more efficient.

Edit: As far as the encounters, having a more balanced production/trade situation would allow you to easily negotiate the map encounters and therefore save your troops.

Last edited:

Zoof

Going boosted-only goods production and trading for what you don't have is the way. Fellowships are an answer to the trading problem, especially if you find yourself out in the boonies with few, if any, trading partners. Disregard any and all fellowship suggestions the game gives you since those suggestions are objectively awful if you go to this site to verify its claims.

Instead, open up the rankings panel and thumb through every fellowship's description starting from the highest ranked, working your way down until you find a fellowship that matches well with your social tendencies, situation, and playstyle. Or you can do what I did in Felyndral and skim through the list looking for fellowship names that suggest a matching... everything... and verify that the description is what you want. While waiting for a spot to open up in a fellowship that you really want to go to.

---

But back to the original topic, I too was burned early on with the confusing terminology. I learned the specifics of the terms quickly and then promptly forgot to send in a support ticket asking for forum access because my sign up was borked to heck and back so that I could complain about the wording.

In the end, it just... grows on you. Like a fungus. Hope it's the edible kind.

Last edited:

Kicsi

Thanks for all o your kind replies!

I'm already in a FS which I have looked up myself, so that's done.

I really don't get, why at this early stage I shouldn't produce non-boosted goods, will have another look into this.

Negotiation does not count for this quest, I have to fight to progress. So good luck to me finding grounds with troops I can beat.

Zoof

Thanks for all o your kind replies!

I'm already in a FS which I have looked up myself, so that's done.

I really don't get, why at this early stage I shouldn't produce non-boosted goods, will have another look into this.

Negotiation does not count for this quest, I have to fight to progress. So good luck to me finding grounds with troops I can beat.
To address the boosted/non-boosted goods argument: If you're doing things like scouting/completing provinces and participating fully in tournaments, reaching at least 200% (remember, this is 200% on top of your base 100% manufacturing rate) is the point where unboosted manufactories becomes a solid no-go. According to the chart on this page, that can be achieved by obtaining at least 42 relics relevant to your boost, which happens relatively quickly. At that point, your single boosted manufactory is producing as many goods as three unboosted manufactories at what is effectively a third of the cost in population, culture, and space. It only gets better from there on out. You're intended to use the Trader to trade your boosted goods for your unboosted.

Even if you aren't quite there yet (you will be, trust us on that), the other knock-on effect is the challenge of actually placing those manufactories in your city. Sticking together manufactories of like dimensions is simply easier to arrange in your city than trying to make room for more types of differently-shaped buildings. And building more roads to accommodate those differently-shaped buildings brings in its own inefficiency: the space those roads are using could be used for other, more useful things. Like more of the boosted manufactories. Or residences. Or culture buildings.

As for encounters requiring fighting, that might've been a good idea to state that first, as the suggestions in this thread would've (likely) leaned more towards the latter part of what @Gkyr mentioned. Unless the rewards for that quest are awesome, you're probably better off skipping it. Fighting in the early chapters sucks. Terribly. If you can't skip it (main chapter quest), ignore it while progressing on towards the next chapter in the research tree. The moment you fully unlock the next chapter (usually by completing that chapter's Advanced Scouts tech), those unskippable quests become skippable (though you may need to refresh the game for that to take effect) until the questline becomes chapter-current.

Though if you do choose to start skipping quests like that, pay close attention to what you're skipping. Some of those quests offer goods, or even diamonds.

Kicsi

Thanks so much, I get the point and will reshape my little town a bit. Let's hope those first chapters pass quickly!

Gkyr

Chef
First, I would like to second everything @Zoof advised you.
Next, I correct myself: if you are in Ch. 2, you are stalled at quest #26[Humans] or #27 [Elves]:
"Gain 5 Steel Relics
Fight and win in 5 Encounters"
Zoof and I both mentioned to you that when you accomplish the first research ("Advanced Scouts") in Ch. 3, all Ch. 2 quests become declinable.

To amplify this a little: the quest that you are stuck on (or a later quest, if you pass it) will be come declinable and all the subsequent chapter 2 quests will become declinable. You do not lose them. If you choose to decline a quest, you are then presented with the next chapter 2 quest, also declinable. You may choose to fulfill it or decline it. Sometimes, by the time you get to the next chapter, a previous chapter's quest has already been satisfied; therefore, you have only to take the reward and move on. Quests will start to be non-declinable again once you get to the new chapter's quests. You can use this info for every chapter ahead of you. There are no diamonds as rewards this early. You will see them once you finish your first 'guest race' chapter (Dwarves, 6).

Finally, here are two more presentations on why you should only produce boosted goods:
https://en.forum.elvenar.com/index.php?threads/mykans-guide-to-elvenar.2829/ <- This one has a lot of extra pointers.

Last edited:

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
@Gkyr The new research tree for chapters 1-5 does give quite a few diamonds as quest rewards. In my beta test city I just entered ch 4 and have accumulated 825 diamonds from quests and researches. I have not spent any upgrading the ma or the builder’s hut so I can see how many are awarded through ch 5.

Gkyr

Chef
@Gkyr The new research tree for chapters 1-5 does give quite a few diamonds as quest rewards. In my beta test city I just entered ch 4 and have accumulated 825 diamonds from quests and researches. I have not spent any upgrading the ma or the builder’s hut so I can see how many are awarded through ch 5.
Well! That is quite a lot of diamonds. I was ignoring tree diamonds (and I have no way of going back to sum them up) and I reviewed only the published lists of quests rewards (for chs. 1-6) because the OP was asking primarily about the mechanics of quests, which secondarily brought up a caution about skipping over quest diamonds. Thank you for keeping a record of tree diamonds. I am sure you will be relied upon to provide that information in the future.

Last edited:

Dreamyn2

Buddy Fan Club member
Well! That is quite a lot of diamonds. I used the published quest lists for chs. 1-6. I am afraid the lists must be out of date and my time spent in vain.
The published lists are still good. I’m playing the new research tree for chapters 1-5 in Beta. It hasn’t been fully released to live as far as I know. If I understand correctly only some new players are getting the new version. @helya ?
I just wanted to give a heads up so newer players won’t rush through the quests and miss out on any diamonds. :)

helya

Beloved Ex-Team Member
The published lists are still good. I’m playing the new research tree for chapters 1-5 in Beta. It hasn’t been fully released to live as far as I know. If I understand correctly only some new players are getting the new version. @helya ?
I just wanted to give a heads up so newer players won’t rush through the quests and miss out on any diamonds. :)
It is not available on any of the live markets except US and EN right now, and only for a percentage of new players for testing.