• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Tourney fights

Black watch

Hello all

Just finished my second star to 41 spots...
my casualty rate is very high and was just wondering if anyone else is having trouble too.

Used all my boost buildings last tourney in reaching 10,908 so this is tourney is without that kind of help.
This tourney I'm only using my Fire Phoenix to stage 10.
Squad size 2,346
I've lost 59 squads of Orc Strats, 82 squads of Mortars, 94 squads of archers, 21 squads of barbarians, 11 squads of monk and 27 squads of paladins.
Yeah... not happy with this AT ALL. This kind of effort/losses is like I pushed well into 5 stars to 15 spots after doing my KP harvest run in the first and second stars.

The only thing that changed... I just entered chapter 12 (still in advanced scouts) and I had to do a squad size increase at the end of chapter 11. The other forced squad size increases in chapter eleven didn't create any trouble for me. This is a blindside effect like the Frog Prince situation. I fight the spire and this is worse than that by far.

Is anyone else experiencing anything different?

Risen Malchiah

This tourney I'm only using my Fire Phoenix to stage 10.
I've lost 59 squads of Orc Strats, 82 squads of Mortars, 94 squads of archers, 21 squads of barbarians, 11 squads of monk and 27 squads of paladins.
For planks, you should be able to get away with mostly using Mortars/Strategists 90% of the time (anything with 2 or less heavy melee enemies) with the rare use of a single priest or archer (when there are 3+ heavy melee) or a paladin/mortar mix (when most enemies are light melee). I don't see a use for barbarians in planks. When there are lots of enemy archers, Strategists work better, while Mortars will perform better when it's a mix of enemies. Each encounter will call for a slightly different Mortar/Strategist mix. With the Fire Phoenix buff, Mortars should perform really well, even against heavy melee (unless there are too many of them). Hope this helps.

Black watch

Thanks guys... I appreciate the info... I guess I just hit the perfect storm of pushing too hard in the tourney vs squad size and chapter break (though I'm not sure of the last one).
Risen, as far as my choice of units, exactly, I just used the odd unit as a distraction to draw fire away from the mortars and strats... singles, usually, but when the heavy ranged units starting taking alarming losses, I started putting two barbs or archers up front and using the strats to finish.
When I used just the Heavy Ranged alone, they took pretty heavy losses, though I won each engagement.
Usually with the fire bird cranked up, I do well, so this just surprised me... I had visions of that damn frog prince situation again.

Well, I'm glad it's just me... I guess I'll just have to scale back my tourney playing...

Risen Malchiah

I'm sure it's not just you. While planks is generally considered one of the easier toruneys, I think Steel is definitely easier (at least if you know what troops to place in precise places). With Steel I did 50 provinces. In planks, I'm doing around 25, so 41 is pretty high.

qaccy

Yeah, planks is the same as it's always been. I use Strategists if there are more light ranged than light+heavy melee combined, Mortars if not, and Blossom Mages for the one encounter that's 4 heavy+2 light melee. I don't use light melee, light range, or heavy melee at all in this tournament.

Black watch

I only used barbarian and archers for a distraction, because my heavy ranged were taking such a beating... one of the non recommended units draws enemy attention like honey to bees. It usually gives an edge to the mortars/strats in being able to hit at full power. The archers come over and hit you first. This changes that game mechanic and lets you sacrifice one unit so your other four can wade into them. The good thing is, that often, if place well and the terrain works in your favor, you can get a few to attack the distraction again in the second round of the engagement. It's a way of trying to change the outcome and has worked well in the past... this time, I obviously pushed the limits way too hard coupled with something else in the game.

Thanks for the replies. :)