• Dear forum visitor,

It looks as though you have not registered for a forum account, or are not signed in. In order to participate in current discussions or create new threads, you will need to register for a forum account by clicking on the link below.

Click here to register for a forum account!

If you already have a forum account, you can simply click on the 'Log in' button at the top right of your forum screen.

Your Elvenar Team

Trade cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iyapo1

Small city woes.

In a FS with other small cities and the largest player decides to offer up 1 star trades always and wont accept 2 star.

or in a FS with large cities and all of them offer large 3 star trades always and wont accept 2 star.

From my perspective both of those situations are unfair and will result in a FS bounce.

Do I really need to qualify that with a "to me"?

Dew Spinner

Umm I object to this statement. Would you like me to quote all the posts that you've "picked apart" or argued about for the sake of making your " not enough time" point? Sami has never said anything even near that. On the contray she is one of the most helpful persons on this forum.
Never mind on that... it's silly.
No one has been rude to you without trying to point out the fallacies of why this would not work.
Soggy proved it.
I post many small trades because I like to help and do try to visit most of my neighbors every few days. I know who is new in my hood.
I know that player (if they chose to stay) will eventually become one of the those that will advance in the game and return the favor.
Every time I post a trade to even out my goods I do post small trades. 99.9 % of the time it is the larger player who takes the same goods in the larger numbers that scoop them all up, small included. That's okay and I appreciate it. What I believe is that you don't think we care about the newer players. We have simply played for a longer time and can see the benefits of....or not.. ..of some good suggestions that just won't work and try to point out why.
If you think that was snarky let me know, and I can show you what snarky really is :)
Trying to keep the argument going, I see, with threats of worse to come! Nice!

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
Ok now, here is another issue we need to cover for the 'newer' players, and that is the impact of being in Chapter 15 and up, or alternately being in, Constructs or higher and in a hurry. And that issue is Sentient trading.
We put up dozens of trades at a time, to gather enough goods to pay for a research, or to upgrade houses, or some of the later level Wonders, and to cater those impossible fights on the Spire. We know the impact that this will have on our notices, and try to set them up so that we can still see visit notices. Idk about the rest of you all, but I try to space these out, in terms of specific goals, and also regular balancing trades. But this is why many of us more experienced players are resistant to the idea of also placing a bunch of wee trades. We already have lot to manage.

samidodamage

Buddy Fan Club member
Clearing as in clearing a task from your to do list
You said(bolding is mine):
"I don't have time to keep clearing my notifications of all the small trades, so I don't miss the NH notifications"
I replied:
How, pray tell, do I 'Clear' those notifications? They simply drop off over time afaik...
Edit to add: they are also pushed off by new notifications, the same way they push off visit notifications from neighbors.
And, I'm still waiting for where I (or anyone else) even said (or implied) that to begin with...

shimmerfly

Trying to keep the argument going, I see, with threats of worse to come! Nice!
Oh dear @Dew Spinner You silly girl. That was merely meant to lighten the mood.
What is it that your attempting to accomplish here with all this bitterness? This is a friendly game and has been a friendly forum.
Your really not even defending your Fellowship member @Eudaemonia at this point. And you're not a new player so what's up?
I agree we need a mod here. This has gone beyond ridiculous. We're all grown ups.

Dew Spinner

Oh dear @Dew Spinner You silly girl. That was merely meant to lighten the mood.
What is it that your attempting to accomplish here with all this bitterness? This is a friendly game and has been a friendly forum.
Your really not even defending your Fellowship member @Eudaemonia at this point. And you're not a new player so what's up?
I agree we need a mod here. This has gone beyond ridiculous. We're all grown ups.
This is not a friendly forum by any means, I have been trying to stay out of the conversation today but others keep directly replying to me, trying to drag me back into the argument, otherwise there would be no need to reply to me.

NightshadeCS

There has been a suggestion in the past, which many of us were in favor of, of dividing the NH notifications and the trade notifications. This would solve a lot of problems, including the one that seems to be a major stumbling block to this suggestion. In glancing at the Ideas and Suggestions Forum, the thread concerning that has the "Planned" tag, so perhaps this will be implemented soon?

Unfortunately, the fact that the notification of a neighbor visit may get pushed off before we can return aid due to excessive trade notifications is not the only problem.

Full disclosure. I already spend more time playing Elvenar than I probably should. I am not going to extend that by trying to do something helpful that really does not impact the people most in need in a significant way. I will continue to check my trader as often as I can and take trades from those who need them. Any newer players that want me to help out? Send me a message! I would gladly accept a bunch of 1:4 trades to get you a stash or help you over a research hurdle.

Happy Gaming!

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
How about a discussion of what constitutes the bases of declaring a trade fair or not?
Sure, but not here, and I think there are at least a few existing discussions on the subject.
I'd still like to see you respond to the idea that production costs are the right measure of "fairness' in a trade.
Perspective.
This thread is about new players and how we can help/encourage them to stay based on the premise that seeing a bunch of trades below 1:1 seems unfair to those new vulnerable players and has the opposite effect.
If a new player only sees trades that are 10 planks for 12 marble they will have no idea about any market forces at work, only that they were randomly assigned a production type and that the one they got is either inferior to the others, or that the other players are out to profit off of them.
Neither of those possibilities will make the new player feel good.
In fact, I'm pretty confident that both of those lead to at least a little feeling of being cheated... or treated...unfairly? Yup.
So that's my position in the context of this thread which is what matters, and what I meant by you missing the point. The exact definition of "fair" is irrelevant when discussing how new players who feel the trades are unfair can be helped. Anyone who feels the trades are actually not unfair doesn't need the help and is therefore irrelevant to the conversation.

Outside of this thread, you and I both know that scrolls, bismuth, and gum all have decreased value due to supply and demand issues cause by the spire set. Despite this, I would still say that a post of 10,000 crystal asking for 12,000 scrolls is an unfair trade. That is not to say that the poster is wrong, but the situation is not "just". The scrolls boosted player did nothing to deserve a worse outcome than other players so the situation is unfair, and the trade is the unfair result of the situation.

I'm sorry to hit and run, but I can't see this thread bringing any joy today so I'll be turning off notifications until after the fat man drops off some loot. *fingers crossed for good RNG*

Merry Christmas to Everyone!

SoggyShorts

Mathematician par Excellence
Are you saying I am not allowed to respond when someone directly replies to me?
Man, you have a chip on your shoulder. Take a step back and check yourself.

You said you were trying to stay out of this thread for a while but kept getting notified of responses.
The helpful solution "turn off notifications for a while" was presented
Your interpretation was that someone was telling you what you are and are not allowed to do?

Take a step back and look again, no one is out to get you.
Hell, I'M going to take the advice she gave to YOU.

Have a merry HOHO mate, really.

Dew Spinner

Man, you have a chip on your shoulder. Take a step back and check yourself.

You said you were trying to stay out of this thread for a while but kept getting notified of responses.
The helpful solution "turn off notifications for a while" was presented
Your interpretation was that someone was telling you what you are and are not allowed to do?

Take a step back and look again, no one is out to get you.
Hell, I'M going to take the advice she gave to YOU.

Have a merry HOHO mate, really.
I have no need to turn off notifications, I was fully willing to stay out of the conversation. All day others have been trying to drag me back in to the argument by directly replying to me, there was no need for that, I had already stepped back, but I am the bad guy? If they didn't want me in the conversation the easy way to do that would be to not directly reply to me. Merry Christmas! Hope the Fat Man brings you lots of loot!

Lelanya

Scroll-Keeper, Keys to the Gems
There has been a suggestion in the past, which many of us were in favor of, of dividing the NH notifications and the trade notifications. This would solve a lot of problems, including the one that seems to be a major stumbling block to this suggestion. In glancing at the Ideas and Suggestions Forum, the thread concerning that has the "Planned" tag, so perhaps this will be implemented soon?

Unfortunately, the fact that the notification of a neighbor visit may get pushed off before we can return aid due to excessive trade notifications is not the only problem.

Full disclosure. I already spend more time playing Elvenar than I probably should. I am not going to extend that by trying to do something helpful that really does not impact the people most in need in a significant way. I will continue to check my trader as often as I can and take trades from those who need them. Any newer players that want me to help out? Send me a message! I would gladly accept a bunch of 1:4 trades to get you a stash or help you over a research hurdle.

Happy Gaming!
I agree whole heartedly with Nightshade.

Also - I have asked for Moderation under rule 2 for Forum posts. I apologize for contributing to this problem in any way. I am further going to Ignore a certain poster, and urge others to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.