• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tournament Squad Size Rebalancing: Base enemy tournament size off of mandatory squad size techs

Pheryll

Set Designer
In the current tournament implementation, optional squad size technologies do not have any positive impact. For tournament battles, they affect the enemy size as well as your own. The tech tree keeps a pretty standard ratio going of 1/3 of the squad size increases being optional and 2/3 being mandatory. In the long run this means (as the squad size increase is a quadratic function of the number of techs) that an army with all optional squad size technologies would be roughly twice as big as an army that takes none of them.

Proposal: Only count mandatory squad size researches when calculating the enemy tournament squad size, doubling the final result.

I am not recommending that catering should also be affected only by mandatory squad size techs (if it remains unchanged then catering will allow a different focus), this change will allow a focus on squad size techs to significantly help in the actual tournament fights. The impact of this change will make fighting in tournaments more difficult for the early chapters and gives a penalty to fighting for those that do not keep up on the optional squad size researches. This change does not make tournaments overall, significantly easier for any point in the tech tree. Players who have been taking all optional squad size technologies should notice little difference. On the other hand, players who do not take optional squad size technologies will be resorting to catering, while those who take half of the optional squad size will neither be good at battles nor be good at catering. In essence this change will allow for the two distinct play-styles of goods vs. military based cities to become more pronounced.

Last edited:

DeletedUser11886

I thought negotiating already costs more than fighting? Doesn't that make fighting easier while not changing anything for the caterers? Is that balanced?

Pheryll

Set Designer
I thought negotiating already costs more than fighting? Doesn't that make fighting easier while not changing anything for the caterers? Is that balanced?

It makes fighting significantly harder for those that do not take the optional squad size technologies. There is little change for those that do take the optional squad size technologies.

DeletedUser3507

Actually doing every optional squad size hurts me, in Chapter 12 my squad size is 2466, and catering is not exactly cheap. An fighting is possible in rare occasions, as I have 457 provinces completed.

I have 2 mandatory 1 optional left in this chapter

Last edited by a moderator: