• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tournament FS vs FS Brackets

CrusaderMichael

IDEA = Same tournaments you have designed, but every new tournament a new set of brackets (containing FS's) is auto created, based on the overall rankings of the last tournament. Dividing the entire FS list in to groups of 10, based on their performance in last Tournament. Your bracket can be seen, including enemy FS progress.

10 FS's in each bracket (or whatever). Brackets ranked from the very top ranked FS's in tournaments, all the way to the bottom.

REASON = Having set brackets of very similar Tournament FS's would energize competition and increase interest in the game for many people.

REWARDS = Have the highest ranked FS in tournament Bracket 1 (the best Tournament FS's), get a prize of some high numbered mat like Gold or Silk or whatever, given to each player in the FS; HOWEVER, the top player gets the most, next best player in the top FS gets 1 less, etc etc... then the number, 1 less than was given the worst player of the previous higher bracket, is given the top ranked player of the next best FS, etc etc all the way till some player in some FS down the line, gets 1 of that mat... then.... zero for everyone else.

SUMMARY = Relatively easy to set this up, adds a more intimately competitive level to the game (people trying to win their brackets), and no reason for people to intentionally drop brackets to get top prize in another brackets, as their is no top prize for a bracket... only top player of top bracket prize, and everyone else gets 1 less of that thing down the line, till the prize = zero.

I HAVE SPOKEN.

michmarc

I generally like that none of the activities in the game are PvP: What other people do doesn't affect your rewards. There are some cooperative rewards, but they are purely additive (others doing more can only help you -- never hurt you). There is only one case today where someone else doing something "extra" can deprive you of what you have earned (reward chests on AW donations -- and most fellowships have ways to 'fixing' that to make it fair again).

Bracketed tournaments are common in Bridge and there is an inherent unfairness depending on where the bracket lines happen to fall -- it is usually better to be near the top of a lower bracket than near the bottom of a better bracket. Your 'attempt' to make it not worthwhile to 'drop down' has the side effect that if I'm not in the top bracket, I'm completely locked out of being able to win as there is no way to 'catch' someone in a higher bracket.

I think this idea has merit for other kinds of games, but I'd like to keep Elvenar PvP free.

Sprite1313

This is an interesting idea, but I don't know that it would achieve what you are after. As michmarc said, this makes this somewhat PvP. How do you balance rewards between free to play and pay to play players? And, given that tournament changes have already disadvantaged the really experienced and advanced players, this is just one more thing to highlight that they can no longer do as well in tournaments as they used to. Personally, I'd be happier to see better rewards in chests 11-19. That would achieve the same goal of more participation.

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
There is only one case today where someone else doing something "extra" can deprive you of what you have earned (reward chests on AW donations -- and most fellowships have ways to 'fixing' that to make it fair again).
and the FA. That's the thing I hate (second)most about its setup, other players whom I have zero interaction with determining some of the rewards that my FS gets .

Last edited: